WHO IS JOHN MCCLAIN?
November 13, 2010, 12:24:09 PM
I'd like to know more about John McClain, Interscope Records and JM's true relationship with the music industry and ultimately with Michael Jackson.  I make no judgements at this time, I'd just like to know one thing:  Who IS John McClain?

I know there's been a sprinkling of info about him throughout many threads and if this is a complete repeat, please delete but all I find about him is simply that he is with MJ's estate and is a music executive who is or once was with Interscope Records.   Ultimately, I am not finding all the answers I seek and would like to do a little more digging.  

I must say, I am intrigued by the current petition against him that was just posted as well as what Teddy Riley has to say about him and I want to know more.  And if Tupac was once with Interscope, and  Death Row Records and Suge Knight were  connected to  Interscope, I would like to know what John McClain's real relationship was with all of that and all of the artists he represented.

Please post anything and everything you know about John McClain here if you're so inclined.  If not, please ignore me and not bash.   I'd like to at least have a place where I post what I find about him in order to keep a public and running log.  You may disagree but I am feeling that this is important.  If he's truly a friend, I'd like to know more about him.  If he's the enemy, I'd like to know more about him.
Last Edit: November 13, 2010, 12:30:47 PM by SoldierofLOVE
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: WHO IS JOHN MCCLAIN?
November 13, 2010, 12:25:23 PM
I'll start with this:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Beginnings
Interscope was formed in 1990 by Jimmy Iovine and Ted Field with financial support from Atlantic Records (which owned a 53% stock in the label). Upon its launch, it was initially distributed by Atlantic Records' subsidiary East West Records America. A&R Executive John McClain and producer Beau Hill were also part of the original founding team.

The label's first release was Latin-rapper Gerardo, who scored a top 5, gold hit with "Rico Suave" in the spring of 1991. More early success came later in the year when the label released the debut album from Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch, which went platinum in early 1992. During this time, Interscope also signed rapper Tupac Shakur, Primus, No Doubt and Nine Inch Nails.

[edit] Death Row Records

Death Row RecordsThough Interscope seemed to be on a roll with its first few releases, the label was faced with criticism for manufacturing what was considered cookie-cutter hip-hop. That changed when, in 1992, Iovine financially assisted Suge Knight and Dr. Dre in the formation of Death Row Records, and arranged for Interscope to distribute its records. The joint venture hit pay-dirt when Death Row and Interscope released The Chronic, the solo debut album from Dr. Dre. Released in December, the album became a seminal hit into the new year; eventually going triple platinum, and furthermore introduced the then up-and-coming Snoop Dogg—whose own debut album Doggystyle was released in late 1993 and became a monstrous success as well, selling over 800,000 in its first week of release.

Following the success of Dr. Dre and Snoop Dogg, Death Row and Interscope became powerful labels in the industry, both collectively and respectively. With this acclaim, however, came criticism from various sources over the gangsta rap image that was being perpetuated. Feeling the heat from activist groups, Time Warner (Interscope's parent company) refused to distribute Death Row's next slated release, Dogg Food by Tha Dogg Pound, which had been originally scheduled for release in June 1995. The album was subsequently pushed back, while Death Row and Interscope made an outside deal with Priority Records to distribute that album upon its release.

The controversy swirling around Death Row and Interscope made Time Warner's shareholders nervous, so much so that in late 1995, the company sold all of its stake in Interscope Records to MCA Music Entertainment (later renamed Universal Music Group). Not wanting to take on the scrutiny that plagued Time Warner, MCA too initially refused to distribute many of Interscope's Death Row releases; most notably All Eyez on Me, the much anticipated forthcoming Death Row debut album by Tupac Shakur, which was later certified Diamond in the U.S. This forced Death Row and Interscope to strike a deal with Island Records to distribute that particular album outside of its home base.

Death Row began to collapse in 1996 following the death of Shakur, the incarceration of Knight and departure of Dr. Dre, who had left a year earlier. In August 1997, Interscope (under pressure from Universal Music Group) made the decision to sell off all of its share in the label. Interscope, however, has continued to release posthumous albums by Shakur in conjunction with Amaru Entertainment.

[edit] Today
Though Interscope initially made a name for itself as a label dealing heavily in hip-hop and urban music, by the mid 2000s, its range began to expand and, subsequently, the company would eventually experience success with artists in all genres, for example, the Industrial rock artist Nine Inch Nails (Nothing Records), shock rocker Marilyn Manson, Limp Bizkit, Helmet, No Doubt and most recently, the Latin artist Kings Of Flow[1] in a unique partnership with Los Angeles based indie Latin label.[2]

Following UMG's acquisition of PolyGram in 1998, Geffen Records and A&M Records were merged into Interscope—making it the extremely powerful and leading unit at UMG that it is today. In 2004, Dreamworks Records was merged into the Interscope-Geffen-A&M group bringing over such artists as Blink-182, All Time Low, Papa Roach, Rise Against, Nelly Furtado, Lifehouse, AFI, The All-American Rejects, Jimmy Eat World and Rufus Wainwright among others (the artists were divided between Interscope and Geffen, with most going to the latter). In 2005, Interscope launched a new imprint called Cherrytree Records, for emerging artists; beginning with group The Lovemakers and now includes Far East Movement, Feist, Flipsyde, Tokio Hotel, JoJo, Lady Gaga and Robyn. In May 2007, Interscope announced a joint-venture partnership with Justin Timberlake to create a new recording label called Tennman Records, with the first artist being Esmee Denters. Early 2010 saw Interscope signing South African hip-hop group Die Antwoord[3], marking the first time a South African act has caught their attention, through an effective viral marketing campaign and a Facebook following of close to 50,000 fans and millions of hits on YouTube[4].

[edit] Criticism
Rapper Ice Cube has criticized Interscope for its use of Tupac Shakur's music in his song "Child Support". Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor has also criticized Universal Music Group for overcharging his album Year Zero in Australia. When he asked why it was so much, they replied "Your type of fans will pay anything to get your music".[5] Nine Inch Nails is now a part of their own record label The Null Corporation and no longer associated with Interscope.

[edit] Salaried artists
At the SXSW conference in 2006, Interscope lawyer Darryl Franklin said during a panel discussion, that the contract with the group The Pussycat Dolls is unique in that its members are actually salaried employees of the record label and, by design, completely interchangeable. This means that in addition to CD sales, the label also controls merchandise, web sites and all other commercial aspects of the group and their income, excluding songwriting.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 13, 2010, 12:36:10 PM
Teddy Riley blames John McClain for madness around “Breaking News”Producer Teddy Riley called in to an Atlanta radio station last night and told as much as he could about the making of “Breaking News” and other new Michael Jackson tracks. Among other things, Riley says MJ estate co-executor John McClain “challenged” him on the recordings for the new album.

“Now all of a sudden it’s not Michael’s voice because his songs didn’t make it.” Riley says McClain wanted him on the project just so his own name–McClain’s–would be associated with Riley’s. Riley also revealed he hasn’t been paid for his work, still has no contract, and took just five hours to remix “Breaking News.”

Riley also says: “There’s been a conspiracy from A to Z.”
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 13, 2010, 12:59:07 PM
Rapper Ice Cube has criticized Interscope for its use of Tupac Shakur's music; in his song "Child Support", he raps, "Keep your dumb ass out of that casket/'Cause Interscope will spend your money/They don't give a fuck about a dead rapper/Nigga, they'll chop it up." Nine Inch Nails frontman Trent Reznor has also criticized Universal Music Group for overcharging his album Year Zero in Australia. When he asked why it was so much, they replied "Your type of fans will pay anything to get your music".[1] Nine Inch Nails is now a part of their own record label The Null Corporation and no longer associated with Interscope.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 13, 2010, 03:36:11 PM
WTH?????

On Friday 12th November 2010, @MJFan4Truth said:

To All Those Fans Believing Cory Rooney who is Taryll Jackson's manager. Did you know that Cory Rooney worked with Michael during INVINCIBLE called "She Was Loving Me" that Michael never approved because he found out that Cory was Tommy Mottola's spy during INVINCIBLE? Did you know that Cory was managed by Tommy Mottola during INVINCIBLE? Why do you think Cory got alot of production work with all of Sony's biggest artists during that time? Why would Taryll Jackson be managed by the same Cory when Michael hated him so much. Cory was not Michael's friend. He sold Michael's soul to Tommy Mottola for a track that never made INVINCIBLE

Where Were 3T and The Jacksons?
When John McClain made sure Michael Jackson was drugged out of his mind before signing contracts with him.

When John McClain would hold Michael's hand to get him to complete his signature.

When John McClain yelled at Michael Jackson and brought him to tears in 2001 as he told Michael to put puddy in his nose and darken his skin for the cover shoot of the INVINCIBLE album

Why didn't they protect Michael Jackson's Legacy then?
Why do they speak for John McClain NOW?
Why do they protect him NOW?What Are Their Motivations?

Michael Jackson Fans should be outraged that "The King" is no longer. The people that were suppose to protect him are now living off his demise.

Mr. John McClain YOU should step down IMMEDIATELY from the Estate of Mr. Michael Joseph Jackson. You did his life a complete disservice and you do not deserve to make 10% from his earnings. His children deserve it more than you do. Michael Jackson hated you and you know it. He feared you because you liked to bully him.

LEAVE NOW MR. McCLAIN. MORE TRUTHS TO COME.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

anewfan

November 13, 2010, 04:11:54 PM
This doesn't really help you know who John Mcclain is, but Tommy Mottola is now the head of Universal Music Group. It's like the same names keep popping up. I hope we figure out this massive puzzle (all pieces) in the end! I will have to try to do some digging and see what I can come up with John McClain.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Your true character is how you act when no one is looking.

November 13, 2010, 04:20:30 PM
Quote from: "anewfan"
This doesn't really help you know who John Mcclain is, but Tommy Mottola is now the head of Universal Music Group. It's like the same names keep popping up. I hope we figure out this massive puzzle (all pieces) in the end! I will have to try to do some digging and see what I can come up with John McClain.

Thanks for the help with this.  I'm already intrigued that Mottola is head of UMG.
My, they are thick as thieves aren't they? ;)    Good catch.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 13, 2010, 05:10:02 PM
John McClain was MJ's friend. Loved him like a brother, still does. The reason why little or no information is on the net about them is due to the fact that John and MJ kept their relationship private. Two friends who respected each other, just like everyone else and their friends. I'm sure MJ had many friends who he trusted whose names do not ring a bell.
Its so sad to see the hate and negative posts on so many fan sites. I really do hope MJ is not reading it. It must make him so sad to see his fans emploding due to mis information and rumors.  

I for one trust MJ. He orchestrated this hoax for a reason or reasons. I guest we'll just have to wait to see if it all makes sense one day.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

November 13, 2010, 05:31:26 PM
Quote from: "SoldierofLOVE"
Quote from: "anewfan"

Thanks for the help with this.  I'm already intrigued that Mottola is head of UMG.
My, they are thick as thieves aren't they? ;)    Good catch.

Tommy Mottola is not the head of UMG, he is co-owner of Casablanca Records in a joint venture with UMG. The key-people of UMG are:

Doug Morris: Chairman and co-CEO
Lucian Grainge: co-CEO
Antonio "L.A." Reid: Chairman and CEO, Island Def Jam Music Group
Jimmy Iovine: Chairman and CEO, Interscope-Geffen-A&M

As far as I know John McClain is indeed a very good friend of Mike and if he didn't trust him, he wouldn't have been executor of the estate and trust in my opinion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

anewfan

November 13, 2010, 07:11:20 PM
I stand corrected..Tommy Mottola is affiliated with UMG.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Your true character is how you act when no one is looking.

liegi

November 14, 2010, 04:33:32 AM
Does anyone have a photo of him? I've seen Branca, but not John McClain. He seems to have been a really good friend of Michael's.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 14, 2010, 04:49:27 AM
Photos of him seem quite scarce no matter what you put as the search topic, I still haven't found one.  Initials JM, MJ backwards, another coincidence.  This snippet of an article was the first time I'd read his name being connected with Janet's.

McClaim helped launched Janet Jackson’s career at A&M records before coming to Interscope, launched in 1990 by Jimmy Iovine and Ted Field with a 53% equity stake / support from Atlantic Records.

A 1993 interview with McClain gives insight as to how he perceives leadership skills. When asked about Jimmy Iovine, McClain said to the LA Times:

“Most record heads want a 21-gun salute while they tell you what they’re SAT scores are, but Jimmy’s like Columbo. He downplays his business skills, so it’s very easy to underestimate him. But that’s the worst thing you could do. You don’t find out how smart he is until its too late.”

McClain was one of Interscope Records’ founding team members. Success came quickly in 1991 with “Rico Suave” by Gerardo, then Marky Mark and the Funky Bunch the next year.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream.  And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.

liegi

November 14, 2010, 05:15:00 AM
Mysterious, then.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Do

November 14, 2010, 08:24:37 AM
Bonnie Cox wrote a lot about McClain in her blogs, I'll post the link for you:

You can search the blog on John McClain, it comes up with the articles including his name.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

"Three passions, simple but overwhelmingly strong, have governed my life: the longing for love, the search for knowledge, and unbearable pity for the suffering of mankind."
Bertrand Russel

November 14, 2010, 08:31:20 AM
Thanks Do!! ;) Will be reading all of that later, there's a lot on there!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
In a world filled with despair, we must still dare to dream.  And in a world filled with distrust, we must still dare to believe.

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal