TMZ Making money from using Michael's name?
January 19, 2011, 04:08:49 AM
Just saw this and thought it was worth posting up for a read since everyone has different ideas about how involved TMZ are with all of this and who is funding them.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Does Web Traffic Correlate to Revenue?

The success of a website is dependent on traffic to the website. A content based website such as TMZ often gets a lot of traffic (12 million visitors per month, each visitor generating multiple page views) due to incoming links and higher visibility to search engines. It relies mainly on ad publishing for its revenue stream. With advertising rates so low these days, only a very high volume website (more than 1 million page views per month) can make substantial money.

Traffic can be related to ad publishing revenue for content-based websites because higher page views generate more ad revenue.

How Revenue Depends on Traffic

Let's consider the income potential for a content based website such as TMZ. A web page on average can show two banners (one on top and one skybanner on the side). The average CPM (cost per thousand) rates are around $0.50. This translates to a CPC (cost per click) rate of $0.10 per click with a 0.5% CTR (click through rate).

The website can also show one pop under ad per visitor at $3.00 CPM. The revenue that can be generated is below (assuming an average 5 page views per visitor).

(please see article for breakdown of views=$$$ )

For high traffic websites and for niche markets, the owner can negotiate a higher CPM rate. On top of that, these websites can promote one line ads directly from the advertiser for a fixed amount per month. Usually that rate is around $500 per month per text ad for approximately 30 million page impressions per month or 0.0167 CPM.

In the case of TMZ, Harvey Levin and his band of punks know that anything with Michael's name in the headline will generate clicks. The story doesn't even have to be true! Therefore, outrageous claims, salacious headlines, sick and twisted stories--doesn't matter--they all generate clicks for TMZ and put money in Harvey Levin's pocket.
For more insight into TMZ's disreputable practices, click here (TMZ wikipedia page)

Do Not click on TMZThe next time you're tempted to click on TMZ and put money in Harvey Levin's pocket, please remind yourself that this is what you're supporting. Here's the latest TMZ smear of Michael Jackson's legacy

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: TMZ Making money from using Michael's name?
January 19, 2011, 04:24:34 AM
P.S When I wrote (see article for breakdown of $$$) I mean the url of the original article,it is on there,I did try to copy it over but it just looked a mess so,it's better to see it via the link. xo
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

January 19, 2011, 05:06:55 AM

Of course TMZ is making money, everyone is except for us looney bins. That might even be the deal. MJ has his media outlet that posts exactly what he wants to make this hoax a succes, TMZ gets the scoops, the fame and the fortune. It's business. But what they gain nothing from are the hoax related articles. Non-believers don't even notice, believers are with few. That plus the early report on the 'death', Harvey's Grassy Knoll theory, TS, and always being first with everything, convinced me they are one of the good guys.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Sarahli

January 19, 2011, 05:18:54 AM
Of course at first sight we can think that TMZ is profiting off of Michael's "death" but we know that he is alive, we know that TMZ is used for the hoax and hence we have Michael's approval let's say. So for me this is TMZ that is being used even if they make money out of it, I don't think it's the point we should focus on but rather see the point that is being proven about tabloids and the press in general. How a false information can be spread around the globe without being checked at all, just because it is sensasional and sells. Even the so called "serious press" is being exposed. So in the end who is making money? All of them I would say.

This article finally also proves the central position of TMZ and emphasizes its big role in this hoax, because they could have made a campaign complaining about another tabloid, but no the focus is on TMZ... it finally tells a lot. Is there a better way than to make a tabloid play the tabloid?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are here for you Michael and will always love you whatever happens.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

MissG

January 19, 2011, 12:53:01 PM
I think that TMZ also wants to prove a point when comes to media and journalism and how "news" circulate.

He (Harvey) says "we knew he was dead" 06:10-06:13

[youtube:11v34xc4]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EExe2QvfRac[/youtube:11v34xc4]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

January 19, 2011, 01:01:43 PM
Your not wrong there.....*see my last post in Jermaine stuck in Africa thread*

TMZ-Leading media source for all other media outlets globally
even though they chat absolute shit 98% of the time....everyone else is just copy and pasting what they write and changing the wording slightly.

TMZ 'knew' he was dead before UCLA even called it...
Absolutley amazing psychic journalistic abilities live in action.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MissG

January 19, 2011, 01:18:41 PM
Quote from: "Sinderella"

TMZ 'knew' he was dead before UCLA even called it...
Absolutley amazing psychic journalistic abilities live in action.

Exactly. How come?
Smeeled Ben from the 1st second.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

January 19, 2011, 01:29:10 PM
Clearly it's because his other alias is the grim reaper......
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

January 19, 2011, 01:30:02 PM
Quote from: "Gema"
I think that TMZ also wants to prove a point when comes to media and journalism and how "news" circulate.

He (Harvey) says "we knew he was dead" 06:10-06:13

[youtube:1qc4t84r]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EExe2QvfRac[/youtube:1qc4t84r]

Interesting video - I like how he says "let's see how it plays out".

Sind - thank you for this article. I admit that I've been one of the skeptical ones for a long time now and I still remain that way. For me, I'm hoping that Uncle Harve is helping MJ but it can go either way. I appreciate the information. Blessings.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

January 19, 2011, 01:45:53 PM
No worries my love,got to investigate all possible avenues and directions.No one direction can be confirmed as the right one to head in.
I hate TMZ with a passion,apart from Michael and Jackson stories they ruin people's lives in general,they are on the same level as Perez Hilton and I cannot STAND him.Seriously I want to punch him in the face.

However,I too was/kinda still am skeptical of TMZ's involvement in this 'production' but I just sort of had an epiphany about it when looking into the fact they are also the ones who broke the story of Jermaine being in Africa and the whole rest of the worlds leading media outlets all quoted 'According to TMZ.com' every single one.They just took what they said and changed some of the words around but each one quoted TMZ just like they did in June 09 when they announced Michael was dead.
UCLA hadn't even called it and TMZ had confirmed it...with someone or other.

The few threads I am posting in atm are all merging into one path.
I feel like I am writing the same things in each of them...TMZ,prelim,hoax.

I would never sway you away from your thoughts V but I'm saying...look at the similarities between them announcing Michael was dead and saying Jermaine was in Africa...and infact probably every story they have written in between...they are always first and the world's top class tabloids are quoting them.

Sorry,but something is a miss there....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Grace

January 19, 2011, 02:00:52 PM
I think it is safe to say that many more made a lot of money from using Michael's name.
It is important to put this into a scale that would make comparisons feasible.
Yelling "oh they are making money and that money stinks" does not add any value.
It is pure emotional hyperventilation.
We need to step back, breathe and gather some facts to evaluate how much that money really stinks - if at all.

The whole internet has become an open portemonnaie where WE as visitors are being sold and ripped off. We are talking here by far more money than is being made out of Michael Jackson articles on TMZ.
Who knows about profiling in the web? Who knows about long living flash cookies being planted on our desktops by each and every site we are usually clicking on?
Who knows about scraping agencies that focus on the last little snippet of our presence in boards?
Who knows that half of existing iPhone apps are transmitting the place where you are right now? On Facebook, you may tell the public whether you are or aren't at home right now.
Who thinks that the "like it" button of facebook will be used to trace your online behaviour, your habits, preferences and dislikings?
It is motion patterns, profiling and behaviour prognosis that has become the big business in the web, not advertisement, google links or alike. The big players want to know you and predict your actions.

Now you may argue that you have nothing to hide. An upright citizen with no grey shades. Fine.

But will you allow some unknown company acting in the dark to investigate your traces?
Someone you don't know should know about your very private life and go and sell this to some other unknown data collector? Profiles are worth hundreds of $$ and the more details you deliver the more $$ some marketing / PR company will be willing to pay for your data.

In the last 40 minutes my software deleted 17 LSO long living cookies on my desktop (this is not the same kind of cookies you may delete when cleaning your browser history!) and ever since I installed it, it killed over 4300 LSOs.

That is the big money of today and tomorrow, not some articles on some small tabloid site that is not important outside of the U.S. and not important to the world (and not important at all to non-hoaxers).

We have to see the dimensions to understand the impact.
TMZ is harmless and always good for a joke and what they earn - so be it, Harvey needs a carrot too, once in a while.  ;)  The big gamblers are other media these days.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Create your day. Create the most astounding year of your life. Be the change you want to see in the world! L.O.V.E.
***********************************************************************************************
"I am tired, I am really tired of manipulation." Michael Jackson, Harlem, New York, NY, July 6, 2002
***********************************************************************************************
******* Let's tear the walls in the brains of this world down.*******

Time to BE.

January 19, 2011, 02:23:31 PM
Excellent post Grace!

I still don't like them though hahaha
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mind

January 19, 2011, 02:55:57 PM
wow you guys have just about convinced me to go crawl back under my rock and stay there. :lol:  :cry:  :lol:  :cry:  :lol:  :cry:  :lol:  :cry:  :lol:  :cry:  :lol:  :cry:  :lol:  :cry:  :lol:  :cry:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

Grace

January 19, 2011, 03:00:23 PM
:shock:  Don't, we need you HERE !  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Create your day. Create the most astounding year of your life. Be the change you want to see in the world! L.O.V.E.
"I am tired, I am really tired of manipulation." Michael Jackson, Harlem, New York, NY, July 6, 2002
******* Let's tear the walls in the brains of this world down.*******

Time to BE.

MissG

January 19, 2011, 03:08:54 PM
:lol:  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal