rasyteTopic starter

Japan earthquake
March 11, 2011, 05:34:34 AM
Dozens of people reported killed after 8.9-magnitude quake strikes off northeastern coast, sparking tsunami.

At least 29 people are reported to have been killed after one of the strongest earthquakes ever recorded struck Japan, triggering a 10-metre-high tsunami along parts of the country's northeastern coastline.

The massive 8.9-magnitude earthquake struck Japan on Friday, sweeping away cars, boats, homes and people as widespread fires burned out of control.

Japan's NHK television reported many injuries and showed pictures of major tsunami damage in the north, with buildings being inundated by waves of water in Onahama city in Fukushima prefecture.

Police and authorities said 29 people had been confirmed dead in the aftermath of the quake and tsunami, though some news agencies put the number of dead as high as 32.

The death toll included three people who were reportedly crushed to death when their houses collapsed in Ibaraki prefecture, northeast of the capital, Tokyo.

News of the deaths came amid a warning that another strong quake could be imminent on the northeast Honshu island, Japan's main island.

Prime minister's address

Japan's prime minister addressed the nation after the quake, saying major damage had been done but that help is on the way.

In a televised address on Friday, Naoto Kan said the government was making "every effort possible" to minimise damage.

"The earthquake has caused major damage in broad areas in northern Japan," he said. "Some of the nuclear power plants in the region have automatically shut down, but there is no leakage of radioactive materials to the environment."

His words came amid the issuing of a tsunami warning for much of the Pacific region, following a wave set off by the Japan quake that is currently higher than some Pacific islands, the International Federation of Red Cross and Red Crescent Societies said.

"Our biggest concern is the Asia and Pacific region, where developing countries are far more vulnerable to this type of
unfolding disaster. The tsunami is a major threat," Paul Conneally, spokesman for the federation, the world's biggest
disaster relief network, told the Reuters news agency in Geneva.

"At the moment, it is higher than some islands and could go right over them," he said.

Houses washed away

Shortly after the quake struck, a 10-metre tsunami hit Sendai airport in the north-east. Television footage showed people standing on the roof of the terminal building.

The tsunami roared over embankments in Sendai city, washing cars, houses and farm equipment inland before reversing directions and carrying them out to sea. Flames shot from some of the houses, probably because of burst gas pipes.
A tsunami warning has been issued for the entire Pacific basin except mainland United States and Canada, the US Pacific Tsunami Warning Center said.

"An earthquake of this size has the potential to generate a destructive tsunami that can strike coastlines near the epicentre within minutes and more distant coastlines within hours," the centre said in a statement.

Among the countries for which a tsunami warning is in effect are: Russia, the Philippines, Indonesia, Papua New Guinea, Fiji, Mexico, Guatemala, El Salvador, Costa Rica, Nicaragua, Panama, Honduras, Chile, Ecuador, Colombia and Peru.

Al Jazeera's Step Vaessen, reporting from Indonesia, said a 50cm-1m tsunami was expected to hit parts of the coastline there shortly.

"Lots of people have moved away from the beaches," she said. "They've gone to higher grounds. Shops on the beach are closed but authorities have not ordered a forced evacuation, people have left voluntarily."

Meanwhile our correspondent Marga Ortigas, in the Philippines capital Manila, said the military there had been ordered to help evacuate areas at risk on the east coast.

Taiwanese authorities said minor tsunamis set off by Japan's quake reached the island's coastline without causing any damage.

High alert

Meanwhile, a huge fire engulfed an oil refinery in Iichihara near Tokyo, where four million homes were said to be without electricity. Plumes of smoke rose from at least 10 locations in city.

Military airplanes were flying over the worst-affected areas to assess the need for rescue efforts and 30 international search and rescue teams were prepared to go to Japan to provide assistance following the quake, the United Nations said.

Yukiko Shimahara, a Japanese journalist, told Al Jazeera that the airports and trains in Tokyo have been shut down following the quake.

The quake that struck at 2:46pm was followed by a series of powerful aftershocks, including a 7.4-magnitude one about 30 minutes later.

Al Jazeera's Melissa Chan, reporting from Beijing, said tremors were felt as far away as the Chinese capital.

Several earthquakes have hit the region in recent days, including a 7.2-magnitude quake on Wednesday.

"Japan has been on high alert since the earthquake on Wednesday," Al Jazeera's Harry Fawcett, following developments from the Malaysian capital, Kuala Lumpur, said.

"Japan is very well equipped to deal both with the initial tremors caused by an earthquake: buildings are systematically built with allowances for sway so that they are less likely to fall down. Also coastal cities have long had tsunami protection measures in place."

Friday's quake struck at a depth of 24 kilometres, about 125 kilometres off the eastern coast, the country's meteorological agency said.

The quake's magnitude surpasses the 7.9 Great Kanto quake of 1923, which killed more than 140,000 people in the Tokyo area.

Japan lies on the "Ring of Fire"- an arc of earthquake and volcanic zones that stretches around the Pacific Rim and where about 90 per cent of the world's quakes occur.
  :?  :?  :?
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

[size=85]
Nothing good ever comes easy      
All good things come in due time                
Yes it does      
You gotta have something to believe in            
I\'m telling you to open your mind
[/size]

rasyteTopic starter

Re: Japan earthquake
March 11, 2011, 06:06:21 AM
this is horrible disaster.. Now 44ppl found  dead others missing.. number increasing by minutes..  :?   i cant imagine... my hands shaking... I'm so sorry for all these ppl... :(  
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

[size=85]
Nothing good ever comes easy      
All good things come in due time                
Yes it does      
You gotta have something to believe in            
I\'m telling you to open your mind
[/size]

Grace

March 11, 2011, 06:14:14 AM
Why is it that we seem to have so much compassion facing the inevitable
yet we seem to have so little compassion facing the evitable.

We are heading with open eyes into another war.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Create your day. Create the most astounding year of your life. Be the change you want to see in the world! L.O.V.E.
***********************************************************************************************
"I am tired, I am really tired of manipulation." Michael Jackson, Harlem, New York, NY, July 6, 2002
***********************************************************************************************
******* Let's tear the walls in the brains of this world down.*******

Time to BE.

March 11, 2011, 06:17:38 AM
:(  :(  :(  :(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (B. Howard Fans)
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login (Martin Page Fans)

Elsa

March 11, 2011, 06:37:20 AM
Can't believe it  - my sister and I were talking about the possibility of an earthquake in Japan just last night, because in the past there seem to have been reciprocal earthquakes/tremors between NZ and Japan.        

People around the Pacific rim might be interested in this site for Tsunami information:

Praying for Japan.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 11, 2011, 06:57:29 AM
Horrifying news. Praying for all impacted.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

2good2btrue

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • FORGIVENESS IS THE KEY TO YOUR HAPPINESS
March 11, 2011, 07:25:42 AM
Whats up with all these natural disasters lately???

This is frightening, and it feels as if it is too late to reverse whatever damage has been done.  There has been alot of activity under the earth, and that worries me heaps.

What's next??  How bad is this going to get?  Are we all going to die soon??  Is the end of the world starting to happen???

We might need to all built an arc, just like Noah !!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 11, 2011, 07:29:46 AM
At work but my heart will not allow me to continue this day without coming here and sending prayers out to our Japanese family who are being affected by the earthquake and the resulting weather anomalies that followed.  I also am praying that the families in Hawaii, California and any other states, continents that are in the path of this destruction will be safe and shielded.  It seems that life is so fleeting during these times, even more so than ever before.  :cry:  Disasters are occurring everywhere and lives, vibrant, promising lives are being lost to them.  In the twinkling of an eye, it can be over.  Live life well.  Love everybody.  Give to those in need.  Money is nothing if not being used for the good of man.   I am still here today only by the grace of God.   I will keep the families who have lost loved ones in my prayers, and pray even more for those of us who are left behind.   Our time and hour is yet to come. God be merciful. :cry:

Later family.  I love you all.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

xxmjxx

March 11, 2011, 07:50:30 AM
All what is happening in the world latley is getting very frightning, :(  :(  :(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

March 11, 2011, 08:53:50 AM
When I saw the news on television this morning of the earthquake could not leave my astonishment, that just two days before I read the following:

Could 'supermoon' next week disrupt Earth's weather?
Moon comes at its closest approach for 19 years

By David Derbyshire
Last updated at 3:25 PM on 9th March 2011

It doesn't take much to get the Internet's lunar-tics out in force.
The web was yesterday awash with apocalyptic warnings that the movement of the  moon will trigger tidal waves, volcanic eruptions and even earthquakes next week.

The conspiracy theorists claim that on March 19, the moon will be closer to Earth than at any time since 1992 - just 221,567 miles away - and that its gravitational pull will bring chaos to Earth

Earth will be at its closest point - some 221,567 miles away - to the moon in 19 years on March 19. Some fear the 'lunar perigee' will affect our climate pattern

However, astronomers have dismissed the claims as pure nonsense.
The bizarre rumours centre

The moon's orbit around Earth is not a circle, but an eclipse. At its closest approach - the perigee - the moon appears brighter and larger in the sky. When it is furthest away - the apogee - it is smaller and dimmer.
A lunar perigee occurs once a month. However, next week's perigee coincides with a full moon - a combination of events that happen just once every two or three years.  

Although it makes a good photo opportunity for astronomers, scientists say it has no impact on Earth.

Previous supermoons took place in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005 - all years that had extreme weather events

Dr David Harland, space historian and author, said: 'It's possible that the moon may be a kilometre or two closer to Earth than normal at a perigee, but it's an utterly insignificant event. '

But the Internet is awash with conspiracy-minded amateur scientists warning that such a 'supermoon' could disrupt Earth's climate patterns and may even cause earthquakes and volcanic activity.

Previous supermoons took place in 1955, 1974, 1992 and 2005 - all years that had extreme weather events, the conspiracy theorists say.

The tsunami that killed hundreds of thousands of people in Indonesia happened two weeks before the January 2005 supermoon. And on Christmas Day 1974, Cyclone Tracy laid waste to Darwin, Australia.

Coincidence? Banda Aceh, Indonesia, was devastated by the December 2004 tsunami which took place two weeks before a supermoon

But Pete Wheeler of the International Centre for Radio Astronomy greeted warnings of an impending apocalypse with scepticism.

'There will be no earthquakes or volcanoes erupting, unless they are to happen anyway,' he told news.com.au.
'Earth will experience just a lower than usual low tide and a higher than usual high tide around the time of the event, but nothing to get excited about.'

Australian astronomer David Reneke agreed, pointing out that conspiracy theorists will always be able to find a natural disaster to link to a certain time and blame it on a supermoon.

'If you try hard enough you can chronologically associate almost any natural disaster or event to anything in the night sky - comet, planet, sun,' he said.

'Remember in the past, planetary alignments were going to pull the sun apart. It didn't happen. Astrologers draw a very long bow most times.

'Normal king tides are about all I would expect out of this supermoon prediction.'

During a full moon, the sun and the moon are pulling on Earth from opposite sides - making the chances of any dramatic tidal events unlikely.
On average the moon is 235,000 miles away. At its furthest it is 248,000 miles away.
During a lunar perigee and full moon, the lunar surface can appear up to 14 per cent bigger and 30 per cent brighter than other full moons.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

ROFL

March 11, 2011, 08:58:45 AM
Quote from: "Grace"

agreed
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
If they could love like you and me, imagine what the world could be.

MissG

March 11, 2011, 10:17:58 AM
I have a friend in Japan and sent her an email about "my stupid dream" a couple of days ago :roll: I think I need to change my profession.

Quote from: "ROFL"
Quote from: "Grace"

agreed

I am fearing the same.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

March 11, 2011, 11:16:01 AM
Hello people!!!!

I just came home from work and some of my friends told me that a earthquake hit again  :? .
OMG I can't believe this,yesterday it was a earthquake in China and now in Japan also??????  :shock:  :shock:  :shock:  :cry:  :cry: .What is happening to our world?????  :?: In february we had an earthquake in New Zeeland, so what more disasters will happen and when???
It's like a nightmare,like a bad dream .Since 2009 the disasters are more often ,maybe Michael was right,we have just 4 years to make it right and after that will be ireversible  :? .Why have so many people have to die?? :cry:  :cry:
God help us but we live strange times this is for sure.

[attachment=0:171bsrqf]c42a840098beb6f84c191ac289884b43.jpg[/attachment:171bsrqf]
Even for a country used to earthquakes, this one was of horrific proportions because of the tsunami that crashed ashore, swallowing everything in its path as it surged several miles (kilometers) inland before retreating. The apocalyptic images on Japanese TV of powerful, debris-filled waves, uncontrolled fires and a ship caught in a massive whirlpool resembled scenes from a Hollywood disaster movie.

LOVE
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

March 11, 2011, 12:45:11 PM
The numerology once more,.or another terrible coincidence

EARTHQUAKE IN JAPAN CAUSES A HUGE TSUNAMI, DATED 11-3-11, THE DARK SKY SERIES OF 1996 REVEALS THAT DATE. AGAIN, THE NUMEROLOGY IS INDISPUTABLE

series of the year 1996 "dark sky", whose motto is "The story is lie", in which too many things are revealed. In one of the 20 chapters of the series appears in first plane the following enrolment in a coche:9w 311, this registration read in American English (month, day) can be drawn the following dates: March 11 (attacks of Madrid)(, Earthquake of Japan 11 of 3 of 11), September 11 (attacks twin towers) and it could go extracting more combinations, accepting bets for upcoming dates.

Here is another figure that appeared in a military JEEP in the same series, make their numerological accounts and propose their ideas...

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

paula-c

March 11, 2011, 01:17:20 PM
To see the enlarged photo of the enrolment of cart of photo click on the link and then is the photo

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login ... iscutible/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions