Ammun HorusTopic starter

Hello everybody! I would like to devote this first post to a quite sensitive matter concerning charities. This is whether charities actually help people or not.

The first part of the answer to this question has to do with the intentions of people who participate in charities. It is for sure that many people care for humanity and try to heal some of its wounds, believing that charities can serve this purpose. Thus, they raise funds or they are even active organizers of campaigns, in order to help those in need. On the other hand we have rich people, millionaires or even billionaires, religious or not organizations and governments as well, that donate great amounts of money to charities. Some of them, although I am personally not aware of one, should be doing this due to their good will. But, most of them do not. It is hard to believe, for example, that those who become rich, such as many businessmen, due to their exploiting of workers and others, care about people in need. This is easily proved by some examples of charities: Many businessmen donate to educational foundations in order to make research for their own business and profit, such as Bill Gates, many governments send humanitarian ambassadors to countries in order to have a control in local economy such as the U.S. in Haiti, many religious organizations have their emissaries to help people in need, but they exchange their help with converting the ones they help to their religion, such as the Christian Orthodox church in Thailand. So, before supporting a charity, we should definitely be aware of every possible detail about it.

The second part of the answer to the initial question, has to do with the actual solution to the problems that people helped by charities face. It is the core of this post, I would say. So, a charity’s supposed aim is to help those in need. Practically speaking, it is true that when we send clothes in children from the third world for example, we help them survive. But, when our aim is to help, this actually means that we will always need to have someone in need. We accept the existence of the problem and we just try to limit its results, but not the problem itself. Every three seconds a child in Africa dies from starvation and every five seconds an adult, while at the same time twelve tones of food are thrown away only in Europe. Instead of accepting our own failure as a society, our own greed, and fight against ourselves and our governments for being responsible of the concentration of the global wealth in the hands of the few, we concentrate in charities. To make things worse, people in need become dependent of the help they are provided with, because they do not stand on their own to face their problems.

If every family around the world could satisfy its needs, children wouldn’t be working and wouldn’t be abused. If women were able to work and earn money, they wouldn’t be abused by their husbands. If health companies were not allowed to profit, people wouldn’t die because they could not afford to pay. And so forth…

I used to participate in charities, but I finally reached the conclusion that I should look at the man in the mirror and fight against injustice in my own government. I would be most pleased to read your views about this subject.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
The universe is nothing but a positively charged void.

Hello and Welcome Ammun Horus!

You certainly jumped right in with a passion!  Good for you!  I can totally understand frustrations with charity.  I do believe there are good, reputable charities in the world.  However, it's difficult to find through all the muck out there.  It's compiled by news reports of charities that have abused their positions in the world.  The world is a huge and mighty place.  If I was a millionaire, I wouldn't be for long.  I would try very hard to make sure others in need benefitted.  If that would mean taking the money directly to them...buying them a house, sending them through school, giving food....whatever...I'd do it hands on.  The only thing I have to give, is me right now...I volunteer when I can...mostly through our church and other community opportunities.  My schedule is full most days so I am limited, but I do what I can.  If believe if more people only did that, it would make a difference.  I have seen mission groups build schools, houses, etc.  These are things that directly impact impoverished nations.  I know there are other non-church groups that do these things as well.  The big multi-charity groups are what bother me the most.  I don't know how my $10/month can feed 100 children type of thing....or close to it.  The goal in charity for me is to help get people to be independent and stand on their own.....like you said, people become dependent.  That's a danger to any charitable heart.  Dependency on charity is never a good situation.  Whether it's an inner-city charity or a 3rd world country...the goal should be to bring about strong, independent people.  Unfortunately, for many places in the world, violence and fear plays a part.  This angers me to no end.  I cry at the thought of people hurting because of drug dealer egos, military force, gang violence etc. These things happen all across the globe. However, charity starts in the communities that surround our daily life.  I truly believe if communities came together as a whole, the world would be brighter.  For example, I teach art to little kids.  Once a year I collect and donate crayons for the local children's hospital.  I know my time and effort directly impacts the kids there.  Many people are afraid to ask for charity....pride takes over.  From the out of work auto worker, to the poorest village in Africa.....charity needs to happen.  The days of turning the other way are over.....the internet has brought about visions many had never seen before.  As the world grows in population, the needs of many will be met.  It's only when hearts open and giving begins, true change will come.  Like I said, for me giving comes in the form of time right now.  I totally understand your thoughts on charity and government frustrations.  I will never understand why things are the way they are......
I don't believe this helped you any, lol......however, I do wish you well!
Blessings Always!

PS> I am sure you have seen the list of Michael's charitable contributions, but here it is:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Ammun HorusTopic starter

Thank you for the welcome!

At first, I would like to tell you that knowing that there are people around the globe who care about the others and prove this in their everyday life gives hope. And your post is very hopeful... :)

On the one side, I totally agree with you that it is what we offer with our own devotion. Where I live, there are people who have established their own independent to the government and other organisations communities and voluntarily offer to the society. Everybody offers what they can. Teachers teach their subjects to students, lawyers help sensitive groups such as the immigrants to solve their issues and not get exploited by the government, people who know about music, painting, martial arts, foreighn languages, theatre and so on, offer their own knowledge. Many times, they even organise nights when everybody who wants cooks something and people gather altogether to eat, chat, play music. This way people who can offer their cooking they do so, people who beed food they have it and they all enjoy the fellowship of each other.  bearhug

On the other side, although I respect the choice to help through the church, I do not trust them. But mainly, I do not trust people who inervene between those who offer to help people in need, for the reasons I stated above. So, for example, we all know that Iraq is occupated by the U.S. army and not only. Many immigrants, come to Europe in terrible condition and struggling to survive through not only the war but though their journey, where despite the terrible conditions they are even left to die by governments. It is tragic how many of them have drowned in the seas, because they were left there helpless. I would prefer in that case to start a campaign against my country supporting the U.S. army with troops.

Thank you for your post. It is not only interesting, but also beautiful to share experience with people who try to make this world a better place. :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "Ammun Horus"
On the one side, I totally agree with you that it is what we offer with our own devotion. Where I live, there are people who have established their own independent to the government and other organisations communities and voluntarily offer to the society. Everybody offers what they can. Teachers teach their subjects to students, lawyers help sensitive groups such as the immigrants to solve their issues and not get exploited by the government, people who know about music, painting, martial arts, foreighn languages, theatre and so on, offer their own knowledge. Many times, they even organise nights when everybody who wants cooks something and people gather altogether to eat, chat, play music. This way people who can offer their cooking they do so, people who beed food they have it and they all enjoy the fellowship of each other.

I couldn't stop smiling when i was reading it  :D It's so beautiful when people help each other, aw it warms my heart!  bearhug

Thank you and wishingstar for sharing your thoughts and sharing your beautiful stories of how you are trying to help people!
My experience in charity is not that great. The only thing i do is i give away clothes and toys for people who in need, that's all i can do for now, but one day i'm sure that i will help many many other people who need my help! But i will tell you a great story of how U.S government is actually helping afghan children in Kabul, Afghanistan.
I was living in Kabul for almost 3 years with my family (my step father is still there) and me and one of my sisters went to International School of Kabul (ISK)  which is completely supported by U.S government and donations. Well i think that this is the best school in the world, there were around 200 students (now even more) and we were all like a family there! Kids from all different countries got a chance to meet and become friends. Our teachers are all from America, amazing people, i love them dearly! Afghan children were studying for FREE, but children from other countries had too pay a fee but it was very fair fee. So all the kids who finished that school are now studying in universities all over the world (US, England, France, Australia etc) So the kids who had hardly any chances of having a good life or even be educated are now studying in Universities! This is what i call help, a great help for kids to build their future! Plus this school is doing all sorts of charity activities! I wish i could go back in time, it was the best time of my life!  :D
Here is a picture of me (3rd from the right) and my friends during PE class (Can't believe that it was 5 years ago)
[attachment=1:3nffv231]n608408466_1121610_1466.jpg[/attachment:3nffv231]

And here are children during Music class :)
[attachment=0:3nffv231]5571734548_8b557ecbf4.jpg[/attachment:3nffv231]

You can see some more pictures of children performing "Beauty and the Best" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Much L.O.V.E to you all!!! bearhug
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"What one wishes is to be touched by truth and to be able to interpret that truth so that one may use what one is feeling and experiencing, be it despair or joy, in a way that will add meaning to one\'s life and will hopefully touch others as well.
This is art in its highest form. Those moments of enlightenment are what i continue to live for." -Michael Jackson

Ammun Horus I agree with most of your analysis.

We should address the cause and not merely treat the symptoms.

"It starts with us" says a very famous person...... ;)      

Each one of us should become more alert and aware of things that are happening in our world or are covered up in various hypocritical disguises. That doesn't mean that we all should become experts in every area, we can't all possibly become politicians, scientists, priests or activists at the same time.  
It's these little things in our day to day life that can lead to a worldwide change for the better. Start with yourself, then continue with your own kids, neighbors and so on.
That also reminds me of a former post of mine, it fits quite well and I would like to repost it in your thread if you don't mind:

....we should try to remember these virtues and what they stand for.

The 4 worldly virtues: justice, bravery, wisdom and moderation
and the 3 theological virtues: faith, love and hope

I don't want to preach to anybody, because I'm certainly not better that others, we all make mistakes and we will continue to do so in future, because we are only human. But if we would incorporate just a tiny little bit of what these virtues stand for into our lives, then this world would be a better place.....

4 + 3 = 7 

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
 “Truth is beautiful, without doubt; but so are lies.”
 Ralph Waldo Emerson

Quote from: "Kristina4LOVE"
On the one side, I totally agree with you that it is what we offer with our own devotion. Where I live, there are people who have established their own independent to the government and other organisations communities and voluntarily offer to the society. Everybody offers what they can. Teachers teach their subjects to students, lawyers help sensitive groups such as the immigrants to solve their issues and not get exploited by the government, people who know about music, painting, martial arts, foreighn languages, theatre and so on, offer their own knowledge. Many times, they even organise nights when everybody who wants cooks something and people gather altogether to eat, chat, play music. This way people who can offer their cooking they do so, people who beed food they have it and they all enjoy the fellowship of each other.

I couldn't stop smiling when i was reading it  :D It's so beautiful when people help each other, aw it warms my heart!  bearhug

Thank you and wishingstar for sharing your thoughts and sharing your beautiful stories of how you are trying to help people!
My experience in charity is not that great. The only thing i do is i give away clothes and toys for people who in need, that's all i can do for now, but one day i'm sure that i will help many many other people who need my help! But i will tell you a great story of how U.S government is actually helping afghan children in Kabul, Afghanistan.
I was living in Kabul for almost 3 years with my family (my step father is still there) and me and one of my sisters went to International School of Kabul (ISK)  which is completely supported by U.S government and donations. Well i think that this is the best school in the world, there were around 200 students (now even more) and we were all like a family there! Kids from all different countries got a chance to meet and become friends. Our teachers are all from America, amazing people, i love them dearly! Afghan children were studying for FREE, but children from other countries had too pay a fee but it was very fair fee. So all the kids who finished that school are now studying in universities all over the world (US, England, France, Australia etc) So the kids who had hardly any chances of having a good life or even be educated are now studying in Universities! This is what i call help, a great help for kids to build their future! Plus this school is doing all sorts of charity activities! I wish i could go back in time, it was the best time of my life!  :D
Here is a picture of me (3rd from the right) and my friends during PE class (Can't believe that it was 5 years ago)
[attachment=1:13idxm5p]n608408466_1121610_1466.jpg[/attachment:13idxm5p]

And here are children during Music class :)
[attachment=0:13idxm5p]5571734548_8b557ecbf4.jpg[/attachment:13idxm5p]

You can see some more pictures of children performing "Beauty and the Best" You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Much L.O.V.E to you all!!! bearhug

Kristina - I loved your story. Thank you for sharing it with us. I know that the USA has it's faults but we also do a lot of good. Blessings.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

Ammun HorusTopic starter

I sensed a bit of dissapointment for my words about the U.S. :?:

But, I want to be clear about that: I did not mean to blame people coming from this country, but mainly its government. All of us are of course responsible for our governments' acts, but not equally to those who hold positions of political and economical power. It does not have to do with a personal vendetta aganst the U.S., since I personally do not know a nation or a country innocent, around the globe. The fact that the U.S. is to be held responsible for much distraction and injustice in the world, does not hide the same responsiblities of other countries' and it is only by chance, because they are capable of those things. If Germany or France or whichever country were able to conquer Iraq they would have been the first to do so, for various economical and political reasons.

As for the school in Khabul, it is for sure that it helped families and children to organise and make better their lives after the war. But, and this is just a personal view, it is a bit naive to believe that all those kind of charities and donations from the U.S. are done on a good purpose. First, this country was attacked in the name of terrorism. Endless people killed, families destroyed, infrastructure and facilities destroyed and economic devastation and suffering, suffering, suffering. Then, most of the natural sources were and still are exploited mainly by American businessmen, who profit from a land which belongs only to its people. And then charities... I can only see this as a gesture of lying: "We devastated you, we killed you, we steal from you your wealth and all this because we love you. Do not oppose to us, we only care for you". Even if a tiny part of those people re-establishes its life, can the money given to help them be compared to the profit from petroleum corporations for instance? And when they study at universities, then they work for whom?

I apologise for being so fierce, but I've met people from there and I need to share what I know and what I feel. I am equally fierce to my own government, so do not take it personally. :)  People around the world should stand united. bearhug

L.O.V.E.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

As for the school in Khabul, it is for sure that it helped families and children to organise and make better their lives after the war. But, and this is just a personal view, it is a bit naive to believe that all those kind of charities and donations from the U.S. are done on a good purpose. First, this country was attacked in the name of terrorism. Endless people killed, families destroyed, infrastructure and facilities destroyed and economic devastation and suffering, suffering, suffering. Then, most of the natural sources were and still are exploited mainly by American businessmen, who profit from a land which belongs only to its people. And then charities... I can only see this as a gesture of lying: "We devastated you, we killed you, we steal from you your wealth and all this because we love you. Do not oppose to us, we only care for you". Even if a tiny part of those people re-establishes its life, can the money given to help them be compared to the profit from petroleum corporations for instance? And when they study at universities, then they work for whom?

L.O.V.E.

You are very right about that. The story about my school, was only an example of a charity activity which i witnessed with my own eyes. I also very much believe that Talibans were created by somebody (not going to point my finger here), well not created but pushed to do what they do now. The word Taliban itself in Afghanistan stands for a man who is VERY MUCH religious and who follows everything that Mullah or Quran says. Here is a problem: 90% of Afghanistan population is uneducated or very low educated (people literally live up on the mountains with no TV,radio, they don't even have water or electricity) and because of that they can't really follow what Quran says, simply because they can't read or they can't understand what it says. One man told me once that he read Quran 3 times but he didn't understand it, because it's in arabic (the spoken language in Afghanistan is Farsi, Dari and Pashtu(the most common) and they all have almost the same letters with Arabic, that's why they can read Arabic but they won't understand the meaning). So for them it's easier to go to the Mosque and listen to whatever Mullah has to say, and they will trust him no matter what, because that's what they were taught since the day they were born. They know almost nothing about outside world and i mean nothing. I had a guard there (yes i had guards  :oops:, because it was just too dangerous without them) and he asked me once what kind of meat do we eat (by "we" he meant white Christian people) i said 'well the regular meat, just like you guys here' and he said 'REALLY? I always thought that you eat a dead animal (animal who was not killed, but died by itself) meat(!'. I was absolutely shocked by his response, i couldn't even understand where that came from. But then he told me that's what his parents used to tell him. So for so called "Mullahs" (not all of them of course, there are also great and honest Mullahs) it's pretty easy to get whatever they want into people's heads, way too easy! So that's why i gave an example of my School, because i think that it's a great step for Afghan children to have a bright future! But of course children who got to that school are very lucky to have open minded parents, because in most cases afghan girls are not even allowed to go to school by their own parents. It's a very sad picture i've seen in Kabul, but it taught me a lot of things and i'm very thankful for that chance that God gave me!
   I did not want to say all the ugly things i've seen the U.S military did/still doing there. And it's not only U.S army, Afghanistan is occupied by numerous armies: England, France, Italy, Russia, Turkey and so on. And these countries not only destroy Afghan people, but also their own soldiers. The fact that i herd from one Afghan General is that British army has to change over 1000 soldiers every year in Afghanistan, because they become a drug addicts. And we are not even talking here about how many of them die.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"What one wishes is to be touched by truth and to be able to interpret that truth so that one may use what one is feeling and experiencing, be it despair or joy, in a way that will add meaning to one\'s life and will hopefully touch others as well.
This is art in its highest form. Those moments of enlightenment are what i continue to live for." -Michael Jackson

Ammun HorusTopic starter

@ Kristina4LOVE

Thank you a lot for sharing this information.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Sarahli

Thank you Ammun Horus for your thoughts...I believe the same. It seems to me like that charities have become multinational companies...and in order for them to exist they need people suffering....like jails need prisoners....everything has become a business. I don't doubt there are still good charities but it doesn't solve the problem to its core......they just make people become dependant on them....looks like a form of control in the end. Charities and all governmental associations should give people the tools to be independant and not perpetuate the situation we are on. Interesting subject.  :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are here for you Michael and will always love you whatever happens.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

Just a few words about The Red Cross in Belgium.
And if it is the same for other countries please stop giving them money.
The Red Cross receives money from the people and gouvernment.
But here in Belgium all that money is spend on , Managers, Top Managers and mr.director general Philippe Vandekerckhove.
Driving around in expensive cars like BMW, the president has his own chauffeur and when his chauffeur is not available he is driving around in a Taxi letting the driver wait in front of the Red Cross building until his meetings are over.
And volunteers give their spare time and get no lunch or transportation paid.

If someone knows to much from the inside or is making troubles, they get fired with a bonus of
€ 350.000 (be sure that it is correct...i have inside information).

The Red cross recieves donations from people like houses, money, cars etc.
They don't use these houses but leave them just empty.
Instead the Red Cross rents or buy expensive offices and for the managers the office rooms and restrooms are decorated with no other designer then Mr Philippe Stark.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Seems they have enough money to spend.
It is not about charity anymore...it's about how do I fill my pocket as quick as possible.
Chappie
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mind

wow  all of my fellow hoaxer your post have made me proud to know what wise and wonderful folks i have been hangin' out with here since our advneture began. makes me cry happy tears. ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal