Very interesting!

Michael Jackson Song Catalog Will Moonwalk to Sony/ATV Publishing
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Exclusive: Michael Jackson, even in death, remains in the middle of the current musical chairs deals in the declining record industry.
For all these years, Michael’s MiJac Publishing has been administered by Warner Chappell, part of what is now Warner Music Group. MiJac includes not only Michael’s hits that he wrote, like “Billie Jean” and “Beat It,” but a vast number of other hits including those of Ray Charles, Curtis Mayfield, and Sly and the Family Stone.
Warner Chappell doesn’t own MiJac but it administers the rights to it and collects hefty fees. With WMG for sale, and talk of Warner Chappell being sold off, MiJac would seem like an integral part of their story.
But there’s a hitch that I can reveal to you: MiJac is leaving Warner Chappell and going to become part of Sony/ATV Music Publishing, the company that Michael Jackson’s estate co-owns with Sony and contains the Beatles catalog.
According to sources, this arrangement was written into the MiJac contract with Warner Chappell years ago. It would be triggered by the release of the next Jackson album–in this case, the recent “Michael”–and the repayment of loans.
The move by MiJac to Sony/ATV is a big deal for many reasons. With both WMG and EMI Music for sale, Sony
Sony/ATV could be kicking the tires of each company’s publishing divisions for purchase. But Warner Chappell might be less interesting to Sony ATV considering they’re already getting Mi Jac. And without MiJac, Warner Chappell–which just had a down quarter–might not look so good to other potential buyers.
What may happen now: the newer, and very hot, BMG Music Rights will likely make a play for EMI Music Publishing. EMI Music–the record company, which has the Beatles albums in its catalog–the physical albums and box sets–could then be merged with another record company like Sony Music or, more horrifyingly, Warner Music. Stay tuned.
Categories: Celebrity, Music
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hope is both the earliest and the most indispensable virtue inherent in the state of being alive. If life is to be sustained hope must remain, even where confidence is wounded, trust impaired."
Erik H. Erikson

Interesting. Now if I can only get this fully. lol Anyone want to explain this in simple terms?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Awareness + Awakening = Higher Consciousness

Yeah...confusing...
Probably because there has always been on going business with Michael during his "hiatus".   I've never read ANYTHING about this Warner.  I'd even researched it awhile ago when I heard Warner was going for sale.  We had posts on it.  It was on TMZ.  How could Sony BUY it if they OWN it already??  
This is crazy.  There has to have been some moving done lately we didn't hear about.  Strange with Michael now having the largest contract ever isn't it??
Some one with more understanding of this, please look into our other posts on the sale of Warner by Sony and see what you can find about how this relates to Warner, MiJac Music and Sony NOW!!!
I'm confused...again... :(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

RunFaYaLife

I haven't looked at the other post...but it sounds like they may be selling off the other half to SONY? or whatever percentage that MJ still owned?
Remember he retained most of that catalog....from what I have read.

Just my 2 centavos
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

Quote from: "looking4truth"
Interesting. Now if I can only get this fully. lol Anyone want to explain this in simple terms?
That Sony is going to make lots of $$$
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "~Souza~"
Quote from: "looking4truth"
That Sony is going to make lots of $$$
Okay that's what I was thinking but Michael's Estate will still have ownership of the catalog correct?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Right...of course.
The way I think it goes...Michael bought ATV...then Sony bought half, which means Michael now owns, what a half of ATV. or does he now own half of Sony music...I doubt THAT.
So, as his music, Mijac music was NOT part of the ATV collection, that was safe from others profiting from it or him losing it to Sony.  That music was administered by Warner...they collected the moneys for it for a fee.
 Now if Sony bought Warner, they'd NOT own Mijac music, but collect monies from the royalties for a fee now.  But, Michael would still own his music, collect the royalties from Sony (Warner).
Seems like..Michael just cut out the middle man...Warner!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Yeah, it sounds like that MiJac Publishing has always belonged to Michael and therefore the Estated, but was for some reason set up to be administered by Warner Chappell ( seems like it migh have been collateral in a loan) . There was probably a clause that if Warner music group goes belly up or has to be sold that MiJack would automatically go back under the ATV catalogue (Warner cannot sell what they don't own, after all).

Sounds to me like all the eggs are going back into one basket. And this seems planned,as it states that the release from MiJack from Warner back to ATV was coupled to the release of a new album, - Michael. So, was someone (MJ?)  planning to get control back over all his assets? That's how I interpret it anyway.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Hope is both the earliest and the most indispensable virtue inherent in the state of being alive. If life is to be sustained hope must remain, even where confidence is wounded, trust impaired."
Erik H. Erikson

Quote from: "fordtocarr"
Right...of course.
The way I think it goes...Michael bought ATV...then Sony bought half, which means Michael now owns, what a half of ATV. or does he now own half of Sony music...I doubt THAT.
So, as his music, Mijac music was NOT part of the ATV collection, that was safe from others profiting from it or him losing it to Sony.  That music was administered by Warner...they collected the moneys for it for a fee.
 Now if Sony bought Warner, they'd NOT own Mijac music, but collect monies from the royalties for a fee now.  But, Michael would still own his music, collect the royalties from Sony (Warner).

Okay it's getting clearer to me. Thanks for the explanation.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

Right...of course.
That's what I get too. It seems Sony gets rewarded in a lot of ways, which makes me believe at least some key people there are on his side.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Right...of course.
Lol- seems we posted at the same time.  I totally agree with how you see it. :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Erik H. Erikson

Thank you for sharing this! I agree - very confusing.

My interpretation is that the company that currently holds the contract to administer the rights to MiJac music (just the rights, not the actual music) has lost it's contract. This apparently was written in the original contract between WMG and MJ years ago. It was probably a clause stating that if Warner were in a position where they needed to sell that the MiJac contract would default to Sony/Atv or Sony/Atv would gain first rights.

From my understanding Warner MG made hefty profits off of managing these rights. So, if Sony/Atv regains these rights it means that MJ will benefit because not only will he get the same portion as before for owning the music but now he will also get 1/2 (or better) for managing the rights too. This gives him more control over his own music. Smart move, if you ask me. Was this something that Branca was involved with years ago?

I don't know if Michael had anything to do with this now but it was a smart move to have this in his contract. Just my opinion. Also, this does place Sony/Atv in a powerful position. It will be interesting to see how this plays out.

Edit: fordtocar - I just saw your post. Exactly what I was trying to say. Blessings!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

RunFaYaLife

Perhaps the infamous John Braca is still protecting his and MJ's estate interest in this deal?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Again...RIGHT ON!!
Great Michael move.  He cuts out the middle man, and so, SONY now will pay him royalties, and Sony gets paid to do so, by him.  It's a circle.  He's paying himself.  Just moving the monies around.
Mijac music.
Sony collects the royalties.  
Sony pays Mijac the royalties.
Mijac pays Sony to collect  it.
Mijac music is Michael.  
Sony/Atv is also Michael.
Just moving monies :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Absolutely- another brilliant, pre-planned shell game.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Erik H. Erikson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal