Jacksons Reality Show Review – Lacks Spontaneity

Faced with the loss of a beloved brother who also was an international icon, it seems unlikely that most folks would decide, mere months later, to sign up for a cable reality show.

But the Jackson family is not like most folks. They are sui generis, an entity unto itself. And Marlon, Tito, Jermaine and Jackie — four of the original Jackson 5 — are the sort of people who would sign on to A&E’s new six-parter “The Jacksons: A Family Dynasty.” The show was to have been a one-off, framing the brothers’ reunion for a 40th anniversary album and possible tour, but after Michael Jackson’s death in June, things changed.

The series begins while the foursome are mounting that album, even working on some dance moves. They’re a little rusty but sparkle the moment they step in unison or croon out a lead vocal. (Michael never was involved in the project.) Personal lives get a light going-over, from a party with the “second-generation Jacksons” (conspicuously missing are Michael’s children) and a spotlight on Jermaine’s wife-cum-manager, Halima, who keeps him in line and provides reality checks. The brothers bicker and fist-bump their way through early recording days, and Jermaine proves to be something of a prima donna.

Michael’s death comes as a shock to all, but no one sends the cameras home — and within days the brothers are back doing talking-head interviews, picking up more or less where they left off. ( surprised anyone?! :D - my comment)

Still, anyone other than hard-core Jacksons fans will have to seek insight elsewhere. There’s a great moment when Tito asks everyone to back off of him a little; he can’t help it if he looks like their father. But overall, spontaneity is a dead thing in “Dynasty,” mainly because the stiffly formal brothers hide behind sunglasses or joke around (cue Marlon), and the episodes feel like a high-concept press kit.

Ultimately, however, the degree to which this series tweaks consciences — or piques interest — will depend on viewers, not the brothers. Whatever grievances they have with one another, or egos they battle in the studio, they are fully committed to the process. The Jacksons are the embodiment of the song “Let Me Entertain You,” and they know that, no matter what, the show must go on.

link: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ... ahoo!+Mail
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Even after all this time
The sun never says to the earth,
"You owe Me."

Look what happens with
A love like that,
It lights the Whole Sky.

This is just my opinion, but why the hell would I tune in to watch them when the main attraction is missing.  First of all, I have a feeling Michael is not going to make a guest appearance.  Second, I won't even get to see Michael's beautiful children (not that their cousins don't matter, all children matter, but still).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

They're kidding themselves if they think people aren't watching it because of MJ.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I\'m only human

twitter.com/dexember_

larab

I won't watch it. I really don't care about them or their clues(I don't think they will give any anyway).
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I hope it bombs in a hideously embarassing way- sorry that is INCREDIBLY mean but well I had to say it  :evil:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I won't be watching it. If Michael were in it, I might, but he's not. I have enough drama in my life, I don't need to see their drama and fighting. :roll:  I have a feeling the show isn't going to do too well. I wonder if it'll make it past the first episode or two? :|
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Keep the faith. The truth will prevail! :roll:  I have a feeling the show isn't going to do too well. I wonder if it'll make it past the first episode or two? :|
There is only 6 shows and 5 nites since the first 2 episodes are on the same night

It actually saddens me that peope act like j5 ain't shit...reguardless of mikes solo carer there was a j5 and they deserve credit...not only did they break records but they paved the way for new kids on the block, new edition,nsync boyz to men ect

There apart of music history. Motown history and black history...

How many motown artist are even still alive? They are not on drugs or have been in jail, there music was not negative or disrespectful...how many positive black men do we have 2 look up 2? Or even how many musicians from that era didn't use or promote drug use

Did it ever cross ur minds that maybe mike wanted this show to show who his brothers are since people seem to act like they don't exist?  Or start together as 1 unit? Or remind people where he came from? Yea mike is the king but without a j5 there would be no mike

It amazes me how negative people are on this board towards any jackson other mike
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJ-Fan

I doubt I'll be tuning in to see the shows. Partly because I don't have those channels and because I'm not particularly interested. Not cos I dislike the Jacksons, but because I just don't really wanna see them rehearsing for a comeback or whatever they're doing without Randy and especially Michael, because then they're not the full group we fell inlove with from the start. It just wouldn't seem right. I may track down highlights on youtube, but I'm not gonna go out of my way to find clips. I doubt there'll be clues and stuff, so that's another reason why I'm not interested. It'd be nice to get to know the group, but right now I'm only interested in Michael. I miss him so much!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions