Number 7

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Janet Jackson Signs Film Production Deal with Lionsgate (Exclusive)
Source: The Hollywood Reporter Tue Mar 15, 2011, 3:00 pm EDT

Janet Jackson is becoming a movie producer. The performer-actress has signed a production deal with Lionsgate to select, develop and produce a feature film for the independent studio.
Jackson has a thriving music career—she’s currently on world tour—but this is her first foray into film producing. She says movies have always been her first love.

“Many people forget I started out as an actor,” she tells THR. “I have been fortunate to work in the film industry, though not as much as I would like. I have a passion for storytelling, and have been doing it through my music for some time.”

A deal with Lionsgate was a natural fit. Jackson has starred in three Tyler Perry films--Why Did I Get Married, Why Did I Get Married Too and For Colored Girls. She also starred in John Singleton’s 1993 drama Poetic Justice.

Mike Paseornek, Lionsgate president of motion picture production and development, says the studio recognized Jackson’s instinct for great stories.

“She is a powerful on-screen presence, with a vast audience, and we believe she will be an equally powerful presence behind the scenes,” Paseornek says. “We are honored to be able to provide a home for her ideas, passion and immense talent.”

In terms of the film projects she might pursue, Jackson says she is drawn to diverse material. She says she is particularly captivated by film noir.

The deal with Lionsgate was negotiated by Paseornek, executive vp business & legal affairs Robert Melnik and director of business & legal affairs Neil Ollivierra on behalf of the studio. Negotiating on behalf of Jackson and her jdj Entertainment were attorneys Tom Hoberman and Don Steele of the Hansen Jacobson firm.

Earlier this month, Jackson’s memoir True You: A  Journey to Finding and Loving Yourself debuted at No. 1 on the New York Times bestseller list.

Presently, Jackson is on her Number Ones: Up Close and Personal world tour. The performer and actress has sold more than 100 million records worldwide, and ranks as one of the bestselling artists in the history of contemporary music.

Jackson is repped by WME, JdJ Entertainment, the Sterling Winters Co., Hansen Jacobson and Hertz & Lichtenstein.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Number 7

Film Noir You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
A French phrase literally meaning "black film" that developed in the early 40s; refers to a genre of mostly black-and-white films that blossomed in the post-war era in American cinema, with bleak subject matter and a somber, downbeat tone; the plot (often a quest), low-key lighting often in night scenes, camera angles (often canted or high-angle shots), the setting (the gloomy underworld of crime and corruption), iconography (guns, urban settings), characters (disillusioned, jaded), and other elements combined to present a dark atmosphere of pessimism, tension, cynicism, or oppression.

Film noir You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Film noir is a cinematic term used primarily to describe stylish Hollywood crime dramas, particularly those that emphasize cynical attitudes and sexual motivations. Hollywood's classic film noir period is generally regarded as stretching from the early 1940s to the late 1950s. Film noir of this era is associated with a low-key black-and-white visual style that has roots in German Expressionist cinematography. Many of the prototypical stories and much of the attitude of classic noir derive from the hardboiled school of crime fiction that emerged in the United States during the Depression.

The term film noir, French for "black film",[1] first applied to Hollywood movies by French critic Nino Frank in 1946, was unknown to most American film industry professionals of the classic era.[2] Cinema historians and critics defined the noir canon in retrospect. Before the notion was widely adopted in the 1970s, many of the classic film noirs were referred to as melodramas.[a] The question of whether film noir qualifies as a distinct genre is a matter of ongoing debate among scholars.

Film noir encompasses a range of plots—the central figure may be a private eye (The Big Sleep), a plainclothes policeman (The Big Heat), an aging boxer (The Set-Up), a hapless grifter (Night and the City), a law-abiding citizen lured into a life of crime (Gun Crazy), or simply a victim of circumstance (D.O.A.). Though the noir mode was originally identified with American productions, films now customarily described as noir have been made around the world. Many pictures released from the 1960s onward share attributes with film noirs of the classic period, often treating noir conventions in a self-referential manner. Such latter-day works in a noir mode are often referred to as neo-noirs. The tropes of film noir have inspired parody since the mid-1940s.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Number 7

Seems to be the genre of film that Michael also enjoyed.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Top Rated "Film-Noir" Titles

1.   Sunset Blvd. (1950)   
2.   Double Indemnity (1944)   
3.   The Third Man (1949)   
4.   The Maltese Falcon (1941)   
5.   Touch of Evil (1958)   
6.   Strangers on a Train (1951)   
7.   Notorious (1946)   
8.   The Big Sleep (1946)   
9.   Ace in the Hole (1951)   
10.   White Heat (1949)   
11.   The Night of the Hunter (1955)   
12.   The Killing (1956)   
13.   Rififi (1955)   
14.   Laura (1944)   
15.   Sweet Smell of Success (1957)   
16.   I Am a Fugitive from a Chain Gang (1932)   
17.   Shadow of a Doubt (1943)   
18.   Out of the Past (1947)   
19.   In a Lonely Place (1950) Scene from this movie is in TII (Smooth Criminal) and a song from this movie in the TII Credits but not in TII.
20.   Night and the City (1950)   
21.   The Big Heat (1953)   
22.   Key Largo (1948)   
23.   The Killers (1946)   
24.   The Asphalt Jungle (1950)   
25.   Mildred Pierce (1945)   
26.   Angels with Dirty Faces (1938)   
27.   Pickup on South Street (1953)   
28.   Scarface (1932)   
29.   Fury (1936)   
30.   The Fallen Idol (1948)   
31.   Body and Soul (1947)