becTopic starter

Is HMH not quite as it seems?
November 17, 2010, 12:08:03 AM
I blogged this here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

but I really am interested in getting some feedback on this theory so I am posting it as well.

Hold My Hand: Duet with Akon and MJ is a: weak track (in my opinion), the first single released on first MJ "posthumous" album, first of massive $250 million music contract with Sony, first new music in 9 years from a troubled global icon who's career was severely impacted by false allegations and who's estate is seeking to rebuild a legacy for.

This is a big deal, right?

So I already said I think the track is weak. That's an opinion, of course, which means little, but to back it up, the music is simple, there's no layering of instruments and sounds, there's little depth to the lyrics. I mean it's not a bad song but it's not... wow at all. It's very vanilla pudding if you know what I mean. Fine song, pretty song, good message but forgettable and not likely to get non-MJ fans excited to hear more.

Now here's where I'm going to get a little controversial. I think there's something more going on with this song and this album then just an innocuous seeming album release.

Sony and the Estate ought to both have the same goal (in all realistic proportions), to present MJ in his best light and attempt to convince the public to move past the false allegations and onto feeling comfortable with accepting MJ as an artist again... more so then enjoying his music, though that's important too... people aren't going to be ok with MJ music again until they're ok with MJ again. Follow me?

Are they comfortable with MJ again? I don't know. Are child molestation allegations the first thing people still think of when they think of MJ? For a lot of people, yes, that's still true. It sucks and it's not fair and it proves that people are quick to judge and slow to change their minds, but it's the world we still live in.

That being said, how wise is it for Sony (speaking as if MJ was actually dead), under these real world conditions, to release Hold My Hand as the first single to promote the album when the last hand most people remember seeing MJ holding was Gavin's on the nightmarish Bashir tapes???

Ok and to top it all off, considering the homosexuality rumors and gay bashing that goes with it, Sony thinks that no one is likely to snicker at the thought of Akon and MJ holding each other til sunlight? I know that's not what the lyrics mean but you know it could be taken that way. and likely will by someone, somewhere, with a blog and an audience, sooner or later.

And then we have what appears to be Akon and MJ holding hands in silhouette on the single cover. So then they're singing about holding each others hand then right? No, but again, it could so easy be twisted that way, and considering the past track record of things in this department... well, I already said it once. It's only a matter of time.

Does this seem like wise marketing for a company who just invested the most money ever into a music contract with a dead icon who died recently pretty much in shame and exile and a swirl of rumors and previous allegations?

No. This seems very foolish. Sony looks either completely clueless as to the current market of their dead icon's brand name, or they are brazenly shoving it in people's faces in lieu of giving them knock-your-socks-off music.

Because there are better, more mainstream tracks that would announce this new album in a big way. And people would be so busy vibing to it they'd forget all about anything ugly associated with MJ.

So, what are the possible reasons for HMH to be the first single from the new album?

This is getting long so I'll paraphrase the reasons that I came up with and then please add your own. I'm curious what you guys think of this.

-The handwritten note left by Michael stating he wanted HMH released first. (I don't buy this explanation. I neither believe that any note discussing track release wishes was left after the "death" nor that Sony would actually honor it anyway considering what I already wrote in this post.)

-The song was chosen for the first single because Akon could help promote it. But he isn't, so that doesn't seem plausible.

-Sony was just hoping that adding Akon's name to the song would give it  automatic added interest... and no one noticed the subtle homoerotic aspects to the lyrics or the reminder to the Bashir tapes when the decision was made.

-The song is supposed to shove this stuff in our faces (Bashir/Gavin/allegations, homosexual rumors) for some reason that I don't understand yet. But as this is risky, I don't see Sony doing this. Of the options I can think of, it only makes sense that an ALIVE MJ himself would be willing to do this. It would only mean enough to HIM personally, to want to confront it so head on style. Anyone seeking to profit off MJs name should be hoping everyone forgets about these things. But to MJ his name is more important then money, his name is what he leaves to his children. The only way to fix it once and for all is to attack it and win.

Of course HMH is only the first track, but I'm interested in how it goes down with this single and what the other songs on the album will be. I'm starting to do the: ...what if... the album itself is a hoax? I mean of course it's a real album, with real songs, and you can really go buy it.... but a hoax in that it's not designed to be simply for listening to songs, nor resurrecting a music career for Sony to make money off of. Maybe it's a message carrier, a means to help advance a larger agenda, a package of bottomless newspaper story inspirations, ingredients for Twitter wars, and to spark scripted and improvisational debates far and wide. Effectively and thereby kicking this hoax into the next phase... maybe?
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

nynyro

Re: Is HMH not quite as it seems?
November 17, 2010, 12:13:55 AM
The album being a hoax...that was my first instinct.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Serenitys_Dream

November 17, 2010, 12:18:32 AM
I am going to disagree with you on this. I love the song and that picture is of a man on the left holding the hand of a woman on the right.
The bodies are shaped differently, the body on the left has muscles...masculine looking and the arm on the right is more slender, the hand appears smaller and more feminine, look at the wrist. All only IMO of course.

[attachment=0:1oowdxs8]HMH.jpg[/attachment:1oowdxs8]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

nynyro

November 17, 2010, 12:33:16 AM
Quote from: "Serenitys_Dream"
I am going to disagree with you on this. I love the song and that picture is of a man on the left holding the hand of a woman on the right.
The bodies are shaped differently, the body on the right has muscles...masculine looking and the arm on the right is more slender, the hand appears smaller and more feminine, look at the wrist. All only IMO of course.

[attachment=0:ijmsdxht]HMH.jpg[/attachment:ijmsdxht]

I agree with you that the  the hands are not two men.  I also don't think their was homosexual innuendo in the song.  So i disagree with that part of the OP's post.  However, the strange happenings surrounding the release of this album scream hoax.  The album and the songs on it are a message.

I feel that when people get this album, if they get this album, they will be surprised by what they get.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 17, 2010, 12:36:06 AM
We already know they purposely released a fake sounding track for Breaking News and then replaced it fast enough with a better one. We know that money hungry Sony would never release tracks for free on any website. And they are pulling everyone's videos so that only theirs is up, so they can have only the version they want out at that point in time.

This has to be Michael driven and I bet he has the best Stereo Sound System that he let Harvey listen to the tracks on. He had to have told Harvey what his gameplan is and H is going along with it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

becTopic starter

November 17, 2010, 12:37:31 AM
Ok SD, that's very valid. But what about the other points? Hand holding, male-male duet about hand holding and the innuendo it triggers, the track itself compared to other snippets we've heard recently and in the past, Sony's decision to put out this one first... you get the idea.

Also nyonyo, I am NOT insinuating that the lyrics are meant to be homosexual.... I'm pointing out that  it's so easy to be twisted that way, perhaps way too easy considering what's at stake for Sony, why select this track?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

mj33

November 17, 2010, 12:51:12 AM
I was thinking that maybe Hold My Hand was released first because it was leaked way back in 2007 so people have already heard it or can hear it for free now since its so easy to download already. Maybe Sony thought that single sales for the song would already be low so they decided it would make a good freebie.

Also the lyrics "This life don't last for ever.." is a tear jerker for a supposedly dead mega star and is sure to get attention and hopefully open peoples minds to MJs innocence.

Michaels full world vindication I hope is part of the BAM
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Army of L.O.V.E moonwalk and shamone out

Serenitys_Dream

November 17, 2010, 01:14:59 AM
Quote from: "bec"
Ok SD, that's very valid. But what about the other points? Hand holding, male-male duet about hand holding and the innuendo it triggers, the track itself compared to other snippets we've heard recently and in the past, Sony's decision to put out this one first... you get the idea.

Also nyonyo, I am NOT insinuating that the lyrics are meant to be homosexual.... I'm pointing out that  it's so easy to be twisted that way, perhaps way too easy considering what's at stake for Sony, why select this track?

Men holding hands is actually only taboo in Western culture. Straight men hold hands in many countries and it is culturally acceptable.

Only in Asia: Straight Guys Holding Hands
Pakistan men are an interesting bunch…who like to hold each others’ hands. Hand holding between Pakistani men signifies friendship and solidarity. Despite what you may think, being gay is against the law so we highly doubt this sign of affection will ever lead to anything more.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Men Holding Hands
Mariana van Zeller takes a look at the common practice of men holding hands in the Arab world
Video:You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Hand Symbolism
Hands represent relationships and connections with the world. Hands serve as a form of communication and can represent authority, hate, protection, justice, etc depending on the gesture. The left hand symbolizes your graciousness and the feminine, receptive qualities, while the right hand symbolizes the masculine and active attributes. Holding hands with someone represents love and affection. Hands are clasped or closed, signify unity, completeness, acceptance or agreement.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

As for Sony putting that song out first, maybe there really was a note from directing that to be done.In the following video Michael says he owns half of Sony, the he says he owns half of Sony`s publishing. So maybe he owns more than just the half the catalogue or not but either way his wealth is tied to the success of Sony. He may have insiders within Sony helping him or he could simply be directly controlling this all.

Starts at about 1:24 in this video. I did not alter the time line of when he says things, I just cut out some of the cheering from the crowd so we can hear what Michael has to say without interruption.

[youtube:1lev075v]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17CEKKyaY6s[/youtube:1lev075v]
Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:18:29 AM by Serenitys_Dream
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

November 17, 2010, 01:18:15 AM
In all honesty, though I love the song, when I first looked at the pic yesterday I was thinking how the female aspect of the one on the right was minimal, slightly thinner wrist and slightly wider hips, otherwise they're the same height, upper arms the same. The song itself does not even contain "girl" or anything just "Baby". Do homo men refer to each other as baby? Maybe someone here knows. I wonder if sometimes when people have gotten hurt over and over again by someone of the opposite sex, they might be more willing to receive the comfort of same-sex. Maybe I'm totally wrong. I believe 100% that up to his relationship with Lisa and Debbie failed, he totally loved women. But we don't see much of his real feelings after that. The song One More Chance is clearly about his love for a girl saying "her" over and over. One More Chance video was made in 2003, but Hold My Hand is apparantely 2007, which is much later. :?  :?

Then I happened to see this very negative news article about Akon, his treatment of women, and sexually explicit songs, so he's definately not gay.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
So why would Michael even want to sing with this guy or be friends with him?

[youtube:154teuu5]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7BnJeUnv3CU&feature=player_embedded[/youtube:154teuu5]
Thursday, April 19, 2007
Akon goes a'rapin!

Akon totally grinded the crap out of the girl (who is rumoured to be 14) in the photo above. And by "grinded the crap out of" i mean practically R'd her with his clothes on. Take a look:

Apparently this went down in Trinidad, where Akon told the audience that he was having a dance-off contest and that they could win a trip to Africa. By "trip to Africa", Akon obviously meant he'd put his African wang all up in them, because that's all this "winner" got. There was no contest, there was no trip to Africa, Akon just wanted to get his grind on. Dang, Akon - I hope you at least bought that poor girl a pizza when you were finished tossing her around like a raped rag doll.

Source via Dlisted

Posted by Amber at 7:55 AM  

Labels: Akon, dance-offs, girl #1, going a'rapin, lies

8 comments:
 Anne said...
I HATE IT!!!

April 19, 2007 8:29:00 AM EST  
 Anonymous said...
WHOA!!!!!! He just left her on stage laying there! Ouch

April 19, 2007 8:39:00 AM EST  
 Anonymous said...
this is really the lowest, and 2 think that people will still support him. his actions towards her was noet even gentlt but brutal, almost as if she was a rag doll. he should be ashamed and DONT EVER COME BACK 2 TRINIDAD.

April 19, 2007 10:34:00 AM EST  
 Anonymous said...
TRINIDAD SAYS .......

SHAME ON U!!! 2 D LOWEST U HAVE BROUGHT OUR WOMEN. NO WONDER YOU R SO LONELY AND NOBODY WANT U 2 BE TOGETHER. IS THAT HOW YOUR FATHER TREATED UR MOTHER, IS THAT D RESPECT HE THOUGHT U, 2 RAG AROUND WOMEN????

April 19, 2007 10:42:00 AM EST  
 Evorgleb said...
Akon is such a clown. I just did a feature over on Highbrid Nation with video on how the guy basically molests women on stage at his concerts while his cheesy music plays in the background. I can't stand him. I don't even understand his popularity right now.

April 19, 2007 11:36:00 AM EST  
 candini said...
the video is gone now and i can't see it. boo.

April 19, 2007 4:42:00 PM EST  
 Anonymous said...
Ew, I hate Akon. All he does is sing about sex, he's not creative at all. And was he even BORN in Africa? Jeeeeeeeeeeez.
And even though I hate Akon, (he's soooooooo ugly too) it really was that girl's fault. Sure, he shouldn't have been doing that to those girls, but those girls should have known from his music that he's a total perv. Also, that girl's dad shouldn't be mad at Akon, he should be pissed at his daughter for wearing THAT OUTFIT and going into a club. Obviously something bad was going to happen to her if she was wearing that and going to an Akon concert in a club. Seriously.

April 8, 2008 2:18:00 PM EST  
 Anonymous said...
akon actully gets some but yall fuckin dumb assess who are jelious and that girl should get fucked by him shes hot

And here's the song lyrics again:
Hold My Hand lyrics

This life don't last forever (hold my hand)
So tell me what we're waiting for (hold my hand)
We're Better off being together (hold my hand)
Than being miserable alone (hold my hand)

Cause I've been there before
And you've been there before
But together we can be alright.
Cause when it gets dark and when it gets cold
We hold each other till we see the sunlight

(So if you just)

Hold my hand
Baby I promise that I'll do
All I can
Things will get better if you just hold my hand
Nothing can come between us if you just hold,
hold my, hold, hold my, hooold, hold my hand.

(Hold my hand)

The nights are getting darker (hold my hand)
And there's no peace inside (hold my hand)
So why make our lives harder (hold my hand)
By fighting love, tonight. (sooooo)

Cause I've been there before
And you've been there before
But together we can be alright (alright)
Cause when it gets dark and when it gets cold
We hold each other till we see the sunlight

So if you just hold my hand
Baby I promise that I'll do (If you just, If you just)
All I can
Things will get better if you just hold my hand (yeahh)

Hold my hand

I can tell you're tired of being lonely (yeahhh)
Take my hand don't let go baby hold me (hold mee)
Come to me and let me be your one and only (hold my haand)
So I can make it alright til' the morning (hold my hand)

I can tell you're tired of being lonely (hold my hand)
Take my hand don't let go baby hold me (hold mee)
Come to me and let me be your one and only (one and only)
So I can make it alright til' the morning (hold my hand)

Hold my hand

Hold my hand (yeahhh)
Baby I promise (hold my hand) that I'll do
All I can (hold my hand)
Things will get better (oohhhhoooo) if you just hold my hand (ooooo)

(Hold my hand)

Hold my hand (yeahh)
Baby I promise (yeahh x4)that I'll do
All I can (hold my haand)
Things will get better if you just (oohhoo) hold my hand

Hold my hand
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snoopy71

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Life isn't a rehearsal the camera's always rolling
November 17, 2010, 01:41:35 AM

Also nyonyo, I am NOT insinuating that the lyrics are meant to be homosexual.... I'm pointing out that it's so easy to be twisted that way, perhaps way too easy considering what's at stake for Sony, why select this track?

As someone who has never heard any version of this song and hearing it for the first time ever today, I have to be honest and say my first thought was that the song had homosexual overtones :?  This song release did seem odd to me.

Two things immediately popped into my head after hearing this....

1) the allegations Arnold Kleins assistant made about being Michael's gay lover

2) how Michael was upset over how the singles were released on the Invincible album back in 2001, which I think in part sparked that little controversy with Sony (not sure why that popped into my head, but it did).

The fact that the art cover for the song is ambiguous (It could have included a head shot of a man and woman to clear up any confusion) but the fact they chose not to, also makes me wonder if Sony isn't targeting a gay audience subliminally at the expense of Michael's reputation.

The song and the way it's being presented is leaving it to wide open for interpretation (IMO).  I've never heard the song before now and don't know the history behind it's making, so I have no bias one way or the other, this was just my intial impression.

At first, I didn't understand Will.I.ams comment about this song release being "disrespectful" until now...and now I see there are multiple layers to his statement.

I do believe this album is another version of a hoax or another phase of it. Because so far nothing about this album is what it seems. So I have to agree. :|
Last Edit: November 17, 2010, 01:53:23 AM by Snoopy71
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

November 17, 2010, 01:49:27 AM
Michael, I know is --alive.  But now I'm wondering if there truly is a major war going on between 2 parties, behind the scenes.  I'm starting to feel a little sick to my stomach. I hope things will become clearer. TS please help! :?  :(  :shock:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

becTopic starter

November 17, 2010, 01:54:20 AM
Snoopy I was starting to think I was alone in this. I'm glad you noticed too. It was also an immediate connection I made, and I have never thought of MJ as gay! Not that I would care, I've just never gotten a vibe in that direction to have a preconceived notion from.

But the gay audience is minute, really super tiny. Considering gays make up ~10% of the population, and certainly not all gay people like the same music, so we're talking a small cross section of 10% of the population? I don't think market targeting makes much sense here either, but it's an interesting thought.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

November 17, 2010, 02:10:25 AM
I think our narrow mindedness makes us think of homosexual overtones. Music is not all about sex, at least Michael's music isn't. Michael mostly spoke about healing the world, and to me this song is just about that.

The first thing that comes to my mind is it could represent soldiers at war relying on each other or people helping one another, like maybe a charity extending a helping hand, rehabilitation for those who have lost families and homes, etc.

To me this is a very heal the world goodfeel type of song, and to insinuate it is something else, is really disrespectful to the message. I know there are hate messages posted on youtube, but for every negative there are 10 or 20 more positive comments. Don't concentrate on the small negative percentage, cos if we start doubting the MAN who will trust him?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Snoopy71

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Life isn't a rehearsal the camera's always rolling
November 17, 2010, 02:18:09 AM
Snoopy I was starting to think I was alone in this. I'm glad you noticed too. It was also an immediate connection I made, and I have never thought of MJ as gay! Not that I would care, I've just never gotten a vibe in that direction to have a preconceived notion from.

But the gay audience is minute, really super tiny. Considering gays make up ~10% of the population, and certainly not all gay people like the same music, so we're talking a small cross section of 10% of the population? I don't think market targeting makes much sense here either, but it's an interesting thought.

I personally don't care if Michael is straight, gay, bi-sexual or metro sexual...that's his business, I just dissect what information is presented to me.

I only say "targeting a gay audience" because of recent "trending media events" could fuel their motives.  Issues like same sex marriage, artists who are now "openly" gay like George Michael or Ricky Martin etc...

Akon must have sensed the reception of this song would raise eyebrows eventually because of his need to "prove he is not gay" in the media.

So then you are left with the lingering question...what's this song and its release really all about?  :?:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

becTopic starter

November 17, 2010, 02:24:13 AM
Quote from: "simalves"
I think our narrow mindedness makes us think of homosexual overtones. Music is not all about sex, at least Michael's music isn't. Michael mostly spoke about healing the world, and to me this song is just about that.

And by our you mean mine since you went on to say you don't think of it that way.

No. Please don't call me narrow minded or anyone who agrees with me narrow minded. That's not productive to the situation. I'm trying to have an honest, straightforward, grown up conversation on the subject, assuming we can all be adults without thinly veiled insults thrown around if someone doesn't agree.

Just say you don't agree. That's fine. I'd like to exchange ideas, not throw darts.

Ps. simalves, I have complete faith in the man. I am fairly certain there's a plan here, as I said in the OP. I enjoy trying to decipher it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions