PureLoveTopic starter

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • To die would be an awfully big adventure.
Where did all the Michael Jackson fans go?
October 19, 2011, 04:51:50 PM
Where did all the Michael Jackson fans go?

On Thursday, 53-year-old Michael Rico stood quietly outside the Los Angeles County Courthouse. Though the weather was hot, and court had already begun, Rico calmly remained, holding a signed photo of Jackson and a sign reading, "Soldiers of Love."

"I come here every day to support Michael," said Rico, a Hollywood resident who spent years working security for Jackson. "He was not only a friend, but I'm a fan as well."

Rico comes to the courthouse each day to hold his sign and show his support. He said he feels obligated to defend the late music legend, who he said he saw the day before his death.

"I know for a fact that he got killed by Dr. Murray," Rico said. "All the medicine shows Michael was not able to overdose himself. Conrad Murray gave it to him."

At the close of last week (week three) of the Michael Jackson death trial, in which Dr. Conrad Murray is charged with involuntary manslaughter of the singer, fanfare was sparse, with fewer than 20 vying for seats in the courthouse.

More than 40 sought seats on the first day of the Murray trial, but for the late pop star, a man so often associated with fiercely loyal fans, the turnout pales in comparison to other Jackson-centered events.

Steve Moglia, a freelance audio technician, who worked with "CourtTV" (now "In Session") to cover Jackson's molestation trial, says fan turnout for the 2005 proceedings was overwhelming.

"The streets were packed," said Moglia. "They'd come and go, and you'd have the hardcore ones that were there and then those that would find out he was going to be there and fly in."

According to "In Session" senior field producer Grace Wong, who also covered the 2005 trial for "CourtTV," the number of demonstrators was in the hundreds, particularly near the beginning and end of proceedings.

"It's nothing like the attendance that was at Michael Jackson's trial," Wong said. "You had the length of two city blocks. There was an international presence I have never seen at any other trial."

She said each day when Jackson arrived to court, he was greeted with a roaring crowd of fans holding signs, playing his music and dancing. When he was ultimately acquitted of all charges of child molestation, a fan outside the courthouse released doves in celebration.

"His fans as a group felt misunderstood by society, and he was misunderstood by society," said Mark Somers an "In Session" producer who has covered Jackson since his 2005 trial. "They felt like he was in their corner. It was alright for them to fight for him. He allowed them to feel like they could be themselves in a united front under Michael Jackson."

The 2005 trial was not the only demonstration of Jackson fan loyalty. After his death, supporters gathered in masses at Jackson's home, the hospital where he died and at his star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame. Fans around the world held candlelight vigils, embraced and sang his songs.

"Clearly these are people who have in some way an emotional connection to Michael," said psychotherapist and author Beatty Cohan. "I think it [his death] was a shock. Maybe for them they needed that kind of closure to go and know and see that it was really all over."

Fans also showed up in droves for the Michael Jackson tribute concert in Wales on October 8, with a turnout of 50,000. On August 29, what would have been the star's 53rd birthday, fan observations included a multi-day celebration in Jackson's hometown of Gary, Indiana, and a flash mob in Hollywood.

"I think what Michael Jackson had with fans over others is they felt a connection with him on a superhuman level," Somers said "They felt the need to protect him even though they didn't know him."

Though fan presence at the trial has dwindled, Cohan said the lower turnout makes sense, considering the trial's somber tone and less controversial nature.

"With the molestation trial it was more of a soap opera," she said. "People were really split with whether or not he did it or whether or not he didn't do it. For people who like to come out and protest or demonstrate the molestation case was much more exciting than this."

Somers agreed, saying during the 2005 trial, fans were more driven to protest what they viewed as unjust allegations.

"They felt the right to stand up for people who are abused by people in positions of authority," Somers said of the mindsets of many Jackson fans.

Beatty adds that the mere absence of Jackson, whose arrivals at the molestation trial incited roars of applause and cheering, contributes to the smaller turnout.

"Michael is dead," she said. "Nobody is gong to see him. He isn't going to be waving to anybody."

While fans may not be present in numbers comparable to past Jackson events, turnout at the tribute concert and celebration of the singer's would-be birthday shows his supporters remain united.

"You still see it today," Wong said. "I see it at this trial. He had this incredible relationship with his fans. They felt that they knew him. They really shared a bond. The fans adored him and he could do nothing wrong."

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

trublu

Re: Where did all the Michael Jackson fans go?
October 19, 2011, 05:20:43 PM
I have to say this crossed my mind too...there don't seem to be too many fans outside the court. Maybe people aren't wanting to see Murray?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

October 19, 2011, 06:29:47 PM
I'm sure they're still hurting big time. I don't think their pain will subside until MJ returns.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

all4loveandbelieve

October 19, 2011, 06:46:11 PM
Most of the fans, live far away, like I and everyone else in this forum.. If I were in LA i would have been in that court house every day.. Unfortunetaly I live far away.  Most of the fans, are none believers, they still feel a hurt, and they know Murray did it, so they do not want to see Murray`s face. Also some work, they have a life also.. They cannot leave work to go to the court house. This is my thought, I may be wrong. I know if most of the fans would be a believer the court house would be full every day..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I'm happy to be alive, I'm happy to be who I am.
Michael Jackson

October 19, 2011, 07:23:13 PM
The majority of fans just try to move on and remember him as the great entertainer of all time.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 19, 2011, 07:52:09 PM
Thank you for sharing this article. I am so thankful to see no "W**cko..." or other name calling in this piece. The journalist is very respectful and gives Michael the dignity and respect he deserves.

Okay....

Great quote:
"His fans as a group felt misunderstood by society, and he was misunderstood by society," said Mark Somers an "In Session" producer who has covered Jackson since his 2005 trial. "They felt like he was in their corner. It was alright for them to fight for him. He allowed them to feel like they could be themselves in a united front under Michael Jackson."

"Clearly these are people who have in some way an emotional connection to Michael," said psychotherapist and author Beatty Cohan. "I think it [his death] was a shock. Maybe for them they needed that kind of closure to go and know and see that it was really all over."

....Or maybe they are sitting on their computers watching the trial thru TMZ or HLN. And they haven't found closure if you read any of the fan forums or Twitter, Youtube, Facebook, etc. Oh - for sure, there is a storm brewing out there. That is my opinion and of course it could be off base.

We won't even go into those of us that have been on this forum, some since July 2009. Closure? Nope - we are waiting for the King that the memorial said we were going to see "soon and very soon".

Michael - we may not be at the courthouse but we do have you in our thoughts and prayers every day.

Blessings :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.

"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

October 19, 2011, 08:18:44 PM
I took a vacation 2 weeks ago and went on a road trip .we stopped at the L.A. County court house for a while.There were'nt very many fans there the ones that were there were non believers they held signs in support of the Jackson family.They were being filmed by some T.V station so they handed me a sign and asked if I would join them wich I gladly did,the feeling there was more of a funeral. I probably seemed odd to everyone there because I could not hold my excitement to be there .I was very excited to be able to be part of history in the making. There were large cut out pictures of Michael and I stood next to them with the biggest smile so we started taking pictures and people were looking at me like I was crazy but I was so overjoyed to be there that I paid them no mind. I did meet another believer right before I had to leave,her name Pearl Jr.we talked for a little while she is a very nice lady and it was a pleasure to meet her.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 20, 2011, 02:06:17 AM
I live here but sold my car before i moved so its hard for me to get there after work :(
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
What most people need to learn in life is how to love people & use things instead of using people & loving things."
"Some see things as they are and ask why. Others dream things that never were and ask why not." -George Bernard Shaw

October 20, 2011, 02:17:02 AM
Well, life is sucks, depression throughout the USA and world. People work and have their own problems. Many lose jobs & get a problem to think how to survive and look for a job. I don't justify, but objectively,  overall difficult life is the reason. Despite all that, I believe that Michael's fans love him and their heart and mind is with him.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
EndlesslovetoMJ

all4loveandbelieve

October 20, 2011, 10:23:18 AM
Well, life is sucks, depression throughout the USA and world. People work and have their own problems. Many lose jobs & get a problem to think how to survive and look for a job. I don't justify, but objectively,  overall difficult life is the reason. Despite all that, I believe that Michael's fans love him and their heart and mind is with him.

very well said agree.. it does not mean fans are not there that we do not think of
Michael look at us we are all here investigating that means we think of him.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I'm happy to be alive, I'm happy to be who I am.
Michael Jackson

PureLoveTopic starter

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • To die would be an awfully big adventure.
October 20, 2011, 11:10:56 AM
The majority of fans just try to move on and remember him as the great entertainer of all time.

I agree with both of these posts. If I was living in LA, I would go to the court house to see the Jacksons and Murray but I wouldn't go there all the time as I know Michael is alive. I'm not on the Justice4Michael (HateMurray) team.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

October 20, 2011, 05:59:48 PM

I agree with both of these posts. If I was living in LA, I would go to the court house to see the Jacksons and Murray but I wouldn't go there all the time as I know Michael is alive. I'm not on the Justice4Michael (HateMurray) team.

I agree. I would love to meet all the Jackons. Especially Marlon, Katherine, and without a doubt...the lovely Janet. She's such a ridiculously sexy woman for her age! lol.  Don't care much for Joe, but I give respect where it's due. He raised an amazingly talented family.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

grossomodo

October 21, 2011, 02:44:39 PM
I took a vacation 2 weeks ago and went on a road trip .we stopped at the L.A. County court house for a while.There were'nt very many fans there the ones that were there were non believers they held signs in support of the Jackson family.They were being filmed by some T.V station so they handed me a sign and asked if I would join them wich I gladly did,the feeling there was more of a funeral. I probably seemed odd to everyone there because I could not hold my excitement to be there .I was very excited to be able to be part of history in the making. There were large cut out pictures of Michael and I stood next to them with the biggest smile so we started taking pictures and people were looking at me like I was crazy but I was so overjoyed to be there that I paid them no mind. I did meet another believer right before I had to leave,her name Pearl Jr.we talked for a little while she is a very nice lady and it was a pleasure to meet her.

So, what you're saying is that you've met Pearl Jr? THE PEARL JR????????!!!!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
OVERALL MOONWALK!

October 21, 2011, 04:27:49 PM
Some fans might live too far away, I would love to go, maybe I'd even hold up a huge sign that says "MICHAEL IS ALIVE"  lolol/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

أملي هو فيكم.

October 23, 2011, 02:48:15 PM
what is the point in being outside the court when you can watch it better on your pc,I live in UK so its impossible,but I,m glued to my pc watching the trial,and chatting,Theres nothing we can do at the courthouse when its in session,and we wouldnt know what was going on in there.maybe I would like to be there when the jury retire,and be outside when they come to their verdict.But alass I,m too far away,but my heart is there.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions