March 28, 2011, 07:55:17 PM
Judge rules Michael Jackson's business manager must testify
By Alan Duke, CNN
March 28, 2011 7:41 p.m. EDT
STORY HIGHLIGHTS
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Tohme Tohme's lawyers claim he was not properly served with a subpoena
Dr. Conrad Murray's lawyers call Tohme a critical defense witness
Tohme had "intimate knowledge" of Jackson's finances and drug use, Murray lawyers say
Testimony in Murray's involuntary manslaughter trial starts May 9
Los Angeles (CNN) -- Michael Jackson's former business manager, Tohme Tohme, must testify in the trial of Dr. Conrad Murray, who is accused in Jackson's death, a judge ruled Monday.
Tohme's lawyers argued that their client was not properly served the subpoena, but a process server testified she handed it to Tohme at his home on March 3. A used car dealer testified Monday that he was with Tohme at an auto auction at the time.
"I am satisfied there was service in this case," said Los Angeles Superior Court Judge Michael Pastor, after hearing both witnesses.
Pastor was more concerned about the argument that Tohme's testimony would be irrelevant to the Murray case.
Paul Takakjian, Tohme's lawyer, said the defense was "tossing out a fishing line" without any knowledge that Tohme knew anything that would help their case.
Murray's lawyers argued that Tohme is a critical witness for their defense strategy to prove that Jackson gave himself the fatal dose of anesthesia that led to his death on June 25, 2009.
Tohme had "intimate knowledge of his finances, drug use, his habits" in his final months, defense lawyer Nareg Gourjian said.
Jackson's "financial difficulties at the time is clearly relevant to our assertion that Mr. Jackson self-administered himself with propofol," Gourjian said.
While the defense argument "seems to be a lot of speculation," Pastor said he would let the subpoena of Tohme stand since he was Jackson's business manager at the time of his death. He indicated he would later consider whether to limit the subjects on which Tohme can be questioned.
The defense indicated it wanted to question Tohme about the pressure placed on Jackson in his final months to prepare for the 50 shows he was to perform in London for AEG Live starting that July.
"He (Tohme) negotiated the AEG deal and other witnesses say Mr. Jackson was very angry about this," Gourjian said.
Tohme will not cooperate with the defense by giving them an interview ahead of his testimony, he said.
The court will consider a similar motion next week by Dr. Arnold Klein.
The defense contends the Beverly Hills dermatologist gave Jackson drugs that Dr. Murray did not know about in the weeks before his death.
The Los Angeles County coroner ruled Jackson's cause of death was "acute propofol intoxication," in combination with "the contributory affects of the benzodiazepines."
The court will hold a third day of jury selection next week to build up a pool of "hardship qualified" potential jurors -- those whose families, finances and jobs could withstand a two month trial. The final jury selection process is set for May 4, with opening statements set for May 9.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

pepper

Re: tohme Tohme ordered to testify
March 28, 2011, 08:40:47 PM

Jul 6 2009 2:16 PM EDT
Michael Jackson Adviser Dr. Tohme Tohme Breaks Silence
'I was the closest person to Michael Jackson,' says mysterious financier, who helped save Neverland from foreclosure.

By Gil Kaufman

As befit his unique lifestyle, a number of strange characters moved in and out of Michael Jackson's orbit over the years. None, however, was more elusive and mysterious than a gentleman by the name of Dr. Tohme Tohme, who served as the late singer's adviser and confidant in the final years of his life.

Over the weekend, Tohme, a native of Lebanon who claims to have helped Jackson rescue Neverland Valley Ranch from foreclosure last year, broke his silence about the death of his friend for the first time and spoke to The Associated Press, describing his relationship with the late singer and how he briefly entered the star's orbit.

Tohme, described by the news service as "a financier with a murky past," said he was contacted last year by Jackson's brother Jermaine, who asked if Tohme could help rescue Neverland from falling into foreclosure. The pair traveled to Las Vegas, where Jackson was living at the time, and Tohme said they instantly bonded. For the next year, Tohme would server as Jackson's final business manager and spokesperson.

"For the last year and a half, I was the closest person to Michael Jackson," said Tohme, who added that he was inspired to help because he saw that Jackson was a "wonderful human being" and a fine father to his three children. Tohme said he helped negotiate a deal with his close friend, the chairman of Colony Capital, who was hesitant to get involved until he was persuaded to go visit Jackson in person. Impressed by Jackson's "intelligence and focus," Colony agreed to buy the mortgage on the home and keep it out of foreclosure.

That deal brought Tohme, believed to be in his late 50s, and Jackson, 50, together in a partnership that included the contract for what was scheduled to be Jackson's triumphant return to the top of his game: a 50-show run at the O2 arena in London that was to begin next Monday.

He said Jackson was excited about the concerts because they would be a chance for his three young children to see him perform.

Though he's often described as being mysterious, Tohme — his double name is not uncommon in the Middle East — said he hates being referred to that way. "I'm a private man," he said, reportedly ignoring a barrage of cell phone calls during the interview, though taking one from the Reverend Jesse Jackson. "A lot of people like the media, and I don't. I respect the privacy of other people, but lately nobody respects mine."

Tohme would not reveal any information about his life or career other than to confirm that he is a U.S. citizen, a "self-made man" who works in the world of finance and was raised in Los Angeles. MTV News was unable to contact Dr. Tohme for comment for this story.

Denying he is affiliated with the Nation of Islam, Tohme said he actually fired some representatives of the religious sect who had taken over handling affairs for Jackson, who was raised as a Jehovah's Witness. The AP report described him as being on the verge of tears several times while discussing Jackson's death and said he was breaking his silence now because it is what Jackson wanted.

"He always said to me, 'I want people to really know who I am after I'm gone,
' " Tohme said, noting that he dropped everything else he was doing and took no salary while working with Jackson and that he helped to begin turning Jackson's finances around after years of poor management.

Among the deals he said he negotiated were ones for a "Thriller" Broadway show — the subject of a lawsuit from the director of the song's iconic video, John Landis — as well as one for an animated series based on "Thriller," a clothing line that was to include "moonwalk shoes" and other deals. He also said he was working to renegotiate the terms of some of Jackson's main assets, including the singer's share of the very lucrative Sony-ATV Music Publishing Catalog — which includes music by the Beatles, Lady Gaga and the Jonas Brothers — against which Jackson had taken out massive loans to support his expensive lifestyle.

One of the first things Tohme, an avowed music business neophyte, said he did when he took over was to fire many members of Jackson's staff, including security guards, in order to build a fence around the singer and protect him from nameless others who wanted to control the pop star's finances. He also claimed to have twice fired, on Jackson's orders, the longtime nanny of the singers' children, Grace Rawaramba.

Though he apparently uses the title "Dr." and has a medical degree, there is no record of Tohme practicing medicine in the U.S. He said he thought the singer was in perfect health the last time he saw Jackson, two days before his death, and that as far as he could tell, Jackson didn't use drugs and kept himself on a strict, healthy diet that included no red meat or alcohol.

It does not appear that Jackson will be buried at Neverland, but Tohme claimed that in the singer's final months, the two talked about the star's wish to create a special place "10 times bigger than Graceland" — referring to Elvis Presley's home/memorial — where fans could come to view Jackson's memorabilia and awards.

In case the top link doesn't work...

An article like this supports the "Tohme had "intimate knowledge of his finances, drug use, his habits" in his final months" theory of the defense, except for the "drug use" part.  

This quote from the article "he (Thome) dropped everything else he was doing and took no salary while working with Jackson" makes me think of this that Ed Chernoff said about Dr. Murray in July, 2009 "I worry greatly about Dr. Murray because it's going to be a long trial, incredibly expensive, expert costs are going to eat it up. Real justice is only obtained if you have the money to really do what is necessary. My big concern is that Dr. Murray or any private citizen wouldn't have the money." Chernoff says Murray "doesn't have a pot to piss in," and Chernoff doesn't even know if he will get paid for his legal services. For the three lawyers at Stradley, Chernoff & Alford, their new client has been all-consuming. Notes Chernoff, "It has taken up a lot of our time and a lot of energy and thought process..."
[/u] Source: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 28, 2011, 09:18:00 PM
I think Murray might be wrong about him being good for the defense.  The prosecution, on the other hand, might benefit from Tohme Tohme.  He said Michael never appeared to be on drugs which refutes to hell all that Murray is tryng to establish by calling him as a witness for his team.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

March 29, 2011, 06:42:49 AM
We've been told Tohme was a bad guy... Now we learn he is the good one.. Honestly, I don't know what to believe!  :shock:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Please, click "I Like It" on my Facebook page if you like my drawings :) You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login<br>

March 29, 2011, 11:10:43 AM
What i really want to know is where Thome was on June 25th 2011.

We know he turned up at the hospital..  but where was he prior to that? Was he at the house???  I want to know that, and hopefully this will be answered at the trial.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions