use_your_illusionTopic starter

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • If you're reading this...you owe me a dollar
By the way this article is written by Rabbi Shmuley
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I saw what tabloid life did to Michael Jackson. Now it's happening to Britain
Britain has traded credibility for celebrity. As Michael Jackson's rabbi, I saw how dangerous the pull of fame could be

Ten years ago I tried to extract Michael Jackson from the hell of a tabloid life. Nothing hurt him more than being referred to as Wacko Jacko, something he told me originated in the British tabloids. And it is worth mentioning, now that we have commemorated the second anniversary of his death, that the mountain of pills he regularly swallowed and which eventually killed him was an effort, more than anything else, to muzzle the pain of being treated as a joke.

Michael believed he had a serious message to share, that children were special and innocent and the world had a responsibility to prioritise them and preserve their goodness. But he also understood that with the two boys alleging that he had acted indecently, though he was never convicted, his credibility had been irreversibly shattered. He was therefore doomed to a life of empty celebrity incarceration when, in truth, he so badly wished to dedicate his renown to a cause larger than himself. This lesson – that fame is nice, but credibility is everything – has strong resonance for modern Britain, a country I arrived in at the age of 22, where I spent 11 years of my life, and where six of my nine children were born.

While living in Britain and serving as rabbi to the students of Oxford University, I slowly noticed a change taking place. I still remember the day in 1994 the Oxford Union – once the most celebrated debating society on Earth – invited Kermit the Frog to be one of its speakers. This was before Britain became synonymous with the origin of reality TV. It was before stories about John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Ashley Cole, and Ryan Giggs trumped the reporting on Britain's laudable efforts in Libya. When I lived in the UK, serious newspapers were not yet published as tabloids and a strict line separated thoughtful journalism from scandal saturation.

That seems to have changed. I used to sit in awe as I watched young Oxford students and British politicians at the union eviscerate each other with a command of language that had little parallel in anything I had witnessed in the United States. It inspired me to speak and write better. But I was, sadly, not all that surprised when I asked a recent Oxford graduate who was the most memorable speaker he has heard at Oxford over the last few years and he responded: "Martin Sheen."

Yes, we Americans have trash TV and our own celebrity scandals. We have politicians who self-destruct and supermarket tabloids that assure us Elvis is still alive and married to Princess Diana. But that world still seems cordoned off – for the most part – from the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Harvard and Yale. The UK, however, has allowed some of its leading institutions to go tabloid and obsess over sensationalism.

Britain was once the most serious, highly educated and influential nation. It gave the world Magna Carta and parliamentary democracy, William Shakespeare and Sir Isaac Newton. It freed its slaves decades before America and led the charge in saving the world from Hitler. Now it has traded in seriousness and credibility for out-of-control celebrity. Having at times in my life made the mistake of prizing recognition over gravitas, I'm not here to judge. Lord knows, I served as Michael Jackson's rabbi and revolved, at times, in celebrity society; I experienced how good it felt to feel famous. But seeing what the tabloid life did to Michael, I now run from it like the plague.
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Do you give up yet?

suspicious mind

Quote from: "use_your_illusion"

Britain has traded credibility for celebrity.[highlight=#bf80bf:3vbjdlgt]As Michael Jackson's rabbi[/highlight:3vbjdlgt], I saw how dangerous the pull of fame could be

Ten years ago I tried to extract Michael Jackson from the hell of a tabloid life. Nothing hurt him more than being referred to as Wacko Jacko, something he told me originated in the British tabloids. And it is worth mentioning, now that we have commemorated the second anniversary of his death, that the mountain of pills he regularly swallowed and which eventually killed him was an effort, more than anything else, to muzzle the pain of being treated as a joke.

Michael believed he had a serious message to share, that children were special and innocent and the world had a responsibility to prioritise them and preserve their goodness. But he also understood that with the two boys alleging that he had acted indecently, though he was never convicted, his credibility had been irreversibly shattered. He was therefore doomed to a life of empty celebrity incarceration when, in truth, he so badly wished to dedicate his renown to a cause larger than himself. This lesson – that fame is nice, but credibility is everything – has strong resonance for modern Britain, a country I arrived in at the age of 22, where I spent 11 years of my life, and where six of my nine children were born.

While living in Britain and serving as rabbi to the students of Oxford University, I slowly noticed a change taking place. I still remember the day in 1994 the Oxford Union – once the most celebrated debating society on Earth – invited Kermit the Frog to be one of its speakers. This was before Britain became synonymous with the origin of reality TV. It was before stories about John Terry, Wayne Rooney, Ashley Cole, and Ryan Giggs trumped the reporting on Britain's laudable efforts in Libya. When I lived in the UK, serious newspapers were not yet published as tabloids and a strict line separated thoughtful journalism from scandal saturation.

That seems to have changed. I used to sit in awe as I watched young Oxford students and British politicians at the union eviscerate each other with a command of language that had little parallel in anything I had witnessed in the United States. It inspired me to speak and write better. But I was, sadly, not all that surprised when I asked a recent Oxford graduate who was the most memorable speaker he has heard at Oxford over the last few years and he responded: "Martin Sheen."

Yes, we Americans have trash TV and our own celebrity scandals. We have politicians who self-destruct and supermarket tabloids that assure us Elvis is still alive and married to Princess Diana. But that world still seems cordoned off – for the most part – from the New York Times, the Wall Street Journal, Harvard and Yale. The UK, however, has allowed some of its leading institutions to go tabloid and obsess over sensationalism.

Britain was once the most serious, highly educated and influential nation. It gave the world Magna Carta and parliamentary democracy, William Shakespeare and Sir Isaac Newton. It freed its slaves decades before America and led the charge in saving the world from Hitler. Now it has traded in seriousness and credibility for out-of-control celebrity. Having at times in my life made the mistake of prizing recognition over gravitas, I'm not here to judge. Lord knows,[highlight=#ff0040:3vbjdlgt]I served as Michael Jackson's rabbi[/highlight:3vbjdlgt]and revolved, at times, in celebrity society; I experienced how good it felt to feel famous. But seeing what the tabloid life did to Michael, I now run from it like the plague.
two times he states this. wouldn't he have to have converted for that to be the case?
by the way where are the spots on the fingers in this picture that you see on michaels hand at the 02? the ones that almost look like someone has put their hand on an inkpad.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

all4loveandbelieve

Quote from: "suspicious mind"

Britain has traded credibility for celebrity.[highlight=#bf80bf:oklkuykg]As Michael Jackson's rabbi[/highlight:oklkuykg], I saw how dangerous the pull of fame could be

Britain was once the most serious, highly educated and influential nation. It gave the world Magna Carta and parliamentary democracy, William Shakespeare and Sir Isaac Newton. It freed its slaves decades before America and led the charge in saving the world from Hitler. Now it has traded in seriousness and credibility for out-of-control celebrity. Having at times in my life made the mistake of prizing recognition over gravitas, I'm not here to judge. Lord knows,[highlight=#ff0040:oklkuykg]I served as Michael Jackson's rabbi[/highlight:oklkuykg]and revolved, at times, in celebrity society; I experienced how good it felt to feel famous. But seeing what the tabloid life did to Michael, I now run from it like the plague.
two times he states this. wouldn't he have to have converted for that to be the case?
by the way where are the spots on the fingers in this picture that you see on michaels hand at the 02? the ones that almost look like someone has put their hand on an inkpad.

Again, the O2 Mj was in impersonator. Look at MJ hands in this picture these are his real hands. The fingers curl upwards. O2 was not the real Michael. I know most of the  people here in this forum all believe it was Michael but it wasn't.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I'm happy to be alive, I'm happy to be who I am.
Michael Jackson

suspicious mind

Quote from: "all4loveandbelieve"

Britain has traded credibility for celebrity.[highlight=#bf80bf:1eugfljs]As Michael Jackson's rabbi[/highlight:1eugfljs], I saw how dangerous the pull of fame could be

Britain was once the most serious, highly educated and influential nation. It gave the world Magna Carta and parliamentary democracy, William Shakespeare and Sir Isaac Newton. It freed its slaves decades before America and led the charge in saving the world from Hitler. Now it has traded in seriousness and credibility for out-of-control celebrity. Having at times in my life made the mistake of prizing recognition over gravitas, I'm not here to judge. Lord knows,[highlight=#ff0040:1eugfljs]I served as Michael Jackson's rabbi[/highlight:1eugfljs]and revolved, at times, in celebrity society; I experienced how good it felt to feel famous. But seeing what the tabloid life did to Michael, I now run from it like the plague.

Again, the O2 Mj was in impersonator. Look at MJ hands in this picture these are his real hands. The fingers curl upwards. O2 was not the real Michael. I know most of the  people here in this forum all believe it was Michael but it wasn't.

all i know for myself is the smudge place on the 02 guys hand has always had me wondering, beerchug
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I am sending you out like sheep among wolves. Therefore be shrewd as serpents and as innocent as doves."  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Why not just tell people I'm an alien from Mars? Tell them I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight. They'll believe anything you say, because you're a reporter. But if I, Michael Jackson, were to say, "I'm an alien from Mars and I eat live chickens and do a voodoo dance at midnight," people would say, "Oh, man, that Michael Jackson is nuts. He's cracked up. You can't believe a single word that comes out of his mouth."

all4loveandbelieve

Quote from: "all4loveandbelieve"

Britain has traded credibility for celebrity.[highlight=#bf80bf:38jx1juz]As Michael Jackson's rabbi[/highlight:38jx1juz], I saw how dangerous the pull of fame could be

Britain was once the most serious, highly educated and influential nation. It gave the world Magna Carta and parliamentary democracy, William Shakespeare and Sir Isaac Newton. It freed its slaves decades before America and led the charge in saving the world from Hitler. Now it has traded in seriousness and credibility for out-of-control celebrity. Having at times in my life made the mistake of prizing recognition over gravitas, I'm not here to judge. Lord knows,[highlight=#ff0040:38jx1juz]I served as Michael Jackson's rabbi[/highlight:38jx1juz]and revolved, at times, in celebrity society; I experienced how good it felt to feel famous. But seeing what the tabloid life did to Michael, I now run from it like the plague.

all i know for myself is the smudge place on the 02 guys hand has always had me wondering, beerchug

Exactly, he acted so differently from Michael, his voice did not sound like Michael's nothing was the same. So one day we will find out the truth. beerchug
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I'm happy to be alive, I'm happy to be who I am.
Michael Jackson

suspicious mind

God i hope so!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

This Rabbi was outcast from synogogues in the UK.

He himself has profited off "tabloid sensationalism" when he wrote the MJ tapes book which was serialised in a tabloid here.

He doesnt live in the UK and no-one knows of him outside of MJ fandom.

If he wants to continue to slag the UK off, then i say bring on the fight!   Otherwise, he would be wise to stay in the USA and keep his big mouth shut.

Who does he think he is?  He is a vile man...  him and Uri Gellar did enough damage and this rabbi is still mouthing off and using his MJ connection to get attention!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Always the Angel on My Shoulder

everlastinglove_MJ

This one stood out to me:

in truth, he so badly wished to dedicate his renown to a cause larger than himself.

what makes me think
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

Did Shmuley finally come to terms?

No matter what ... his conclusions are right.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
[size=150]L.O.V.E.  Aintnosunshine[/size]

blankie

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • It's all for L.O.V.E.
No matter where he  is...... the important thing is that he is well and be happy... bearhug
MIchael knows that we are here for him and expect him...with all our hearts.... bearhug

[fade:hjou38gr]LOVE YOU MICHAEL !!!![/fade:hjou38gr][/size]

typing/  

moonwalk_/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions