~Souza~

Re: medical id bracelet
July 14, 2010, 11:26:18 AM
Quote from: "PinkTopaz"
Quote from: "~Souza~"
Quote from: "SoldierofLOVE"
allergic to thorazine?  wow.  how would they know that, i wonder?  why would michael have ever taken that?  i ask because thorazine is primarily used as an antipsychotic for people with extremely severe mental disorders (e.g. schizophrenia)

i suppose it could be used for other things like anxiety but it's such a heavy duty drug.
and not often used for other things.
anyone taking it feels like a zombie.  i know this because i used to manage an outpatient clinic for the severly mentally ill.

but, to answer your question, i don't know about recent pics with the medical bracelet.
good question.

Could it have been prescribed for Dissociative Identity Disorder?

I think so, eventhough I do strongly disagree that Michael had DID.  I have a box set of almost every interview that Michael has ever given and I've listened to a number of radio interviews.  From the time he was 11 or 12, his personality and thought constructs are extremely consistent, in my observation of these interviews. Not robotic though. Genuine and pure. I base this on having worked with people with poor to no personality construction although I'm not an expert but I have been exposed to severely mentally ill children, adolescents and adults.

Perhaps he was exposed to a certain conditioning (you've convinced me he was exposed to an awful lot of evil), but his mind and spirit was too strong for the affects to take hold to the degree of personality shredding.  

That said, I do have to wonder how the medical bracelet and thorazine came up.  

here's an article called:
CIA, mind control, Nazis, mk-ultra, ritual abuse information which references thorazine and DID.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I do think it's because of the thorazine and I do think Mike has DID. It's the base of every mind control program. Split the brain in pieces so you can program the bits and trigger every personality you want: Childlike Michael, feminine Michael, the beast on stage... You can see them in the Bashir tapes, and also in other interviews. To me it's quite clear that there is more than one Mike in that brain.

I do agree with you when you say his mind and spirit was strong, that is why he managed to go get therapy in the late 80's. If you see the Geraldo interview, I think that is where we see the real Mike.

When a person with DID gets therapy, it gets way worse before it gets better. That would explain the huge appearance changes between 2000 and 2004. After that he looked relaxed and himself, which makes me think he has it under control now. Yet it will never go away, you still have DID. That is why I think he wears the bracelet.

I want to point out that I am not saying he has been someone else every time we saw him in between those years. I am also not saying that one of his alters was a humanitarian and that he himself is a selfish dick, I think the real Mike is the person all the fans love so much, although I do think he might be more 'normal' than many think.

I hope I expressed that in a way I didn't offend anyone, but this is what I truly believe, the signs are everywhere.
Yes, you said just what I think, too, BUT I know there are doubles in "Living With", because when I watched it on YT all the way in 2008 when I knew nothing about him, I noticed that he just looked so ridiculously different from interview to interview- and that show still puzzles me so dang much because I just don't know why he would do it if he knew he was going through that alter therapy..

I am still puzzled on all the Mikes as well, and it will probably stay that way  :lol:
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

July 14, 2010, 11:30:18 AM
O-o-oh, please don't say that, Souza, I wanna kno-o-w somehow somewa-a-y..! *collapse*
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Glinda

July 14, 2010, 11:59:31 AM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  ( whole story)

Adverse effects

The main side effects of chlorpromazine are due to its anticholinergic properties; these effects overshadow and counteract, to some extent, the extrapyramidal side effects typical of many early generation antipsychotics. These include sedation, slurred speech, dry mouth, constipation, urinary retention and possible lowering of seizure threshold. Appetite may be increased with resultant weight gain, Glucose tolerance may be impaired.[21] It lowers blood pressure with accompanying dizziness.[14] Chlorpromazine, which has sedating effects, will increase sleep time when given at high doses or when first administered, although tolerance usually develops.[22] Sleep cycles or REM sleep is not altered by antipsychotics.[23]

Dermatological reactions are frequently observed. In fact three types of skin disorders are observed: hypersensitivity reaction, contact dermatitis, and photosensitivity. During long-term therapy in schizophrenic patients chlorpromazine can induce abnormal pigmentation of the skin. This can be manifested as gray-blue pigmentation in regions exposed to sunlight.[22]

Scary stuff. This stuff is developed and used since the 50'ies.  Makes me think about mk-ultra as well. That was also in the 50'ies.

Thorazine and mkultra> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login :shock:

:shock:  :shock:  :shock: "Various forms of punishment were used against members considered to be serious disciplinary problems. Methods included imprisonment in a 6 x 4 x 3-foot (1.8 x 1.2 x 0.9m) plywood box and forcing children to spend a night at the bottom of a well, sometimes upside-down. For some members who attempted to escape, drugs such as Thorazine, sodium pentathol, chloral hydrate, Demerol and Valium were administered in an 'extended care unit'."

source: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This is so sick!
Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 01:37:04 PM by Glinda
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

July 14, 2010, 12:44:08 PM
Quote from: "Glinda"

Adverse effects

The main side effects of chlorpromazine are due to its anticholinergic properties; these effects overshadow and counteract, to some extent, the extrapyramidal side effects typical of many early generation antipsychotics. These include sedation, slurred speech, dry mouth, constipation, urinary retention and possible lowering of seizure threshold. Appetite may be increased with resultant weight gain, Glucose tolerance may be impaired.[21] It lowers blood pressure with accompanying dizziness.[14] Chlorpromazine, which has sedating effects, will increase sleep time when given at high doses or when first administered, although tolerance usually develops.[22] Sleep cycles or REM sleep is not altered by antipsychotics.[23]

Dermatological reactions are frequently observed. In fact three types of skin disorders are observed: hypersensitivity reaction, contact dermatitis, and photosensitivity. During long-term therapy in schizophrenic patients chlorpromazine can induce abnormal pigmentation of the skin. This can be manifested as gray-blue pigmentation in regions exposed to sunlight.[22]

Scary stuff. This stuff is developed and used since the 50'ies.  Makes me think about mk-ultra as well. That was also in the 50'ies.

Thorazine and mkultra> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. :shock:

:shock:  :shock:  :shock: "Various forms of punishment were used against members considered to be serious disciplinary problems. Methods included imprisonment in a 6 x 4 x 3-foot (1.8 x 1.2 x 0.9m) plywood box and forcing children to spend a night at the bottom of a well, sometimes upside-down. For some members who attempted to escape, drugs such as Thorazine, sodium pentathol, chloral hydrate, Demerol and Valium were administered in an 'extended care unit'."

This is so sick!

Could explain the allergy to the sun. Gonna read some more about this. Gonna click that link as well, not sure if I want to read it though...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MissG

July 14, 2010, 12:55:50 PM
allergic to thorazine?  wow.  how would they know that, i wonder?  why would michael have ever taken that?  i ask because thorazine is primarily used as an antipsychotic for people with extremely severe mental disorders (e.g. schizophrenia)

i suppose it could be used for other things like anxiety but it's such a heavy duty drug.
and not often used for other things.
anyone taking it feels like a zombie.  i know this because i used to manage an outpatient clinic for the severly mentally ill.

but, to answer your question, i don't know about recent pics with the medical bracelet.
good question.

Could it have been prescribed for Dissociative Identity Disorder?

I would not say that. May be a Medical doctor can confirm if that drug would help just for that porpouse.

The DID is usually trated by psychotherapy during a long period. If the client shows other symtoms associated to other causes, the doctor would prescribe the right drug to start with the approach.

That drug anyway, it´s pretty old.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

July 14, 2010, 12:57:11 PM
Quote from: "Glinda"

Adverse effects

Thorazine and mkultra> You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login. :shock:

This is so sick!

Could explain the allergy to the sun. Gonna read some more about this. Gonna click that link as well, not sure if I want to read it though...[/quote

Wow.. I always assumed that vitiligo caused sensitivity to the sun ut haven't actually researched it. Either way it could al be related somehow. The throazine link isn't working for me...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
What you have just witnessed could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn’t. It’s the beginning.

MissG

July 14, 2010, 01:05:01 PM

I do think it's because of the thorazine and I do think Mike has DID. It's the base of every mind control program. Split the brain in pieces so you can program the bits and trigger every personality you want]

It could be possible that MJ suffered from DID, but on other terms than the ones you point, and I explain why.

MJ did not have a common childhood. After reading some of his inner thoughts as how he perceived his childhood and observing and analyzing some of the interviews, I can say that MJ neededto create an alter ego in order to live his life. It´s human nature ;)

Not really DID, as becoming someone else, but DID within the proyection of the "normal, day by day" person that he wasn´t.
That scenario could have been increasing due to all the critics that he needed to face up when "acting normal", like could be playing with kids.

Let´s look at MJ as 2 individuals who need to become 1 whole. The child and the mature star.
One can see many times that MJ´s behaviour does not match with "what is expected" from a "normal" dude.

When stress became too much for MJ1, MJ1 switched to MJ2 to protect himself from the enviroment, but not neccesarely having the profile of DID.

To me, looks like 2 individuals who know each other, the inner "this is the man I am" and the outer "This is the man I became for others".

When a person with DID gets therapy, it gets way worse before it gets better.

That is not correct.

I think the real Mike is the person all the fans love so much, although I do think he might be more 'normal' than many think.
He is just, Human, but a very special one ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

July 14, 2010, 01:16:48 PM
Why is it not correct that a person with DID getting treatment gets worse before getting better? I do not know either way I am just asking what evidence or research you have done to come to your conclusion. Thanks!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
What you have just witnessed could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn’t. It’s the beginning.

MissG

July 14, 2010, 01:21:45 PM
Quote from: "jacilovesmichael"
Why is it not correct that a person with DID getting treatment gets worse before getting better? I do not know either way I am just asking what evidence or research you have done to come to your conclusion. Thanks!

Me? Oh, I just went to wikipedia to speculate about that subject because someone told me and I heard that another person said that it could be... :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

~Souza~

July 14, 2010, 01:43:01 PM
Dissociative Identity Disorder
Alejandra Swartz
December 10, 2001

Dissociation is the state in which a person becomes separated from reality.  Dissociative Identity Disorder (DID), sometimes referred to as Multiple Personality Disorder (MPD), is a disorder involving a disturbance of identity in which two or more separate and distinct personality states (or identities) control the individual’s behavior at different times.  When under the control of one identity, the person is usually unable to remember some of the events that occurred while other personality was in control.  The different identities are referred to as “alters”.

Alters may have experienced a distinct personal history, self image and identity, including a separate name, as well as age.  At least two of these personalities recurrently take control of the person’s behavior.

Multiplicity simply put by the majority of multiples is about hiding, pain and survival no more no less.  It is a desperate completely creative and wonderful survival mechanism for the child who endures repeated abuse mentally, emotionally and physically it may be their only escape.  Dissociation is a common defense mechanism against childhood abuse, there is no adult onset of multiple personality.  Only children have the flexibility to fracture off from the “core” personality and escape the traumatic and painful memory.  The common belief among most professionals is the personality splintered or fractured before the age of five.

Those with MPD have a dominant personality that determines the individual’s behavior.  Each personality has a separate and consistent pattern of perceiving their environment, themselves and others.  Each multiple has a specific way they see the inside of their mind, where the alters   live when they are not in control of the body.  Examples include stages, tunnels, houses and levels.  These are their internal houses where they go when they are not out or when they are hiding.  The mind of a multiple personality is like a roaming house in which two or more individuals co-exist.  When one personality is in charge, the others remain hidden in the inner recesses of the brain.  Each acts independently of the others and is totally different from them.

Virtually, every victim of multiple personality in time develops an ISH- an Inner Self Helper- described by Dr. Ralph Allison, a separate personality whose sole function seems to be to prevent the other personalities from tearing the physical body apart and therefore ending their own existences. (Hawksworth & Schwarz, The Five of Me. Page 14)

The person with DID may have as few as two alters, or as many as 100.  The average number is about 10.  Often alters are stable over time, continuing to play specific roles in the person’s life for years.  Some alters may harbor aggressive tendencies, directed toward individuals in the person’s environment or towards other alters within the person.

The alter’s job is to protect the host personality from the memory of the trauma therefore, it is not necessary for all alters to look and act differently than the host.

Typical types of alters:

A depressed, exhausted host.

A strong, angry protector.

A scared, hurt child.

A helper.

An internal persecutor who blames one or more of the alters for the abuse they have endured.  (Sometimes named after the actual abuser)

Common Terminology of MPD
Personality An entity with a firm, persistent, and well-founded sense of self and of a characteristic and consistent pattern of behavior and feelings in response to stimuli.

Birth Person also known as the Original Personality This is the person that was present from birth, the one born into the body.  For the majority of people, this is the person that began life before the multiplicity was created, though not for all.

Core Personality_ The general belief is that this is the birth personality.  The thought held by some in the psychological community is this person is often asleep or at least very distant from the system.  Believed to be fragile, and one of the last personalities to be found.  Although, this is not always the case.

Host_ For most multiples, this is the personality which most often is present and is in control of the body.  This is the person who deals with daily functioning, and the system within, as a whole.  Some multiples may have more several personalities that serve as their hosts.

Alter_ A generic term for any personality useful because, in clinical situations, it often us unclear which personalities are original, host, and so forth, or whether an entity is sufficiently distinct and elaborate for a more precise label.

Inner Self Helper (ISH) _ Described first by Allison (1974), ISH’s are serene, rational and objective commentators and advisors.

Co-Consciousness_ The degree of knowledge and awareness that alters have with one another.  They can communicate and work together as a group and have very little if any time loss.

Integration_ This is the process of merging or joining alters so that the multiple becomes one person.

Statistics
Dissociative disorders are not common psychiatric illnesses but are not rare.  Few good epidemiological studies have been performed some estimate 1 per 10,000 in the population but higher proportions are reported among psychiatric populations between 0.5% and 2%.  A sharp rise in reported cases may be attributed to greater awareness of the diagnosis and misdiagnosis of DID as schizophrenia or borderline personality disorder.  Some experts attribute possible under diagnosis to family disavowal of sexual and physical abuse.  However, there has been controversy about possible over diagnosis of the syndrome as well.  Individuals who most commonly have the disorder are highly hypnotizable and therefore especially sensitive to suggestion or cultural influences.

Some studies show that women make up the majority of these cases 90% or more.  Both in the United States and in non Western Countries the most common dissociative disorder diagnosis falls into the “not otherwise specified” category.  Dissociative disorders are the world, although the structure of the symptoms varies across cultures.

Even after extensive studies were begun on the phenomenon of the multiple personality in about the year 1919, most psychiatrists insisted that men did not suffer from it, only women.  Today we know that approximately 20% of the recorded cases are male.  But the disorder itself is still shrouded in mystery the subject of a good deal of controversy.  Perhaps 50% of all psychiatrists deny that it even exists.  Research has shown that the average age for the initial development of alters is 5.9 years.  (Hawskworth & Schwarz. The Five of Me. Page 11)  

Symptoms

Voices_ Approximately one third of patients complain of auditory or visual hallucinations, it is common for these patients to complain that they hear voices in their heads but are merely the personalities within, communicating with one another.  Often times, the MOD is misdiagnosed as a schizophrenic due to “hearing voices”, but the multiple personality hears the voices inside their head in contrast to the schizophrenic which hears from the outside of themselves.  Often a multiple before diagnosis will speak of noise or clatter inside making it difficult for them to concentrate.  It is possible for the multiple to hear many distinct and separate voices, of all ages talking at the same time.

Physical Differences_ Each alter within a multiple has their own history, personalities that are unique to them, body movements, facial expressions, the way they express verbal communication, voice tone and pitch.  You might encounter a small child who hides her face and speaks in a childlike voice.  Another child within the same system of personalities might be gregarious and charming.  The description above would hold true for any age alter and are just tow examples of the variance your might find within the same age group of any of the alters.

Handwriting Differences_ In diagnosing MPD another indicator is the difference in handwriting styles.

Time Loss_ Time loss is quite common in the non-conscious multiple.  For the non-conscious multiple the time losses can be devastating.  Time loss can occur when something triggers an alter that the host is unaware of.  These individuals might find themselves in a place or talking to someone they don’t even know.  The length and duration of the time loss depends on how the multiple’s system works and if a more dominant personality can remain in control.

Depression_ Suicidal and self-mutilation is a common in this group, body memories and nightmares.

Children with DID have a great variety of symptoms including some of the ones mentioned above, depressive tendencies, anxiety, conduct problems, episodes of amnesia, difficulty paying attention in school and hallucinations.  Often these children are misdiagnosed as having schizophrenia.  By the time the child reaches adolescence, it is less difficult for a mental health professional to recognize the symptoms and make a diagnosis of DID.

Some two hundred cases have been reliably recorded in medical literature and several recent ones have proved similar in a variety of respects. For example: Chris Sizemore (10), Sybil Dorsett (16), Billy Milligan (10).  (Ian Wilson. All in the Mind. Pages 128-135)

Treatment
Treatment for DID consists primarily of psychotherapy with hypnosis.  The therapist seeks to make contact with as many alters as possible and to understand their roles and functions in the patient’s life.  In particular, the therapist seeks to form an effective relationship with any personalities that are responsible for violent or self-destructive behavior, and to curb this behavior.  The therapist seeks to establish communication among the personality states and to find ones that have memories of traumatic events in the patients past.  The gold of the therapist is to enable the patient to achieve breakdown of the patients separate identities and their unification into a single identity.

Pharmacological approaches involve balancing therapeutic benefit and risk.  Antianxiety medications are most commonly used and may be helpful in reducing the amplification of depersonalization and derealization are also side effects of antianxiety drugs, so their therapeutic response, may also increase symptoms, leading to a spiral of increasing symptoms and drug dosage but without therapeutic benefit.

Conclusion
We have seen, then, that multiple personality is a psychiatric condition under diagnosed.  The personalities do not have an extraterrestrial origin, but can be traced back to the characteristics of real-life persons who have formed a strong impression upon the sufferer, who has then personalized them and unconsciously developed them into a character of his own.  In short, each personality is nothing more than a satellite, a superficial fragment split off from the parent individual as a result of extreme stress-yet from our point of view the equally important aspect is that each is extraordinary convincing. (Wilson, Ian. All in the Mind. P.136)

MPD has always fascinated me, from the phenomenon of being different personalities to the amazing survival that these people have, because that’s how they learn how to survive by slipping into a state of mind to the point that they think that all this abuse is not happening to them but to someone else.  But it is sad though that many doctors do not detect the problem until after is too late in some cases and misdiagnose to be something else.  I did notice that as it was said by Ian Wilson in his book, every personality has his own job as we can say the reason why they are there.  The child who was innocent when all this abuse started happening for example, we have the aggressive protector, we have the helper, etc.

I have always admired these people their defense mechanism against all this abuse is extraordinary and for those of us who do not understand about this illness it would be great to read about it and even watch videos about it.  For me it has made me understand more about it and comprehend the pain they go thru especially since children are the ones who are able to split into these states.

Dissociative identity disorder

Previously known as multiple personality disorder, dissociative identity disorder (DID) is a condition in which a person has more than one distinct identity or personality state. At least two of these personalities repeatedly assert themselves to control the affected person's behavior. Each personality state has a distinct name, past, identity, and self-image.

Psychiatrists and psychologists use a handbook called the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders , fourth edition text revision or DSM-IV-TR , to diagnose mental disorders. In this handbook, DID is classified as a dissociative disorder. Other mental disorders in this category include depersonalization disorder , dissociative fugue , and dissociative amnesia . It should be noted, however, that the nature of DID and even its existence is debated by psychiatrists and psychologists.

Description

"Dissociation" describes a state in which the integrated functioning of a person's identity, including consciousness, memory and awareness of surroundings, is disrupted or eliminated. Dissociation is a mechanism that allows the mind to separate or compartmentalize certain memories or thoughts from normal consciousness. These memories are not erased, but are buried and may resurface at a later time. Dissociation is related to hypnosis in that hypnotic trance also involves a temporarily altered state of consciousness. Dissociation occurs along a continuum or spectrum, and may be mild and part of the range of normal experience, or may be severe and pose a problem for the individual experiencing the dissociation. An example of everyday, mild dissociation is when a person is driving for a long period on the highway and takes several exits without remembering them. In severe, impairing dissociation, an individual experiences a lack of awareness of important aspects of his or her identity.

The phrase "dissociative identity disorder" replaced "multiple personality disorder" because the new name emphasizes the disruption of a person's identity that characterizes the disorder. A person with the illness is consciously aware of one aspect of his or her personality or self while being totally unaware of, or dissociated from, other aspects of it. This is a key feature of the disorder. It only takes two distinct identities or personality states to qualify as DID but there have been cases in which 100 distinct alternate personalities, or alters, were reported. Fifty percent of DID patients harbor fewer than 11 identities.

Because the alters alternate in controlling the patient's consciousness and behavior, the affected patient experiences long gaps in memory— gaps that far exceed typical episodes of forgetting that occur in those unaffected by DID.

Despite the presence of distinct personalities, in many cases one primary identity exists. It uses the name the patient was born with and tends to be quiet, dependent, depressed and guilt-ridden. The alters have their own names and unique traits. They are distinguished by different temperaments, likes, dislikes, manners of expression and even physical characteristics such as posture and body language. It is not unusual for patients with DID to have alters of different genders, sexual orientations, ages, or nationalities. Typically, it takes just seconds for one personality to replace another but, in rarer instances, the shift can be gradual. In either case, the emergence of one personality, and the retreat of another, is often triggered by a stressful event.

People with DID tend to have other severe disorders as well, such as depression, substance abuse, borderline personality disorder and eating disorders, among others. The degree of impairment ranges from mild to severe, and complications may include suicide attempts, self-mutilation, violence, or drug abuse.

Left untreated, DID can last a lifetime. Treatment for the disorder consists primarily of individual psychotherapy .

Causes and symptoms

Causes

The severe dissociation that characterizes patients with DID is currently understood to result from a set of causes:

an innate ability to dissociate easily
repeated episodes of severe physical or sexual abuse in childhood
lack of a supportive or comforting person to counteract abusive relative(s)
influence of other relatives with dissociative symptoms or disorders
The primary cause of DID appears to be severe and prolonged trauma experienced during childhood. This trauma can be associated with emotional, physical or sexual abuse, or some combination. One theory is that young children, faced with a routine of torture, sexual abuse or neglect , dissociate themselves from their trauma by creating separate identities or personality states. A manufactured alter may suffer while the primary identity "escapes" the unbearable experience. Dissociation, which is easy for a young child to achieve, thus becomes a useful defense. This strategy displaces the suffering onto another identity. Over time, the child, who on average is around six years old at the time of the appearance of the first alter, may create many more.

As stated, there is considerable controversy about the nature, and even the existence, of dissociative identity disorder. One cause for the skepticism is the alarming increase in reports of the disorder since the 1980s. An area of contention is the notion of suppressed memories, a crucial component in DID. Many experts in memory research say that it is nearly impossible for anyone to remember things that happened before the age three, the age when some DID patients supposedly experience abuse, but the brain's storage, retrieval, and interpretation of childhood memories are still not fully understood. The relationship of dissociative disorders to childhood abuse has led to intense controversy and lawsuits concerning the accuracy of childhood memories. Because childhood trauma is a factor in the development of DID, some doctors think it may be a variation of post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD). In both DID and PTSD, dissociation is a prominent mechanism.

Symptoms

The major dissociative symptoms experienced by DID patients are amnesia , depersonalization , derealization, and identity disturbances.

AMNESIA. Amnesia in DID is marked by gaps in the patient's memory for long periods of their past, and, in some cases, their entire childhood. Most DID patients have amnesia, or "lose time," for periods when another personality is "out." They may report finding items in their house that they can't remember having purchased, finding notes written in different handwriting, or other evidence of unexplained activity.

DEPERSONALIZATION. Depersonalization is a dissociative symptom in which the patient feels that his or her body is unreal, is changing, or is dissolving. Some DID patients experience depersonalization as feeling to be outside of their body, or as watching a movie of themselves.

DEREALIZATION. Derealization is a dissociative symptom in which the patient perceives the external environment as unreal. Patients may see walls, buildings, or other objects as changing in shape, size, or color. DID patients may fail to recognize relatives or close friends.

IDENTITY DISTURBANCES. Persons suffering from DID usually have a main personality that psychiatrists refer to as the "host." This is generally not the person's original personality, but is rather one developed in response to childhood trauma. It is usually this personality that seeks psychiatric help. DID patients are often frightened by their dissociative experiences, which can include losing awareness of hours or even days, meeting people who claim to know them by another name, or feeling "out of body."

Psychiatrists refer to the phase of transition between alters as the "switch." After a switch, people assume whole new physical postures, voices, and vocabularies. Specific circumstances or stressful situations may bring out particular identities. Some patients have histories of erratic performance in school or in their jobs caused by the emergence of alternate personalities during examinations or other stressful situations. Each alternate identity takes control one at a time, denying control to the others. Patients vary with regard to their alters' awareness of one another. One alter may not acknowledge the existence of others or it may criticize other alters. At times during therapy, one alter may allow another to take control.

Demographics

Studies in North America and Europe indicate that as many as 5% of patients in psychiatric wards have undiagnosed DID. Partially hospitalized and out-patients may have an even higher incidence. For every one man diagnosed with DID, there are eight or nine women. Among children, boys and girls diagnosed with DID are pretty closely matched 1:1. No one is sure why this discrepancy between diagnosed adults and children exists.

Diagnosis

The DSM-IV-TR lists four diagnostic criteria for identifying DID and differentiating it from similar disorders:

Traumatic stressor: The patient has been exposed to a catastrophic event involving actual or threatened death or injury, or a serious physical threat to him- or herself or others. During exposure to the trauma, the person's emotional response was marked by intense fear, feelings of helplessness, or horror. In general, stressors caused intentionally by human beings (genocide, rape, torture, abuse, etc.) are experienced as more traumatic than accidents, natural disasters, or "acts of God."
The demonstration of two or more distinct identities or personality states in an individual. Each separate identity must have its own way of thinking about, perceiving, relating to and interacting with the environment and self.
Two of the identities assume control of the patient's behavior, one at a time and repeatedly.
Extended periods of forgetfulness lasting too long to be considered ordinary forgetfulness.
Determination that the above symptoms are not due to drugs, alcohol or other substances and that they can't be attributed to any other general medical condition. It is also necessary to rule out fantasy play or imaginary friends when considering a diagnosis of DID in a child.
Proper diagnosis of DID is complicated because some of the symptoms of DID overlap with symptoms of other mental disorders. Misdiagnoses are common and include depression, schizophrenia , borderline personality disorder, somatization disorder , and panic disorder .

Because the extreme dissociative experiences related to this disorder can be frightening, people with the disorder may go to emergency rooms or clinics because they fear they are going insane.

When a doctor is evaluating a patient for DID, he or she will first rule out physical conditions that sometimes produce amnesia, depersonalization, or derealization. These conditions include head injuries, brain disease (especially seizure disorders), side effects from medications, substance abuse or intoxication, AIDS dementia complex, or recent periods of extreme physical stress and sleeplessness. In some cases, the doctor may give the patient an electroencephalograph (EEG) to exclude epilepsy or other seizure disorders. The physician also must consider whether the patient is malingering and/or offering fictitious complaints.

If the patient appears to be physically healthy, the doctor will next rule out psychotic disturbances, including schizophrenia. Many patients with DID are misdiagnosed as schizophrenic because they may "hear" their alters "talking" inside their heads. If the doctor suspects DID, he or she can use a screening test called the Dissociative Experiences Scale (DES). If the patient has a high score on this test, he or she can be evaluated further with the Dissociative Disorders Interview Schedule (DDIS) or the Structured Clinical Interview for Dissociative Disorders (SCID-D).

Treatments

Treatment of DID may last for five to seven years in adults and usually requires several different treatment methods.

Psychotherapy

Ideally, patients with DID should be treated by a therapist with specialized training in dissociation. This specialized training is important because the patient's personality switches can be confusing or startling. In addition, many patients with DID have hostile or suicidal alter personalities. Most therapists who treat DID patients have rules or contracts for treatment that include such issues as the patient's responsibility for his or her safety. Psychotherapy for DID patients typically has several stages: an initial phase for uncovering and "mapping" the patient's alters; a phase of treating the traumatic memories and "fusing" the alters; and a phase of consolidating the patient's newly integrated personality.

Most therapists who treat multiples, or DID patients, recommend further treatment after personality integration, on the grounds that the patient has not learned the social skills that most people acquire in adolescence and early adult life. In addition, family therapy is often recommended to help the patient's family understand DID and the changes that occur during personality reintegration.

Many DID patients are helped by group therapy as well as individual treatment, provided that the group is limited to people with dissociative disorders. DID patients sometimes have setbacks in mixed therapy groups because other patients are bothered or frightened by their personality switches.

Medications

Some doctors will prescribe tranquilizers or antidepressants for DID patients because their alter personalities may have anxiety or mood disorders. However, other therapists who treat DID patients prefer to keep medications to a minimum because these patients can easily become psychologically dependent on drugs. In addition, many DID patients have at least one alter who abuses drugs or alcohol, substances which are dangerous in combination with most tranquilizers.

Hypnosis

While not always necessary, hypnosis (or hypnotherapy ) is a standard method of treatment for DID patients. Hypnosis may help patients recover repressed ideas and memories. Further, hypnosis can also be used to control problematic behaviors that many DID patients exhibit, such as self-mutilation, or eating disorders like bulimia nervosa . In the later stages of treatment, the therapist may use hypnosis to "fuse" the alters as part of the patient's personality integration process.

Prognosis

Unfortunately, no systematic studies of the long-term outcome of DID currently exist. Some therapists believe that the prognosis for recovery is excellent for children and good for most adults. Although treatment takes several years, it is often ultimately effective. As a general rule, the earlier the patient is diagnosed and properly treated, the better the prognosis. Patients may find they are bothered less by symptoms as they advance into middle age, with some relief beginning to appear in the late 40s. Stress or substance abuse, however, can cause a relapse of symptoms at any time.

Prevention

Prevention of DID requires intervention in abusive families and treating children with dissociative symptoms as early as possible.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

July 14, 2010, 01:52:46 PM
Quote from: "Gema"
Quote from: "jacilovesmichael"

Me? Oh, I just went to wikipedia to speculate about that subject because someone told me and I heard that another person said that it could be... :lol:

She asked a genuine question, I would like to know where you base that on as well.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MissG

July 14, 2010, 01:57:14 PM
I think that those questions are out of the point and very unrespectful.
I gave my answers already quoting your previous post.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

~Souza~

July 14, 2010, 02:11:42 PM

I'm sorry, but we both mean no disrespect, but you only said "That is not correct."

Because I am interested in DID and its treatment, I would like to know where you get that info from. As far as I know, and i have read quite a bit about it, in most therapies it gets worse before the alters merge. So I do hope you can enlighten us.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MissG

July 14, 2010, 02:27:38 PM

I'm sorry, but we both mean no disrespect, but you only said "That is not correct."

Because I am interested in DID and its treatment, I would like to know where you get that info from. As far as I know, and i have read quite a bit about it, in most therapies it gets worse before the alters merge. So I do hope you can enlighten us.

You wrote:
I answered that is not correct.

Now you wrote:
in most therapies it gets worse before the alters merge.
This statement would be more accurate.

Lost in the translation ;)

I am far from enlighten anybody.
Every therapy is different for each individual and each individual will evolve differently as well.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

~Souza~

July 14, 2010, 02:32:37 PM

You wrote:
I answered that is not correct.

Now you wrote:
in most therapies it gets worse before the alters merge.
This statement would be more accurate.

Lost in the translation ;)

I am far from enlighten anybody.
Every therapy is different for each individual and each individual will evolve differently as well.

Means your statement "That is not correct" was also far from accurate, because it is true, yet not always in therapies where no pharmaceuticals are being used. In most therapies though they are used.

Means the change in behavior and appearance between 2000 and 2004 is not that strange.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions