2good2btrueTopic starter

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • FORGIVENESS IS THE KEY TO YOUR HAPPINESS
Internet growth may be associated with spread of painkiller abuse[attachment=0:3pswbwvv]painkiller.jpg[/attachment:3pswbwvv]

For every 10% increase in Internet use, admission to treatment facilities grew by roughly 1% for narcotics, sedative hypnotics and stimulants, a new study says. (Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times)

By Marissa Cevallos, HealthKey / For the Booster Shots blog

May 13, 2011, 9:02 a.m.
Add painkiller abuse to the list of vices for which the Web can potentially be blamed. A new study finds that admission to treatment facilities for prescription drugs has grown in step, roughly, with the spread of high-speed Internet. The association raises the possibility, the authors say, of whether the growth in online pharmacies is driving drug abuse.

Researchers from Massachusetts General Hospital and the University of Southern California culled data from states on the use of high-speed Internet and admission to substance-abuse facilities for drugs such as narcotic painkillers, stimulants, anxiolytics, and sedative-hypnotics (drugs that a government study showed were easily available online) between 2000 and 2007.

While admission for alcohol, heroin and cocaine grew minimally or declined in those seven years, the researchers calculated that for every 10% increase in Internet use, admission to treatment facilities grew by roughly 1% for narcotics, sedative hypnotics and stimulants. The results were published online Thursday in Health Affairs.

The authors are quick to point out the limitations of their study, stressing that the research doesn't prove online pharmacies are to blame for the increase in admissions to treatment facilities. They write in the discussion of the paper:

"Our work is hypothesis generating: It raises the possibility that the observed growth in U.S. prescription drug abuse may partially stem from wider Internet availability through online pharmacies that sell prescription drugs illegally."

Other factors, such as variations in state laws to shut down online pharmacies and changes in data-collection at treatment facilities, could be skewing the results.

Still, they write:

"Based on our findings, recent efforts by the Food and Drug Administration to shut down illegitimate pharmacies not only seem warranted but may also lead to substantial reductions in prescription drug abuse."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bec

They're blaming the INTERNET instead of the pharmacies???

What planet am I living on?  confused/  errrr  crash/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

2good2btrueTopic starter

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
Quote from: "bec"
They're blaming the INTERNET instead of the pharmacies???

What planet am I living on?  confused/  errrr  crash/

I think they are trying to shut down all the illegal pharmacies that are selling the drugs on-line...

I have seen how easy it is...it lets you talk to a doctor first, and then this "Dr" allows the drug of your choice to be avaliable to you....

It was about 7 yrs ago, that I had a prescription drug abuse problem....I tried to by bulk valium on line, a packet of 100... and was sucessful...  I live in Australia, and the pharmacy was in America.  

Fortunately, customs in Australia stopped the parcel from getting to me....and I was notified that it illegal transaction..I had to pay a fine, or fight it in court if I wanted my "Bag of Goodies".  I didn't take it further, and the tablets were destroyed at customs.  I was fortunate enough to get a refund though, from the seller...

So thats how easy it is, especially if you live in America...God bless
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bec

No, the title and the opening paragraph clearly point the finger of blame at "the internet".

Internet growth may be associated with spread of painkiller abuse

For every 10% increase in Internet use, admission to treatment facilities grew by roughly 1% for narcotics, sedative hypnotics and stimulants, a new study says.(Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times)

Add painkiller abuse to the list of vices for which the Web can potentially be blamed. A new study finds that admission to treatment facilities for prescription drugs has grown in step, roughly, with the spread of high-speed Internet.

The article and the study it is based on is blaming the internet. How retarded. Where's the fall over dead smiley?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

2good2btrueTopic starter

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
Quote from: "bec"
No, the title and the opening paragraph clearly point the finger of blame at "the internet".

Internet growth may be associated with spread of painkiller abuse

For every 10% increase in Internet use, admission to treatment facilities grew by roughly 1% for narcotics, sedative hypnotics and stimulants, a new study says.(Lawrence K. Ho / Los Angeles Times)

Add painkiller abuse to the list of vices for which the Web can potentially be blamed. A new study finds that admission to treatment facilities for prescription drugs has grown in step, roughly, with the spread of high-speed Internet.

The article and the study it is based on is blaming the internet. How retarded. Where's the fall over dead smiley?

Will this one do...???? lolol/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

suspicious mind

seems to be the pattern. don't deal with the real problem just use it to take away a little more freedom. afraid/  suspicious//
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal