Winter time just behind our doors...
November 26, 2010, 10:42:46 PM
Most of us are now experiencing winter time. Take a look around. There are surely some people who will sleep outside not far from your house.

I suggest everyone of us have a look in our closet, pick up warm clothes we don't use, and just go outside to give it ! I'm sure you've seen some homeless people somewhere in your town.
You know where they stay, you know it's cold outside.  
Just go to them, with clothes, blankets, gloves, hats, warm socks, whatever...  and just offer them to pick up what they need. say HELLO and smile, be talkative, warming the heart is important too ;)

Some people do not dare to go to winter shelter because they feel insecure in it, have fear to be stolen, even sometime stay outside cause they doesn't want to leave their dog which are not allowed in such centers or are affraid to lose the place they have build outside. It's important to go to them and talk to them, because most of the time they're given money without even a look or a smile... Lonelyness is as cold as winter time...

Propose them some clothes and if you feel you have some good contact with them, tell them to not hesitate to accept help from social center when they need. Tell them it's important NOT to stay outside if they have some chance to be sheltered somewhere else, remind them that some people are found dead in streets, freezing even having some protection they thought to be good...and that you don't wanna learn it happened to them.

It's not difficult to organise : if you don't have some clothes, ring your neighbors asking them to have a look and collect things few days later.

Advise : before you straightly go to homeless people you never talked to, just first have a walk near the place they stay and take a look, if there is some alcohol or if they have strange behaviour, choose another time/day to go... Just pick up some friends (not too many people) not to go alone (don't risk your security going to maybe drunk or drug addict people on your own ! thing is about rescuing some people, not rescuing YOU  ;) )

Here in France we have an emergncy number we can call to say to social center that we saw someone outside, and they go to see him and try to convince him to go to a shelter. Make sure you're aware of this number in your country and that you call them in case you witness such situation.

Link for french organisation about this

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

emergency phone number is 115

maybe people from other countries can add link of social center or emergency number  of their own place.

Add this information on your facebook pages so noone dies this year  :|
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Do not push the carebear in the nettles

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Re: Winter time just behind our doors...
November 26, 2010, 11:02:36 PM
thanks for the reminder, It snowed here today and thank god I have a roof over my head!
I will make sure I look through my clothes and give out anything I dont need!
much love to you! when I saw the snow today all I thought about was how much of a drag it was going to be to bus to Uni in Canadian weather! I didnt think about the homeless! I really appreciate your post!
I'm thinking I need to do some more looking at the girl in the mirror! I didnt realize how thoughtless I could be :cry:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

loyalfan

Re: Winter time just behind our doors...
November 27, 2010, 03:17:44 AM
this is so right.start with the people right in front of you...TODAY..................xxxxxxxxxxx
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions