Rebbie is the not-scandalous Jackson
April 08, 2011, 11:29:24 AM

By Courtney Devores
Special to the Observer
Posted: Wednesday, Apr. 06, 2011

The eldest Jackson sister, Rebbie Jackson, performed alongside her sisters and brothers and had a string of solo hits in the 1980s - the biggest of which was the Michael Jackson-penned "Centipede."

Rebbie was never a target of tabloid fodder. There were no reports of divorce, yo-yoing weight, plastic surgeries, drugs, financial problems or "Playboy" layouts to garner a spicy headline. The eldest sibling was more focused on family than fame; she had three children with her childhood sweetheart. But she was as much a part of Jackson fever as most of her family.

"My brothers had a tour book that you could buy at the concerts and my name was all through it. I remember the first tour I was standing in the bleachers and fans were calling my name," she recalled recently while en route to rehearsals for her tour that stops at McGlohon Theatre tonight.

Jackson may be one of the more private members of the family, but she's never stopped performing for long. She's done a stint in Vegas and recently returned from a tour of Japan.

She's back touring the U.S., but her mission has as much to do with family ties as it does entertaining. Her "Pick Up the Phone" tour is a benefit to raise awareness about mental illness and suicide prevention. Her interest in the subject and involvement with the National Alliance on Mental Illness (NAMI) was sparked by her daughter's struggle with bipolar disorder.

"During a particularly difficult episode, she went to the message boards of NAMI and found incredible assistance," explains Jackson.

"She's doing extremely well now. She has a book of poems out and is doing a documentary. I usually don't go into detail, because she wants to express and explain it. She does an open mic every week in Hollywood."

After the death of her brother, Jackson was apprehensive about performing again, but the opportunity to draw attention to the cause helped draw her back to the stage.

"When he passed, I couldn't listen to (his) music," she says, saying that the media made it nearly impossible to escape the image or voice of Michael.

"Everywhere, any store I went into. They saturated the market with his music. In the newsstands, the bookstands - you couldn't get away from it. For the longest time I didn't want to be involved in anything. I was one of the main ones (in the family) that didn't want to be doing anything out there, but this is how I make my living."

Nearly two years later, Jackson, who was reportedly the last in the family to record with Michael, has reclaimed her brother's music, performing a few of his tracks in her set as well as some of her own hits and a couple of covers.

"It's not easy. I have my days. Part of today I was down a bit, but I'm a positive person," she says. "I'll hopefully be able to see him again."

NOTICE THIS LAST LINE????-
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mind

Re: Rebbie is the not-scandalous Jackson
April 08, 2011, 11:42:09 AM
yes wasn't she the one who was so positive she would see him in the kingdom ?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

April 08, 2011, 12:24:24 PM
She isn't the only  "non-scandalous Jackson" , hate the word, where they didn't bad talked about.For instance Marlon, he's still married to the same woman.I never heard anything bad about him either.And Rebbie wasn't very much in the picture ever, if I recall it right.Maybe the intension of this article is good but it gaves me a bad taste. :evil:  About the last sentence, she has written this also in the book at the memorial or burial, I don't remember which one it was.From what I understood this is not such a weird thing to say as a Jehovah Witness.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

April 08, 2011, 12:27:34 PM
Quote from: "allforlove"
She isn't the only  "non-scandalous Jackson" , hate the word, where they didn't bad talked about.For instance Marlon, he's still married to the same woman.I never heard anything bad about him either.And Rebbie wasn't very much in the picture ever, if I recall it right.Maybe the intension of this article is good but it gaves me a bad taste. :evil:  About the last sentence, she has written this also in the book at the memorial or burial, I don't remember which one it was.From what I understood this is not such a weird thing to say as a Jehovah Witness.

Yep...her as a witness would think that...I think it's sad to say hopefully she will see him.. But, outside of the witness thing...???  really?  Who's to say how she meant it right?  I mean, we could say that's what she meant, and ignore the obvious :)))
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mdc

April 08, 2011, 06:14:31 PM
I'm not sure how often she performs but I thought she seemed a bit awkward on stage at this concert. Maybe she was upset at how few people showed up but with little to no promotion that's what you get. I wouldn't even have known about this concert if my friends son had not been playing in the band that opened for her. And though it would have probably been in bad taste to do so, I just wish I had tried to ask her a few questions while I had a Jackson on the east coast. It sure would have livened up that concert.  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

PureLove

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • To die would be an awfully big adventure.
April 08, 2011, 08:04:32 PM
Quote from: "allforlove"

Totally agree. She wrote same kind of thing at the memorial because she's a Jehovah Witness. I agree with your entire post.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions