all4loveandbelieveTopic starter

Wednesday 10th August 2011

Remember the reports earlier this year that Michael Jackson was to will his ownership the Beatles Publishing Catalog back to Paul McCartney? Will McCartney now get his songs back?

Today, Paul McCartney’s homepage simply says…

“It’s so sad and shocking. I feel privileged to have hung out and worked with Michael. He was a massively talented boy man with a gentle soul. His music will be remembered forever and my memories of our time together will be happy ones. I send my deepest sympathy to his mother and the whole family and to his countless fans all around the world.”
Very diplomatic of Sir Paul considering how his one-time friend and musical collaborator later stabbed
him in his Back-in-the-USSR. McCartney often told the story of how he gave Jackson some older-brotherly advice telling the gloved-one he should invest in something he loves like Music Publishing. McCartney was certain his friend and collaborator was joking when Jackson said, “One day I’m going to buy your songs Paul”.

Only Jackson wasn’t joking. In 1985, Michael Jackson outbid Paul McCartney and paid 47.5 Million for the Beatles Publishing Catalog.

But now, the Beatles Publishing future is uncertain after Jackson’s death.

Last January, The U.K.’s Daily Mirror reported that a Jackson insider had stated, “Michael told his lawyers he was sad he no longer talks to Sir Paul and said he wanted to make things right.” Is it possible Jackson foresaw his early death later the same year and wanted to correct his earlier wrong doing?

But who really owns the catalog now? Was Jackson able to hold onto his investment despite his recent financial downfall? Jackson sold 50% to Sony but held onto the other half of the publishing catalog.

However, according to a 2002 lawsuit filed by a creditor, Michael later used his music shares to secure a 270 Million Dollar loan. By 2005, The Wall Street Journal reported Jackson racked up 500 Million in debt.

It is possible the shares in Beatle’s publishing will go to some creditor. Or, perhaps back to his onetime friend and mentor Paul McCartney. Keep those fingers crossed.

McCartney and Jackson’s collaboration started after Paul wrote “Girlfriend” from his London Town album with Jackson in mind. Jackson’s producer Quincy Jones suggested to Michael that he record the song for his first album “Off the Wall”. Jackson didn’t use the song, but thought of Paul for his next album “Thriller”.

So, McCartney and Jackson worked together in 1982 on Jackson’s “This Girl is Mine” for the Thriller album. Then they worked together again in 1983, this time for McCartney’s “Say Say Say” from the Pipes of Peace Album.

After they had their bidding war over the Beatle’s Publishing Catalog, they reportedly never spoke again.

Even after death, Michael continues to dish up the strangest  stories.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I'm happy to be alive, I'm happy to be who I am.
Michael Jackson

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal