mac5kTopic starter

Remember David Gest, Michael Jackson’s bff and Liza Minnelli‘s one time husband, he of the Shirley Temple shrine in his home and the waxed eyebrows? Well, he’s back. Gest has made a documentary about Jackson called “The Real Michael Jackson.” He screened it recently in Los Angeles for a select group that included Smokey Robinson, Angie Dickinson, and Katherine Jackson and her son, Tito. The source I spoke to says the documentary is pretty good mainly because it includes lots of rare footage of Michael and the Jacksons. How Gest got the rights to the footage, I don’t know. He does have plans to release the doc in the UK. Here’s the copy from the invite he sent out, I’ve reprinted it with typos:
PLEASE JOIN ME FOR A PRIVATE SCREENING OF MY FIRST FILM ‘THE REAL MICHAEL JACKSON’ ON THURSDAY, MAY 26, 2011  PM AT 8:00 PM AT THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK THEATRE ON THE UNIVERSAL STUDIOS LOT. YOUR NAME WILL BE LEFT AT THE GATE AND THEIR WILL BE PARKING. I HAVE ENCLOSED DIRECTIONS AND IF YOU HAVE ANY QUESTIONS ON THE PARKING OR DIRECTIONS CALL MS. xxxxxxx AT UNIVERSAL STUDIOS ON (818) 777-xxxx
I AM VERY PLEASED TO ANNOUNCE THAT UNIVERSAL PICTURES UK HAS ALREADY PURCHASED THE WORLD DVD RIGHTS AND MR MARK REYNOLDS OF BBC WORLWIDE MEDIA CENTRE (THE TOP DISTRIBUTOR IN THE WORLD) HAVE SIGNED FOR EXCLUSIVE DISTRIBUTION RIGHTS. THIS IS A MOST UNIQUE FILM AND ACCORDING TO LEGENDARY PRODUCER LAMONT DOZIER: ”THE REAL MICHAEL JACKSON’ IS MORE THAN JUST A DOCUMENTARY, IT IS AN EPIC TELEVISION FILM AND QUITE POSSIBLY THE MOST REMARKABLE DOCUMENTARY I HAVE EVER SEEN!’
A DRINKS & HORS D’OEUVRES RECEPTION WILL FOLLOW THE SCREENING AT A LOCATION NEAR THE STUDIO (LOCATION TO BE ANNOUNCED). PLEASE JOIN ME FOR THE SCREENING & RECEPTION BY RSVP TO MY E-MAIL. I LOOK FORWARD TO SEEING YOU ON THURSDAY, MAY 26, 2011 AT 8:00 PM AT THE ALFRED HITCHCOCK THEATRE AT UNIVERSAL STUDIOS. THE FILM IS 90 MINUTES.
BEST REGARDS,
DAVID GEST
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mac5kTopic starter

David Gest Reveals The Real Michael Jackson
Submitted by Pip Ellwood on Tue, 05/18/2010 - 21:35

David Gest has vowed to show the world “Michael Jackson as he’s never been seen before” in a groundbreaking new feature-length four-hour popumentary, The Real Michael Jackson, which will be distributed globally from 14 June 2010 by Alfred Haber Distribution Inc. As a best friend of Jackson’s from childhood, television star Gest has had unprecedented access to the ‘King of Pop’s’ family members, closest allies and co-workers – many of whom have gone on record to talk about Jackson’s life for the very first time.

In what promises to be the most definitive televisual portrait of the star ever created, Gest has pieced together the most important facts about Jackson’s life based on brand new first-hand accounts he has recently filmed with the people whom knew the star best and those Michael loved, trusted and respected the most. But this is no fluff piece. From Jackson’s idiosyncrasies and addictions, the story unravels in a most unique and fascinating way.

As well as celebrating Jackson’s many achievements as the biggest selling artist of all-time, The Real Michael Jackson will finally put to rest some of the speculation surrounding the darker side of the star’s life. This includes exclusive interviews with family, friends and associates who speak out on many of the accusations, falsehoods and lies about Jackson and how they affected him.

Michael’s eldest sister Rebbie Jackson recounts the star’s childhood growing up in Gary, Indiana, as well as his difficulties with father Joe and his extraordinary bond with mother Katherine. Rebbie also talks about Michael’s decline in later years due to pill addiction. Gest’s other best friend, Michael’s brother Tito, gives an in-depth look into Jackson’s history. The viewers will also witness an emotional side to Tito never before seen on camera. Also, for the first time, family matriarch Katherine gives a personal moment of reflection on the legacy of her son.

In addition to these interviews with Jackson’s family members, The Real Michael Jackson includes exclusive interviews with: Smokey Robinson, Whitney Houston, Dionne Warwick, Frank Cascio (Michael Jackson’s assistant and long-time friend), the songwriting team of Brian Holland-Lamont Dozier-Eddie Holland, Petula Clark, Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson, Percy Sledge, Jimmy Ruffin, Dennis Edwards of The Temptations, Siedah Garrett (who had a number one hit worldwide with Michael entitled ‘I Just Can’t Stop Loving You’ and also co-wrote Man In The Mirror), Mickey Rooney, Mark Lester, the songwriting team of Kenny Gamble and Leon Huff (who were responsible for The Jacksons first hits after leaving Motown including Enjoy Yourself and Show You The Way To Go) and Billy Paul. This is just the beginning of the amazing cast that Gest has specially assembled for this popumentary.

Gest took care of Michael Jackson through a number of Jackson’s plastic surgeries and the special delves into the details of Jackson’s obsession with his appearance, desire to follow in the footsteps of Smokey Robinson and Berry Gordy as businessmen, his first sexual experience with a well known older woman at a young age, the terror he went through when his hair caught on fire whilst filming a commercial for Pepsi, the tragedies that followed in later life including Michael’s dependencies on pills as well as his disgust with the rumour mill. The special also looks into his relationships with Debbie Rowe and Lisa Marie Presley.

Jackson and his brother Tito were Gest’s best men at his 2002 wedding to actress Liza Minnelli. David Gest and Michael Jackson began their friendship in 1969 and more than thirty years later the two formed a successful business venture, World Events LLC, where Gest produced and Jackson starred in the highest rated music television special in history Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Celebration on the CBS Network. It was seen in more than 100 countries throughout the world. Gest produced this historic last live concert of Jackson at Madison Square Garden in 2001 which also featured the last reunion of Michael and his brothers, the Jackson 5.

The Real Michael Jackson begins in front of the Jackson Family house where Michael grew up and David Gest spent his childhood years with his best friend. Michael’s brother Tito joins Gest as the two take the viewers on a rare and exclusive tour of the Jackson grounds as they reminisce about Michael.

According to David Gest, “I have tried to show Michael in a truly unique light. I have spent the past three months travelling the world interviewing people who were most important in his life. I believe this popumentary will entertain and educate in equal measures about who the real Michael Jackson was. I hope this will serve as a lasting testament to the compassion and love that he had for all mankind. He was a very complex individual and this special reveals the many different facets of his personality.”

Also Included in the show is a rare never-before-seen interview between Michael and David Gest at the Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Celebration, The Solo Years which shows Michael Jackson as the real man he was, speaking in his deep voice, laughing as well as playing jokes on David.

According to Tito Jackson, “David had one of those rare friendships with Michael where Michael could always be himself. As teenagers and into their twenties they were inseparable and were always getting into trouble and playing jokes on everyone. David was the other brother by another mother to Michael and I! He was never afraid to stand up to Michael and tell him the truth, whether he wanted to hear it or not.”

THIS IS REALLY IT!…THE REAL MICHAEL JACKSON IS THE TELEVISION SPECIAL EVERYONE HAS BEEN WAITING FOR!!!

The Real Michael Jackson is produced by David Gest and directed by Andrew Eastel for David Gest Productions, Inc.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I did some research on it and it looks like it has been in the works since 2009 but here is what I found on another MJ message board.

The Real Michael Jackson - DVD by David Gest

The Real Michael Jackson
DVD/Bluray

Release: October 31 2011

Producer & television star David Gest presents a feature length, definitive portrait of his best friend Michael Jackson through the eyes of family, friends and music legends including Smokey Robinson, Dionne Warwick, Whitney Houston, Nick Ashford & Valerie Simpson, Holland-Dozier-Holland, Gamble & Huff, Freda Payne, The Temptations' Dennis Edwards, Martha Reeves, Paul Anka, Petula Clark, Jimmy Ruffin, Percy Sledge, Brenda Holloway, Kim Weston, Bobby Taylor, Russell Thompkins, Jr., plus many more.

Includes never before seen footage and unprecedented interviews with Michael's Mum Katherine and siblings Tito and Rebbie Jackson covering all the highs and also the lows in the King of Pop's extraordinary life story uniquely told by those who knew him best.

Plus, fantastic music from The Jackson 5 and other Motown Legends.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

However, I cannot find any official website for this movie which I find odd so I won't believe it until I see it.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Awareness + Awakening = Higher Consciousness

David Gest was talking about this since 2009 - is he finally releasing it now?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Always the Angel on My Shoulder

MJonmind

Also Included in the show is a rare never-before-seen interview between Michael and David Gest at the Michael Jackson: 30th Anniversary Celebration, The Solo Years which shows Michael Jackson as the real man he was, speaking in his deep voice, laughing as well as playing jokes on David.
This is about all I'm excited or interested to see, anything with real MJ in it. 5 or 10 hours wouldn't be too long. Don't they know this is all people really want, that's why TII was so huge.  Interviews with others is only for clues and who knows if what they say is true. We've already heard just about everything.
According to Tito Jackson, “David had one of those rare friendships with Michael where Michael could always be himself. As teenagers and into their twenties they were inseparable and were always getting into trouble and playing jokes on everyone. David was the other brother by another mother to Michael and I! He was never afraid to stand up to Michael and tell him the truth, whether he wanted to hear it or not.”
Makes me think of the MJ quote on the cover of TII. Would David Gest have anything to do with TII?
Re: This Is It CD - What it says on the back of the CD cover
On the back of the This is It cd ,it says album produced by Michael Jackson and John McClain.The album is dedicated to MJ's three children.The statement..." always great to sing with my brother" had to be from one person otherwise it would have been written always great to sing with "our" if the Jackson brothers said it together.Janet also sang with MJ but I don't think she was on this cd. You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login  
looking4truth
However, I cannot find any official website for this movie which I find odd so I won't believe it until I see it.
I agree. Everything seems on hold right now sadly.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

gwynned

Interesting film, but is this also a typo?

David Gest has vowed to show the world “Michael Jackson as he’s never been seen before” in a groundbreaking new feature-length four-hour popumentary, The Real Michael Jackson, which will be distributed globally from 14 June 2010

Or have we gone back in time?  Makes me wonder if it even exists.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

robd

Could this be the final big push to clear MJ's name before he returns?

According to Play.com the DVD of this comes out in the UK on 31st October 2011.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

robd

Just realised ... 31st October 2011 ... 311011 ... 3+1+1+0+1+1 = 7!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions