all4loveandbelieveTopic starter

Oprah slapped with lawsuit
August 03, 2011, 02:07:12 PM
Company sues Winfrey for trademark infringement

All Oprah Winfrey wants to do post-The Oprah Winfrey Show is focus on her brand-new network, OWN, and make it a reputable and successful channel. Too bad that she is in the midst of a trademark infringement case.

Entertainment Weekly is reporting that Simone Kelly-Brown and Own Your Power Communications filed court papers on July 28 claiming that the talk show queen has been illegally using the acronym “OYP” for her network’s slogan.

OYP Communications is seeking damages and want Winfrey and Harpo Studios to stop their “brazenly unlawful disregard for the existence and use of [OYP’s] trademark.”

The suit states: “Under such circumstances, with [Winfrey and Harpo] being much larger, spending more money, having a wider reach, and an overlapping audience with the much smaller Company, particularly with one of the most influential women in the world at the helm … [OYP has] been irreparably harmed.”

The company claims that it created the OYP acronym and it was to be used to convey the message that people should “live their best life” and that “anything you want in life is attainable.”

But, the company claims, Harpo Studios began using the acronym. In response, OYP Communications filed with the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office, to “identify Harpo [and] Oprah … as advocates for individuals to ‘live [their] best life’ through self-awareness and motivational communication, the same type as OYP services.”

When reached for comment, Harpo had this to say to EW: “Harpo has not been served and we have no information about what allegations are being made.”

Do you think OYP Communications has a case or should they just not mess with Lady O?

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

KARMA CAME BACK TO BITE HER IN THE A.S.S. BLESSINGS.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I'm happy to be alive, I'm happy to be who I am.
Michael Jackson

DrtyDian-a

Re: Oprah slapped with lawsuit
August 22, 2011, 03:02:43 PM
I am surprised no one has comented on this post. I agree: KARMA :twisted:. Seriously, I don't care how rich and powerful Oprah is, she really is not all that and she is definitely not above reproach. Michael Jackson was too nice to do this, but when Oprah interviewed him after his 14 year public hiatus, she crossed the line by asking MJ if he was a virgin on national television. He would not answer, and I cannot blame him. He was embarrassed though. I would have slapped her with some kind of suit then, on principle. Unfortunately, my brain is failing me right now... I can not think what kind of charge this would be.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You'll Never Make Me Stay/So Take Your Weight Off Of Me/I Know Your Every Move/So Won't You Just Let Me Be

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal