You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

11/8/2011 2:13 PM PST BY TMZ STAFF

La Toya Jackson tells TMZ she was shocked to learn about the death of her dear friend Heavy D -- especially because they just performed together last month.

"This is very shocking and a tragic loss," La Toya said ... adding, "I just performed with Heavy D at the Forever Michael tribute concert and he was a friend to Michael and a friend to me."

Heavy and La Toya rocked out to "Jam" during the October 8th show in Wales -- and Heavy seemed perfectly fine.

La Toya continued, "We have lost a great person and terrific performer, my prayers and condolences go out to his family and fans.

The celebrity tributes are pouring in -- TMZ just spoke with Chuck D ... who told us, "I am sitting here stunned and shocked about this ... I can’t believe it. [Heavy] was a hip hop god ... this is a sad tragedy to hear."

Chuck continued, "He will always be remembered and I'm thankful for him for what he's done for hip hop culture."

Martin Lawrence -- who appeared with Heavy D in "Life" -- tells TMZ, "Heavy D was a talented performer and one of the nicest and most genuine people I have ever met.  I was to happy to have known him, my prayers are with his family. God Bless him”

update_bar
Samuel L. Jackson, Nicki Minaj, Usher -- You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login for more shocked reactions.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Everybody that knew him personally had "nuttin' but love" for him.  They pretty much all said that he was the nicest person that they knew.

"Never stop believing.. Magic is just science we don't understand.. Every original idea was considered insanity at first.."

His final tweet on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login: "BE INSPIRED!"
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Suzy7

I still cant believe he died, life can be gone so quickly. I just saw him perform amazingly at the hip-hop awards not long ago so this was shocking, and he was so young.

R.I.P. Heavy D!
"Be Inspired." simple and true.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions