When the "death" news broke on TMZ I thought I would wait until it was confirmed on a serious and reliable news source such as BBC or Associated Press. Where did these news/press organizations get their information from? Was it TMZ? Or was CNN the first "serious" outlet?
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Isn't it interesting that TMZ and CNN are owned by the same company?  AOL/Time Warner.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I am obsessed with a man I have never met, yet, I feel like I have known him forever.

MJJLives, Yes that was my recollection from reading the old forums. Also when attorney/lawyer Brian Oxman was surrounded by press in LA he seemed intent on getting to a CNN satellite truck. I wonder why. I think we know.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

pepper

This link is to a great article from NPR, if you link to it and scroll to the bottom (read from the end of the article to the beginning) it chronicles the timeline of who said what, and when (in terms of the media reporting the "death")

Of interest is this,

"Updated 7:35 PM  CNN just confirmed that Michael Jackson is dead, more than two hours after TMZ.com first reported it. They got it from the Los Angeles coroner. Better safe than sorry, CNN clearly decided.
CNN now has Fred Corral of the LA Coroners office who says Jackson was pronounced dead at the hospital at 2:26 pm, Los Angeles time. LAPD detectives notified the coroners office. Corral says the coroner won't have any information until an investigation is done. The autopsy would likely be done Friday."

At one time I saw a video on youtube (sorry, it was a long time ago and I do not have the link) and the CNN reporter was talking to "Fred Corral" on the phone, getting this information.  So I don't know if there is any filmed coverage of "Fred Corral" giving this information, or if the confirmation CNN got was only over the phone.  I don't know how reliable it is to confirm someone's true identity over the phone, but I guess CNN believed they were really talking to the Coroner's office.  Also, it is interesting that this says the LAPD notified the Coroner's office.  Who notified the LAPD?  If UCLA notified the LAPD of the "death", then why didn't an official from the LAPD or UCLA announce the "death" at UCLA, instead of Jermaine?

Here's the link

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

pepper, Thank you so much for posting this link. It's very helpful to see a timeline regarding the media reporting of the "death".
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions