Oprah interview with J.K. Rowling
December 31, 2010, 04:21:38 PM
Hi everyone and Happy New Year!!

did anyone watch the Oprah interview with the author of the Harry Potter books - J.K. Rowling - today?  I searched but couldn't find a thread opened on this.

I missed the first part but in the last segements they were talking about Michael Jackson.  The first time I heard his name, J.K. Rowling said that Michael had wanted to do a musical version.  Didn't catch whether or not she refused him but we all know it didn't happen.

Then Oprah started talking about her moving to her TV station and she said she was apprehensive about moving on and she didn't want the Oprah show to be like a statement she had read in an nterview about Michael Jackson's Thriller.  I didn't catch who wrote the article but Oprah said the writer of the article said that Thriller was a phenomenon and they thought that Michael's downfall was trying to top Thriller - not realizing that Thriller had been just that - a phenomemon - and that he had become consumed with trying to match or exceed it.  She and J.K. Rowling - who also apparently read the article - both said that this resonated with them and they both recognized that what they had done - the Oprah show for 25 years and the Harry Potter books/movies - were their phenomena and that neither of them wanted to try to top them - they were just accepting the events and moving on.

Just wondered if anyone else had seen this and what you thought of these comments.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Oprah interview with J.K. Rowling
December 31, 2010, 06:28:36 PM
I just happened to see the part of the interview about MJ and Thriller. I know that it has been mentioned many times that Oprah was a part of the hoax. But after listening to that interview today, I don't think so. She was definitely dismissive of Michael's talent as if the Thriller album was the best of his career and nothing after that equaled it or compared to it, or at least that's how it sounded as if it was a fluke. It will be interesting if this is MJ's hoax as I'm sure it will top the Thriller album. I think her new TV channel will not equal the success of her show, so she's looking for reasons that it won't...and MJ and the Thriller album is one that she's latching on to...the same for Rowling. I will have to say that she picked the best to compare herself to. Her statement that Michael could never equal the success of the Thriller album (or insinuating that) is confirmation to me that she isn't aware of the hoax and Michael must realize her dismissive opinion of him--could be why he's using her. Of course, I'm just attempting to "read" her statements.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

January 01, 2011, 01:39:10 AM
I was trying to find something to watch, and that was on while I was searching through the guide & a picture of Michael showed and Oprah said something about "Next, Michael Jackson gives his father a deal" or something like that, I can't really remember. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :?

& I never saw anything about thriller and MJ what do you mean?  :?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

أملي هو فيكم.

January 01, 2011, 01:48:32 AM
"You see what your mind allows you to see."  :|
I'll take your word for it when you say she sounds dismissive, because I didn't see it. But I can't help but think that everyone's already negative opinion of Oprah, makes it harder for them to see anything good. Especially when it regards Michael.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
June 25, 2009 - The Day I Woke Up

January 01, 2011, 02:05:01 AM
Quote from: "MJFAN7"
I was trying to find something to watch, and that was on while I was searching through the guide & a picture of Michael showed and Oprah said something about "Next, Michael Jackson gives his father a deal" or something like that, I can't really remember. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? :?

& I never saw anything about thriller and MJ what do you mean?  :?

Ah! Okay, sorry. I was watching the rest of the interview, and when I thought she was talking about Michael's father, it turns out she said "Jo" which is JK Rowlings Nickname or something. The parts about Michael, for anyone that wants to know, was when J.K. mentioned how Michael wanted to do a Harry Potter musical, and she turned him down because she thought it wouldn't be a success, and then another part about how in the making of Thriller, Michael or someone says that he didn't know how big Thriller was going to be, and then after that he chased after Thriller & always wanted to beat it (no pun intended :P), and he wasn't satisfied with anything else because it didn't beat Thriller. ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

أملي هو فيكم.

January 01, 2011, 09:37:05 AM
Well I didn't see the show, but I'd have to say that I agree with Oprah; in the sence that MJ should have never tried to chase Thriller.

Thriller was a success because he went out on a creative limb.  Creativity is his forte and to me there's alot that he's done that has been better than Thriller.

I think there are other factors that were invoked that is the reason why in his mind maybe, or it other peoples minds he could never "match" or do better than thriller.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions