Spike Lee Doesn’t Love Michael Jackson That Much After All

It’s been reported in the past that director Spike Lee was working on a full-length drama (or, “joint”) entitled Brooklyn Loves MJ. Well now, according to The Playlist, the movie is “not happening.” The movie was set to ““examine the potential community impact of a tribute concert and neighborhood celebration in Michael Jackson‘s memory, as this fictional event might occur in a re-gentrified area of Brooklyn, New York,” and it was rumored to have Samuel L. Jackson, John Turturro, Julianne Moore, and Rosie Perez among its cast.The project made sense since Spike Lee’s love of Michael Jackson is a matter of record.

I’m not the biggest Spike Lee fan in the world, but I respect him as a filmmaker and I think it’s a shame that a movie with that cast and him behind the camera is getting shelved. The article also says that Lee was visibly upset when he answered a question about the movie to the effect that it wasn’t going to happen, which is also a shame. I can’t stand to see Spike Lee upset! It’s not all bad for Spike though, since his next movie Nagaski Deadline is set to begin shooting soon.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." – Sir Winston Churchill

more on the same subject;:

Spike Lee’s Michael Jackson inspired film put on holdPosted by: Kristy Sturdivant

Last year director Spike Lee was hard at work on a film that was to pay tribute to the late King of Pop, Michael Jackson that was to be called BROOKLYN LOVES MJ. The film would:

examine the potential community impact of a tribute concert and neighborhood celebration in Michael Jackson‘s memory, as this fictional event might occur in a regentrified area of Brooklyn, New York.

Sadly, due to reasons unknown, this project has been scrapped. When a fan asked Spike Lee how the film was coming along, Mr. Lee said that it wasn’t and quickly moved on to answer other questions. Apparently this was a special project to the director as he was not only a big Michael Jackson fan, but he also directed the videos for “They Don’t Care About Us” as well as “This Is It”. Mr. Lee has also thrown huge block party events to celebrate Jackson’s birthday’s for the past two years. No word on whether or not this will ever get back up off the ground, but it does sound interesting especially since Samuel L. Jackson, Julianne Moore, Rosie Perez, Anthony Mackie and John Turturro were on board at one time

It Looks Like Spike Lee Has Scrapped His Michael Jackson-Centric, ‘Brooklyn Loves MJ’ Project
In April of last year, it was reported that director Spike Lee was working on a new feature-length drama about gentrification called, “Brooklyn Loves MJ” that was rumored to star Samuel L. Jackson, John Turturro, Julianne Moore, Rosie Perez, Anthony Mackie and Kerry Washington. We confirmed as much (at least the existence of) when we got our hands on the script. Lawyers for Lee made us remove all and every trace of details about the screenplay, but some elements about the project remain here on this Associated Content Yahoo blog (not our site .esq dudes). They write, the film is expected to “examine the potential community impact of a tribute concert and neighborhood celebration in Michael Jackson‘s memory, as this fictional event might occur in a re-gentrified area of Brooklyn, New York.”

Alrighty then, but a recent report out of Chicago says that “Brooklyn Loves MJ” has been unfortunately shelved.

A Playlist reader wrote in last week to say that a friend had heard Lee speak on Jan 18 in Chicago at a Martin Luther King, Jr. event. When the filmmaker took questions from the audience, this friend asked the director how his Michael Jackson-related film project was coming along, and he replied abruptly, “It’s not happening.”  He then called for the next question and reader says he was apparently visibly upset. [Emails and calls to Lee’s CAA reps to confirm or clarify were not returned.]

The director is an avid Michael Jackson fan and this indeed must be upsetting to him. Lee staged a community block party tribute for Jackson on what would have been the entertainer’s 51st birthday on August 29, 2009 in Prospect Park, Brooklyn. Lee did the same again in 2010. He also directed two short films for the Jackson protest song “They Don’t Care About Us,” the track that was notoriously known for its “Jew me, sue me, everybody do me/ Kick me, kike me, don’t you black or white me” racial slurs in 1996. Jackson returned the favor by recording the original song “On The Line” (written by Babyface) for Lee’s 1996 pic, “Get On The Bus,” however the song—which opened the film—was never featured on the soundtrack. Lee also directed the video for “This Is It.”

Up next for Lee seems to be “Nagasaki Deadline,” which is a thriller about a troubled FBI agent and his desperate race to thwart two terrorist attacks on American soil. In case you’ve forgotten Lee has already said that plans for an “Inside Man 2” have been scrapped. [photo credit of Spike Lee, Eternal Polk]

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning." – Sir Winston Churchill

As wonderful as a tribute film may be, it really isn't necessary if the man is not dead, right?!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Michael Supporter
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Exactly, same story as we the other tributes ;-)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

When the filmmaker took questions from the audience, this friend asked the director how his Michael Jackson-related film project was coming along, and he replied abruptly, “It’s not happening.” He then called for the next question and reader says he was apparently visibly upset.

All I know is this....Spike Lee has been one of the most vocally supportive celebrities of Michael since his "death"....his half hour interview with Katie Couric...this MJ Birthday Parties held in Prospect Park in Brooklyn in Aug 2009 and 2010....the fact that he wanted to make this movie in the first place...

For him to have this reaction when asked about the status of the film says only one thing to me....

Spike Lee has finally learned about the Death Hoax and is upset about it, feeling perhaps that he has been duped by MJ...if this is true, this is a reaction that Michael will have to expect from many....even from people that truly love him, like Spike, who were devastated by this "death"....if they haven't been following from the beginning, this will be a huge shock and some will not be happy about it.

In Spike's case, if he had invested a lot of money into this movie, pulling together A-list stars....and then found out that Michael isn't really dead....well, as much as I hope Michael will show himself, I can understand this reaction...the Hoax is VERY shocking....we've all invested ourselves in it for so long, I think our perspective about it has evolved....

But if it's true and Michael does BAM, hopefully he can make his reasons crystal clear to the world so that everyone will understand and forgive him.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places....and those who don\'t believe in magic will never find it" - Roald Dahl

Quote from: "heisinme09"
When the filmmaker took questions from the audience, this friend asked the director how his Michael Jackson-related film project was coming along, and he replied abruptly, “It’s not happening.” He then called for the next question and reader says he was apparently visibly upset.

All I know is this....Spike Lee has been one of the most vocally supportive celebrities of Michael since his "death"....his half hour interview with Katie Couric...this MJ Birthday Parties held in Prospect Park in Brooklyn in Aug 2009 and 2010....the fact that he wanted to make this movie in the first place...

For him to have this reaction when asked about the status of the film says only one thing to me....

Spike Lee has finally learned about the Death Hoax and is upset about it, feeling perhaps that he has been duped by MJ...

I'm not going to say much, but this is totally untrue.   I've been a close friend of Spike's for 30 years.  And all I can say is whatever he thinks, he is not upset with MJ.  Spike could have a reaction like that to a question on just about anything depending on his mood at any given moment  :D   He continues to love Michael with all his heart and that will NEVER change.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bec

Quote from: "SoldierofLOVE"

Spike Lee has finally learned about the Death Hoax and is upset about it, feeling perhaps that he has been duped by MJ...

I'm not going to say much, but this is totally untrue.   I've been a close friend of Spike's for 30 years.  And all I can say is whatever he thinks, he is not upset with MJ.  Spike could have a reaction like that to a question on just about anything depending on his mood at any given moment  :D   He continues to love Michael with all his heart and that will NEVER change.

Wait... what?  

:shock:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

MJonmind

Could the reason not be that someone higher up decided against the movie for whatever reasons, perhaps still to do with the supposedly anti-semitic lyrics, even though MJ on the Diane Sawyer interview clearly said the nasty remark were directed towards him not Jews, and that many of his best friends were Jews. It sounds like Spike has to be tight-lipped about it as well.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "bec"
Quote from: "SoldierofLOVE"

Wait... what?  

:shock:

Bec....my thoughts exactly!

SoldierofLOVE....this is very interesting to me....you have been Spike's close friend for 30 years? WOW! I am glad to hear this because I was afraid that Spike had changed his tune about MJ....this is good news....thanks for sharing!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"And above all, watch with glittering eyes the whole world around you because the greatest secrets are always hidden in the most unlikely places....and those who don\'t believe in magic will never find it" - Roald Dahl

SoldierofLove,

Please tell us more! Thanks.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Michael Supporter
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
~Mahatma Gandhi

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal