~Souza~Topic starter

The new forum, please read.
July 25, 2011, 02:27:36 PM

For those who have no clue why the forum has changed, I will explain it again. The old board had issues with the installation. I even re-installed it a few times and no luck. The admin panel was not always available to me, and the mods had issues deleting, moving or locking posts. The forum was also very slow lately and it could take 8 seconds or longer to load a page, where this one loads it in 0.1 seconds. It annoyed me and other members, so it was time for a new software program. This board, powered by smf (simple machines forum) seemed reliable, fast and best of all: I was able to copy all the posts and users via a simple conversion program. This board works perfectly for me, and is fast. Modifications can be automatically installed, without me having to edit the codes, which takes a lot of time. Below the changes/explainations of new features. I will add more later on. If you have any questions, please reply in this thread, because I will lock the previous one to keep it all clear for everyone. I hope we will all get used to the new board, but I have no doubt that we will. Because it's so speedy, I will be able to add more features that will make this board very user-friendly.

Layout

As you all have seen, I have set the forum to a new layout. This is actually the default layout of smf2.0, which I altered a little for now, so that we have the orange back and a logo. The logo is just a temp one, I made one quickly, but as I have too little time at hand, I will open another thread to ask the photoshop experts and other creative people to design one, and have the members pick the best one later on in a poll. That way I can focus on the technical part. I think the forum layout like this is the most clear and easy to navigate, so I will not change it anymore. So this will be it, with the exception of the banner on top. If the forum is still blue for you, simply press F5 or empty your cache.

Email addresses

The issue with the email addresses shown is fixed as well with this layout, which means guests can't see your email address anymore. If you don't want your email address to be shown to the other users you have to change that yourself; go to profile -> Account settings and uncheck the box 'Allow users to email me'. I have tried to set that as default, but it seems that it's not possible, so if you want it hidden, change it yourself.

View new posts

View new posts is different from the old board. Because this is a different software program, I simply can't duplicate the old board. If you want to view new posts, Click on the link next to your avatar (or under 'Hello [username] if you don't have one) that says 'Show unread posts since last visit.'.

You will get a list of active topics and next to the thread title, there is a button 'new'. If you click that button, you will be redirected to the first unread post in that thread.

Calendar

A new option in this forum is the calendar, which I think is very useful. You will find it at the bottom of the index page (click the icon) or in the menu on top. You can post a new event (such as hearings in the Murray case) and you have the option to link the event to a post. It will ask you where you want to post it, and after confirmation, you will get a screen for a new topic. So let's say that TMZ posts an article that announces a new date for a hearing, post it as a calendar event: Go to calender -> post event -> check 'Link event to post' -> post in 'TMZ Articles' and click 'post'. You will now get the screen where you can post the topic with the article.

You can also link an exsisting topic to the calendar. On the bottom of the thread you will find a button 'Link to calendar'. You will get a screen with the original post and all you have to do is give the event a title and set the date(s). That way people that watch the calender, can click the event and they will be redirected to the post that has the information in it.

Smilies

As you can see, I have already added two of the old smilies to make sure I could. I will add the rest later on, since I have to add them manually.

PM's

As I explained before, the pm's might not have been transferred as they should. If you don't have your old pm's in your inbox, you can check them at the old board. I will enable the board later on, lock it and post a link to it, for those who want to read those old posts.

The default settings for the viewing of pm's is kinda strange, so to be able to have your recent ones on top, I advise you to change the settings in your profile as follows:

Profile -> Modify profile -> Personal Messaging and set it like the example below:

This way you will get the most recent pm on top which is much clearer.

Mobile Phones

I have installed a theme for mobile phones. First of all, it looks better than the one on the old board, and secondly: you don't have to change the theme yourself. If you go to the forum from your mobile phone, the board automatically will set the theme to mobile for you.

Font size

Some said that the font size of the forum is too small. I added a module that allows you to zoom it. On top of the board, in the right corner on the orange background, you will see a + and a -. Click + to zoom, and - to zoom out again.

Signatures/images not showing

If your signature is not showing, it is because the conversion screwed up the url. In mine for example, it deleted the : between http and //. If your signature does not show, check the url and change it to the complete url. Sometimes the url is complete and simply re-confirming will do the trick.

Videos not showing

I installed the bbcode for youtube videos, so you are able to post videos again. The posts from the old board though, are not showing. Same problem as the signature settings, the link of the bbcode was changed, and in some cases (most recent ones) it simply has a wrong bbcode because I installed the advanced bbcodes on the old board. If there are members who are willing to help out and fix those codes, please let me know. If you bump into a post like that, simply report it and I will fix it.

Forum in different language

Another extra feature on this board is that you can set the language of the board (not the posts) to your own. It was also possible on the phpbb board, but in a way it didn't work very well and it was not easy to install. Could have been a bug in the installation. Now it is very easy for me to install them, so if your language is not in the list as explained below, let me know in this thread and I will add it for you. To change the language go to: Profile -> Account settings and you will find a drop-down list with the currently available languages. I think this is of use for members that are not very familiar with the English language and have problems adjusting to the new forum.

Your Profile

Please look at your profile settings before posting any problems that might be solved within your own settings. If it's not all clear, simply ask me, or use the link on top that says 'Help'.

More features

I will be checking for other extra features and will add and explain them in this thread, so if you want to stay up-to-date, simply click the button 'notify' on top of this thread, or if you reply to this thread, expand 'attachments and other options' and check 'Notify me of replies' if you don't have that as default setting in your profile and you will receive an email notification on new posts in this topic.
Last Edit: November 03, 2011, 07:02:20 PM by ~Souza~
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Re: The new forum, please read.
July 25, 2011, 03:38:38 PM
Hura,hura,finally thank you very much Souza,now I will stay.Wonderful,this is the word I have for the new FACE  :).Thank you very much for your hard work so that we can be happy and go on with the investigation.God bless us all  8).

LOVE
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Sarahli

July 25, 2011, 03:57:57 PM
Thank you Souza for all your hard work!  :)  I'm happy you stay with us applehead!  ;D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
We are here for you Michael and will always love you whatever happens.
'Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind.'
"You shall not accept any information, unless you verify it for yourself. I have given you the hearing, the eyesight, and the brain, and you are responsible for using them."

July 25, 2011, 04:02:27 PM
Thanks Souza!!  :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

July 25, 2011, 04:06:35 PM
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Thank you Souza for all your hard work!  :)  I'm happy you stay with us applehead!  ;D

Sarahli I love you sister,thank you for your LOVE  :-*
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

July 25, 2011, 04:18:49 PM
This looks great.  Thank for all that you do to keep this place going for us.   :D  I wouldn’t know what to do with myself if I couldn’t come here at least once a day.  It’s familiar.  It’ feels like home.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

bec

July 25, 2011, 04:30:53 PM
Great summary Souza, thanks.

Any idea why I can only view the forum properly on a proxy?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

~Souza~Topic starter

July 25, 2011, 04:32:58 PM

I have no clue. You seem to be the only one with this problem, which seems to be a caching problem. You should see if you have a computer geek nearby who can help you out with it. Did you delete cache/cookies/press F5 again? Go through all of that again, it might work.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

bec

July 25, 2011, 04:42:27 PM

I have no clue. You seem to be the only one with this problem, which seems to be a caching problem. You should see if you have a computer geek nearby who can help you out with it. Did you delete cache/cookies/press F5 again? Go through all of that again, it might work.

Well you know I do, lol, but I can't burn all my favors.

Tried all that just now and I can see 3 posts with an empty cache, wooo! Nope, back on proxy. Whateves. Minor nuisance. I'm still happy.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

~Souza~Topic starter

July 25, 2011, 04:54:50 PM

Tried all that just now and I can see 3 posts with an empty cache, wooo! Nope, back on proxy. Whateves. Minor nuisance. I'm still happy.

That proves that it is a cache problem of your browser. Can you install Safari?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Dancer

July 25, 2011, 05:00:41 PM
Thank you for your hard work, Souza! (And thank you for solving the problems I had with the logging in!)  :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Akon on MJ, May 2009]The way he thinks....some artists think regional, some think national, I was thinking international. He thinks planets. It\'s on another level...[/size][/color]

bec

July 25, 2011, 05:02:43 PM

That proves that it is a cache problem of your browser. Can you install Safari?
It's installed but it's poopy. On proxy it works fine on Firefox. If I had a cache problem wouldn't I stall have the same problem on a proxy in the same browser? I don't know, I'm just trying to use logic. I know normal logic does not apply to PCs hahahaha. Ugh.

Don't worry about me, I'm all good, I'm just forever be mysteriously incognitoooooo lol. If I can't load at all you'll hear from me. Trust me. Lol.

bec<--------happy
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Are you entertained?

~Souza~Topic starter

July 25, 2011, 05:09:50 PM
Another thing: If you are a member of the Army of Love, you should set that as defaul group yourself in your profile field. I can't set that as default. Go to Profile -> modify profile -> group membership.

Also, if you want your time settings different from the default forum time (which is UTC), also go to your profile -> modify profile -> look and layout. You can auto detect at Time Offset, but you can also manually change it. For example: California is UTC -7, so in that case you type in -7 and save.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Andrea

July 25, 2011, 05:17:50 PM
I think this new forum looks great, I would go so far as to say I love it! LOL.

Thank you Souza.  :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Andrea

July 25, 2011, 05:22:02 PM
Another thing: If you are a member of the Army of Love, you should set that as defaul group yourself in your profile field. I can't set that as default. Go to Profile -> modify profile -> group membership.

I'm not sure why but I didn't have to do anything to keep my Army of Love membership, my name just became red this afternoon - not complaining though!  I'm happy about that!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions