Jackson 5's First Chicago Recording Uncovered
December 23, 2010, 12:08:31 PM
Jackson 5's First Chicago Recording Uncovered

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Version of "Big Boy" recorded two months earlier than original single

Can we get a hee-hee?

It seems fitting that in the midst of a brouhaha over Michael Jackson's final recordings, the pop superstar's very first studio offering -- produced in Chicago -- appears to have been unearthed.

According to the Chicago Reader's Jake Austen, a version of Big Boy -- a regional hit by The Jackson 5 recorded for Steeltown Records in 1967 -- had been recorded two months earlier at One-derful Records, then housed at 1827 S. Michigan.

Chicago's Larry Blasingaine, who as a 15-year-old studio musician played bass on that studio recording instead of a raw Jermaine Jackson, heard the track earlier this month and confirms it was the original version. And he also claims the original is better than the version that the world came to know.

"Michael is clearer; it jells. It's what made them the Jackson Five—people were amazed by hearing them so young and being able to do that," Blasingaine told the Chicago Reader.

Click here (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)  to listen to a clip of the recently-discovered song, and to read more about how it was uncovered.

[youtube:29v6qj7w]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4-mqVVj0PyU[/youtube:29v6qj7w]
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." – Sir Winston Churchill

suspicious mind

Re: Jackson 5's First Chicago Recording Uncovered
December 23, 2010, 10:00:28 PM
wow
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

liegi

December 24, 2010, 03:07:18 AM
Impressive.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

December 24, 2010, 04:28:18 AM
Dang Mike got all kinds of songs being released.  New songs, old songs, and songs that people claim aren't him.  Anyway I never heard this cut by Jackson 5.  I really like it.  It's one of those old school jams.  I love MJ voice when he was a kid.  It was so strong and pure like he had the soul of an adult.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

December 24, 2010, 04:31:02 AM
This is cool! My mom was telling me about the first recording cuz she went to a party hosted by a local DJ named Al Greer and he presented Larry Blasingaine and two other guys with him at his party last night! Mom even got to talk to one of the guys, a saxophonist named Eddie Silvers who originally wrote the song! =D  :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (B. Howard Fans)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (Martin Page Fans)

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal