SarahliTopic starter

Hunger/Malnutrition/Poverty
November 05, 2010, 01:36:18 PM
There are a lot of things happening on planet earth hurting me (wars and their consequences, diseases etc;) and one of these things and it hurts me to the core it's hunger. This is one of the major problems that we have and even if the media talk less about it because they choose their subjects of interest according to their ratings, things have not changed. The situtation is very bad. I remember when I was a young child at school we had to give rice for Ethiopia, we organized a collect with our teacher. I felt so happy to know that my little box of rice would cross the lands and find itself in the plate of a young ethiopian child. I thought that I had made a great action, that I had participated in saving the world at that time. Unfortunately the situation is still the same. All over the world some people and children have not enough to eat... and some die because of that. I just cannot stand it. We all have seen these pictures of young over- emaciated bodies... I'm not gonna put some because it breaks the heart. Even in the developped countries some people just don't eat enough or can't afford it at all and are obliged to beg for it....

There are a lot of associations and organizations helping in that matter you can easily found them on the net. The thing is that I have come to the point where I tell myself when will all this gonna end? How long are people going to suffer before things change for real? I really feel helpless there are billions of people in that situation. I can only pray God to help us make our actions, as small as they can be, prevail over the evil things happening right now in this world and make it really be a better place (soon).

Here is some information I found by typing - hunger - in my browser: (the worse in all that is that the official world organizations dealing with that and supposed to find solutions to the problems do not really seem to care JMO):

Global Hunger

The world is facing a hunger crisis unlike anything it has seen in more than 50 years.
925 million people are hungry.
Every day, almost 16,000 children die from hunger-related causes. That's one child every five seconds.
There were 1.4 billion people in extreme poverty in 2005. The World Bank estimates that the spike in global food prices in 2008, followed by the global economic recession in 2009 and 2010 has pushed between 100-150 million people into poverty.

Hunger and Poverty Facts

Hunger and Poverty

* Despite years of progress against hunger, in 2010, it is estimated that 925 million people suffer from hunger. This is due to a sudden spike in global food prices and the onset of a world-wide economic crisis. United Nations Food and Agricultural Organisation
    * In 2005, the latest year for which data is available, 1.4 billion people in developing countries lived in extreme poverty, or on less than $1.25 a day, down from 1.9 billion in 1981.

Regional disparities

* Poverty has declined dramatically in East Asia and in India since 1981 relative to population growth. Sub-Saharan Africa has seen little change in the proportion of people who live in extreme poverty between 1981 and 2005, with 51% of the population living on less than $1.25 per day, down from 53% in 1981.  The absolute number of people in extreme poverty has almost doubled during the same period, from 200 million in 1981 to almost 400 million in 2005. World Development Indicators 2009, World Bank Group, p. 69;   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.
    * About 75% of the world’s poor people live in rural areas and depend on agriculture for their livelihood.

Malnutrition

* In 2008, nearly 9 million children died before they reached their fifth birthday. One third of these deaths are due directly or indirectly to hunger and malnutrition. Malnutrition is not having enough nourishing food, with adequate amounts of protein, vitamins, minerals and calories to support physical and mental growth and development. Children who survive early childhood malnutrition suffer irreversible harm—including poor physical growth, compromised immune function, and impaired cognitive ability.
    * Around the world, 178 million children under 5 are stunted, low height for age. Of all stunted children, 90 percent live in just 36 countries, most of them in sub-Saharan Africa and South and Central Asia.
    * In countries with high levels of childhood malnutrition, the economic loss can be as high as 2-3 percent of GDP.

U.S. Development Assistance

* U.S. development assistance accounts for about 0.2% of gross national income.
    * Since 2000, U.S. poverty-focused development assistance has tripled, and currently totals a little over $28 billion (Bread for the World estimate), but this amount still represents less than 1% of the federal budget.
    * From 1985 to 2005, U.S. development assistance to support agriculture and rural development declined from 12 percent of all official development assistance to just 3.1 percent.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are here for you Michael and will always love you whatever happens.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

Re: Hunger/Malnutrition/Poverty
November 05, 2010, 01:46:30 PM
What valuable information sarahli!  Thank you so much for taking the time to share this important message.  Global hunger effects humanity on a level which only God truly understands.  Through His eyes, there is much work to be done with the resources He has provided.  Together we can make a difference.
Thank you again Sarahli!

Blessings Always!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

SarahliTopic starter

November 05, 2010, 01:51:26 PM
Quote from: "wishingstar"
What valuable information sarahli!  Thank you so much for taking the time to share this important message.  Global hunger effects humanity on a level which only God truly understands.  Through His eyes, there is much work to be done with the resources He has provided.  Together we can make a difference.
Thank you again Sarahli!

Blessings Always!

Thank you wishingstar. You are very right only God knows... and only Him can help us because the task is huge. Blessings to you  :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are here for you Michael and will always love you whatever happens.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

November 05, 2010, 01:54:26 PM
Quote from: "Sarahli"
Quote from: "wishingstar"
Thank you again Sarahli!

Blessings Always!

Thank you wishingstar. You are very right only God knows... and only Him can help us because the task is huge. Blessings to you  :)

Likewise, my friend!
Have a beautiful day!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions