Telegraph-"Usher's personality lost to MJ"
February 05, 2011, 04:40:34 PM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Usher, O2 Arena, review
Usher tried his best to emulate his idol Michael Jackson, but the search for a new pop monarch is still very much on.

Perhaps more than any other pop act, Texas-born Usher has cast himself as the heir to Michael Jackson.
 Making albums from his early teens; the voice, the dance moves, the faux-military costumes have all been carefully honed since his 1994 debut. Playing the same venue as Jackson’s ill-fated 'This Is It’ concerts has therefore given the chart-topping star his best opportunity to fill the King of Pop’s empty shoes. Sadly however, so considerable was the Jackson-aping that for the majority of the evening Usher’s own personality was curiously lacking.
The ’King’ is dead, of course, and the 32-year-old pretender to his throne has been left a host of big-impact, mesmerising concert tricks which many contemporary artists use to ensure the success of their arena shows. Few other stars would dare emulate Michael Jackson’s performances quite so completely, however.

From the start, big screens showed Usher in the same unappealing role of messianic dictator Jackson so loved to play. The younger man took off a helmet to show us his face for the first time — just as Jackson did 20 ago.

’U Remind Me’ (a wonderfully bouncy record from 2001) used choreography eerily mirroring Jackson’s performances of ’The Way You Make Me Feel’. There really was little you hadn’t seen somewhere before in a Michael Jackson show.

Had the reclusive pop icon survived for his concert run in 2009, the biggest doubt was whether a 50-year-old could keep up with the dance moves he’d made famous three decades previously. In contrast, this is where Usher is undoubtedly at the top of his game: body-popping and sliding with elegant ease. Yet, even during his most recent monster hit 'OMG’, Usher needlessly brought out Jackson’s trademark trilby. The routine could have been excellent if Usher’s personality — rather than that of his hero – had been allowed to shine through.

Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: Telegraph-"Usher's personality lost to MJ"
February 05, 2011, 04:45:29 PM
I HOPE I don't insult anyone, but I'm NOT a fan of Usher.  For quite sometime he's been trying to emulate Michael and not doing good at it.  Since Michael left, Usher apparently thinks he can fill the void musically.  That man has no rhythm...he just jumps around trying to look like Michael moves.  It truly irritates me!!  Can you tell???  Sorry to vent..but touchy to me.  No one is or will be MICHAEL.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

February 05, 2011, 04:51:13 PM
Can people just stop trying to be MJ and start being their own self? Not only is it impossible to fill his shoes, it's also pathetic to see them try so hard. Usher has talent and should use it to become Usher, not MJ. I just don't get it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 05, 2011, 04:58:24 PM
This is just so sad, sick and sorry, but disgusting. I wanted to remember Usher singing Gone to soon at the memorial. Now I just cant help it but FAKE is the only word that comes to mind now...

Someone should do Usher the favor and tell him this is the beginning of an end....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 05, 2011, 05:25:51 PM
Why do people keep saying Usher is the heir to Michael Jackson.  Usher sucks.  Always has, always will.  Not to offend anyone, but he just isn't good.  Leave him and Mike be separate people.  Just because somebody dies doesn't mean somebody else has to take their title.  Elvis is dead, do we call somebody else The King now? No.  Michael is the King of Pop.  Leave it be.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 05, 2011, 05:29:28 PM
Usher's "performance" at the Memorial really turned me off.  His performance seemed so fake to me; I couldn't wait for him to stop singing.  And then when he touched the coffin, I remember thinking 'Oh Please'!  I didn't think Michael was even in the coffin (I still thought he was really dead at this time, although the Memorial was the first thing that made me truly wonder).  Anyway, I don't mean to bash Usher and I do think he has talent (I also recently saw him in a movie and thought he acted well too), but I still can't shake that performance, even though it's been a year and a half.  He needs to stop trying to be Michael and be his own self already.  You would think these younger artists would have learned to be themselves from Michael, someone who truly was himself.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 05, 2011, 05:31:39 PM
Quote from: "PeaceLoveHappiness"
Usher's "performance" at the Memorial really turned me off.  His performance seemed so fake to me; I couldn't wait for him to stop singing.  And then when he touched the coffin, I remember thinking 'Oh Please'!  I didn't think Michael was even in the coffin (I still thought he was really dead at this time, although the Memorial was the first thing that made me truly wonder).  Anyway, I don't mean to bash Usher and I do think he has talent (I also recently saw him in a movie and thought he acted well too), but I still can't shake that performance, even though it's been a year and a half.  He needs to stop trying to be Michael and be his own self already.  You would think these younger artists would have learned to be themselves from Michael, someone who truly was himself.

Touching the coffin was too much...a cliche in the worst imaginable form. But I didnt know he's SO lame...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 05, 2011, 06:20:01 PM
Usher, Usher, Usher....God bless you for trying. However, the greats get where they are by being original. Michael learned from his idols but took it one step further and made it his own. This is the lesson you've missed.

When the younger generation try to emulate you all they will be doing is imitating you imitating MJ. Not original at all...and please try to be a little more humble because your pride is going to get you into trouble and don't be so anxious to put yourself on the throne because you'll be knocked down for sure.

Kings are always king...and MJ will always be the King of Pop.

Usher - your ambition is commended but please just work at being the best Usher you can be and not try to be someone you're not. Blessings.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

RK

February 05, 2011, 06:35:40 PM
Quote from: "PeaceLoveHappiness"
I'll add the only performance that "felt" okay at the memorial for me was John Mayer. I wasn't awake to the hoax then but boy oh boy, the internal radar was going crazy.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 10, 2011, 05:23:36 AM
Usher, go home and study the great and become greater. Michael said it all the time - you should LISTEN to Michael - not imitate him.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"... and the truth shall set you free" David Icke

February 10, 2011, 02:20:44 PM
Just as there was never a "new" John Lennon, or a "new" Elvis Presley...  there will never be another "MJ".

They are, and always will be, originals.  We are all unique.  Why try and be someone else???
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 10, 2011, 02:28:33 PM
I hate that people keep trying to find a new King of Pop. Whatever happened to originality? I mean Michael hasn't even been gone for a lengthy amount of time, and people are already trying to replace him. Let Michael be. The King of Pop is HIS name, not Usher's. It's degrading to MJ and his legend, when they keep tossing his title around to random artists.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
June 25, 2009 - The Day I Woke Up

February 11, 2011, 12:05:02 PM
He did it again at the Super Bowl :@
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Datroot

February 11, 2011, 12:41:49 PM
I think he needs to be ushered to one side.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I'M A LOVER, NOT A FIGHTER

February 11, 2011, 01:32:22 PM
Quote from: "Datroot"
I think he needs to be ushered to one side.

LOL!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions