Did Michael Start Some Rumors Himself?
October 25, 2010, 03:52:37 PM
The story about him sleeping in a hyperbaric chamber..

The story about him trying to buy the bones of the Elephant Man..

Were these rumors started by Michael himself?
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Do

Re: Did Michael Start Some Rumors Himself?
October 25, 2010, 04:12:16 PM
According to MJ's former publicist, Michael Levine, yes, they started those rumours, with Michael's approval. But I believe only the 2 stories you mentioned.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind."
Bertrand Russel

October 25, 2010, 04:22:04 PM
According to one author, he started the real Billie Jean saga.  In my opinion, that was brilliant and it worked like a charm.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

October 25, 2010, 06:13:55 PM
I know it's common among stars to create stories about themselves so they can appear in the media as often as possible; stories which make them more interesting to the everyday people.
I'm almost sure Michael created some rumours about himself too...unfortunately. If he really did, then (even though it was a common thing to do for people like him) probably it was partly his mistake that later he had to suffer by the uncountable rumours the media found out... It's very sad - this entertainment business has many disadvantages.
I feel sorry for Michael for what he had to suffer because of the media, but at the same time I find it a bad decision to create rumours (if he really did) to be more successful.
Lying hardly ever brings positive outcomes...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

all4loveandbelieve

October 25, 2010, 06:33:48 PM
He probably did not think before he started these rumours, that in the long run things can get out of hand. He probably found it funny, than everyone (media) thought he was a freak. Once he tried to say it was not true nobody believed him and the media made a mountain out of a moe hill. If you noticed that's when everything started going down hill for him. I think Michael did not need any promoting, he did not need to start these rumours he was already the king of pop and nothing would have changed that. He is the best... Love and blessings.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I'm happy to be alive, I'm happy to be who I am.
Michael Jackson

October 25, 2010, 07:12:08 PM
Quote from: "all4loveandbelieve"
He probably did not think before he started these rumours, that in the long run things can get out of hand. He probably found it funny, than everyone (media) thought he was a freak. Once he tried to say it was not true nobody believed him and the media made a mountain out of a moe hill. If you noticed that's when everything started going down hill for him. I think Michael did not need any promoting, he did not need to start these rumours he was already the king of pop and nothing would have changed that. He is the best... Love and blessings.
He was too young then I think (even though he was in the business since ever) and probably just followed what others did and what his manager told him... Everyone makes mistakes...

And yes, he would have been just as a great star without those rumours - if not greater (without haters).

"The least initial deviation from the truth is multiplied later a thousandfold."  ~Aristotle
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 25, 2010, 08:24:44 PM
Who cares, however the media and other people took it to the extreme with their other rumors and lies that was very, very hurtful and disrespectful.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 25, 2010, 08:49:14 PM
Quote from: "dominque"
Who cares

I do...Otherwise I would not have asked...I find it to be interesting
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Andrea

October 25, 2010, 10:14:48 PM
LMP said Michael is a master at manipulating the media and I had heard before that it was him who started those rumors - to create a mystery.  I also remember reading that when he was giving the tabloids the oxygen chamber and elephant man stories that he wanted them to pepper in the word "bizarre".  

Perhaps it backfired on him but it kept people wondering which is what his goal was, I think.

And speaking of starting rumors, who do you think started the rumor back in Dec '08/Jan '09 that MJ "would be dead in 6 months"?   ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 26, 2010, 12:39:33 AM
Quote from: "Andrea"
LMP said Michael is a master at manipulating the media and I had heard before that it was him who started those rumors - to create a mystery.  I also remember reading that when he was giving the tabloids the oxygen chamber and elephant man stories that he wanted them to pepper in the word "bizarre".  

Perhaps it backfired on him but it kept people wondering which is what his goal was, I think.

And speaking of starting rumors, who do you think started the rumor back in Dec '08/Jan '09 that MJ "would be dead in 6 months"?   ;)
Possibly.

By the way I agree with whoever said it that starting them himself wasn't a good idea.. He was "mysterious" enough back then, anyway..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 26, 2010, 06:44:27 AM

And speaking of starting rumors, who do you think started the rumor back in Dec '08/Jan '09 that MJ "would be dead in 6 months"?
  ;)
Lies usually backfires, that's why I worry so much what will happen when Michael comes back.
Of course, now, as so many people are involved in this hoax, I'm sure it's very well planned, and the goal is something which is acceptable by everyone involved. Acceptable enough that they even lie for it.
But I still have a bad feeling about this whole thing... Mainly because I don't think or feel that they started it because Michael's life was threatened. That would be the only acceptable reason for this hoax for me...

And this is what I'm afraid will happen (just as it happened after the oxygen chamber story with other things Michael said and were really true):
Liars when they speak the truth are not believed.
Aristotle
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Andrea

October 26, 2010, 08:25:08 AM
Quote from: "DREAMSandTRUTH"

And speaking of starting rumors, who do you think started the rumor back in Dec '08/Jan '09 that MJ "would be dead in 6 months"?
  ;)
Lies usually backfires, that's why I worry so much what will happen when Michael comes back.
Of course, now, as so many people are involved in this hoax, I'm sure it's very well planned, and the goal is something which is acceptable by everyone involved. Acceptable enough that they even lie for it.
But I still have a bad feeling about this whole thing... Mainly because I don't think or feel that they started it because Michael's life was threatened. That would be the only acceptable reason for this hoax for me...

And this is what I'm afraid will happen (just as it happened after the oxygen chamber story with other things Michael said and were really true):
Liars when they speak the truth are not believed.
Aristotle

I think that when/if Michael BAMs, he will definitely have some explaining to do and I'm sure that his explanation will be quite profound and many people will accept it whatever it is.  Many won't, but Michael knows this.  I don't think Michael is a bad person for lying - he has his reasons and only he knows for sure what those reasons are.  And if he has to lie then he probably didn't really have a choice about it.  He is very brave for taking all the risks involved with faking his death.

I think that we are an integral part of the hoax, he needs the believers to figure out the clues he left for us, to help spread awareness of the evils going on in the world and to vindicate him for all the lies that were said about him.  When he BAMs, he will need us there to say I told you so to all those who just accepted that he "died" and refused to see all the evidence and clues that were left to those willing to look beyond mainstream media reporting.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 26, 2010, 09:26:33 AM
I also remember hearing a long time ago that the Elephant Man/hyperbaric chamber rumours were leaked by MJ's camp as he wanted to create an auro of mystery and fascination around himself, the reasons I read at the time were his fascination with PT Barnum and Howard Hughes, people who are even today still remembered for their eccentricities and oddness.  I do also remember reading that as soon as Michael made himself less accessible to the press and wouldn't play to their tune as it were, they turned on him and decided there were enough wild rumours circulating that they could print whatever they liked and people would likely believe it.  Maybe they discovered he himself had started those two rumours himself and they didn't like being used for his benefit so they decided to teach him a lesson.  By anyone's standards, they went WAY too far and that's putting it mildly.
  He was crucified by the media and even when he tried to set things straight via TV interviews they were edited to show him in a bad light.  Watching the Bashir "documentary" is hard because you can feel his pain so many times but he's still being hounded by questions he doesn't want to answer and that frankly are none of anyone's business.  If someone wants to change their appearance by plastic surgery then that's their choice, millions of other people do it and they aren't hounded over it.  Look at Priscilla Presley for heaven's sake, she looks like a mannequin.  When she was on Oprah with LMP I didn't hear Oprah asking her why she felt the need to do that to herself.  Because it's private and personal.  
With Michael though the press decided at some point that he was fair game and not entitled to a private life.  True, no other artist had experienced the phenomenal success he had achieved so it was uncharted territory but I think because he had been famous since he was little there was a sense that the world "owned" him, and the press probably felt that he owed them for all the coverage.  If the world would just wake up to the sensationalist tabloid media (and there are people in the showbiz heirachy in the USA who have been decrying it for years, like The Simpsons writers, producers and creators), then Michael would get the apology he has so deserved for so many years from the media because the PEOPLE would demand it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream.  And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.

October 26, 2010, 09:42:31 AM
"Artists use lies to tell the truth" - V for Vendetta
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
What you have just witnessed could be the end of a particularly terrifying nightmare. It isn’t. It’s the beginning.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

October 26, 2010, 09:42:44 AM
I think in the end we can only speculate, because we never know who is honest with us and who isn't. Dieter Wiesner, for example, stated that Michael's people put those stories out without his approval.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions