everlastinglove_MJTopic starter

First Listen: Michael Jackson, 'Immortal'
November 18, 2011, 04:37:10 PM

by Ann Powers

Hear 'Immortal' In Its Entirety[1 hr 16 min 46 sec] Add to Playlist
Purchase Music
close Purchase Featured Music"The Immortal Intro"Album: ImmortalArtist: Michael JacksonLabel: EPICReleased: 2011Amazon »Your purchase helps support NPR Programming. How?

Listen To Individual Tracks From The Album

November 18, 2011
Michael Jackson was a genius of unrivaled artistic grace who gave the world a story that may never be fully absorbed. Eccentric to the point of painful isolation, yet deeply loved by myriad fans of many different stripes, Jackson embodied the extremes of America's glittering, punishing popular culture. His music ranks among its highest achievements, while the details of his life and death, at age 50 in 2008, confound us.

Michael Jackson: Immortal adds another dimension to the Jackson omnibus. He's the third pop star to earn his own Cirque du Soleil production — after The Beatles and Elvis Presley — but he probably should have been the first. No contemporary pop star identified more with the flash and magic of old-time entertainment, which Cirque has so artfully brought into the age of new technologies. And none have been as open as Jackson was to the dark side of the circus arts — to the pomp and tomfoolery, the weirdness of the freak show, the god-defying hubris of the acrobats.

This soundtrack album crafts a new version of Jackson's life story through remixes of his biggest hits and a few obscurities, as well as his own stated favorite songs. The final product forms a brightly colored backdrop specifically designed to suit Cirque's candy-coated acid-trip style. Musical director Kevin Antunes, who's worked with glossy acts like Madonna and Justin Timberlake, uses touchstones from Jackson's life — his childhood as a member of his era's most famous family band, speeches he gave about his love of nature and dedication to helping needy children, the fascination with horror that produced "Thriller" — to form a sonic narrative that's both instantly familiar and sometimes jarring. It's a fitting complement to the Cirque method of dazzling its audiences while also aiming to unsettle them.

Olivier Samson Arcand
Medleys like the one devoted to Jackson 5 hits or the hit-strewn "Immortal Megamix" offer a new way into very familiar material ("Billie Jean," "ABC") without really altering the basic ingredients. Sometimes the songs break up as if someone had turned the knob on an old radio; sometimes Antunes throws a snippet of Jackson's speaking voice into his mash-ups. The effect is startling — instead of absorbing the music in the habitual way, you're forced to pay attention, as if you've just walked in on somebody else's listening experience.

It's a fun new way to take on Jackson's music — not offering a ton of new insights, but helping us hear more clearly what we thought we knew so well. Removed from the Cirque production (which is likely on its way to a city near you soon), this soundtrack becomes a kind of Zen stick — it gives your ears a slap and reminds you how fresh these great songs sounded when you first discovered them.

There are some moments of great beauty, too: the voice of the young Michael, ringing like a glass bell, in a minimalist remix of "I'll Be There," or the impeccable, iridescent "Human Nature" given a soft new introduction. Mostly, though, this is music meant to inspired Cirque's body artists and dancers. Lesser-known Jacksons songs like "This Place Hotel" and late-career highlights like "They Don't Care About Us" feature big beats: You can just see the Spandex-clad chorus line busting some smooth criminal moves.
Michael Jackson: Immortal joins a burgeoning number of posthumous releases inviting new listeners (children, for example) and old fans into this classic body of work through a new door. It's always good to go back to the music. The recent trial and conviction of Jackson's doctor, Conrad Murray, for his part in the singer's death took the world's attention away from his art again, a problem that will always plague his legacy. Jackson was our tragic object lesson, our golden boy genius, our angelic messenger and our most heartbreaking fallen star. But, above all, he was pop's magician. Like the sequined costumes he loved to wear, Jackson's music reflected in seemingly infinite directions, melding elements of jazz, soul, pop, hip-hop, rock, schmaltz, rage, raw eroticism and seraphic spirituality.

Jackson himself compared his gift to the world-creating force of nature itself. "When I create my music, I feel like an instrument of nature," he once said. "I wonder what delight nature must feel when we open our hearts and express our God-given talents. The sound of approval rolls across the universe, and the whole world abounds in magic, wonder fills our hearts, for what we've glimpsed, for an instant, the playfulness of life." Antunes samples part of that speech on Immortal. For a moment, Jackson seems to be right here with us. It's a trick, of course. Michael Jackson, that illusionist, would have loved it.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

It's a trick, of course. Michael Jackson, that illusionist, would have loved it.
8-)

I loved reading (& listening) this article and I'd like to share it with you.
I hope to see a show once.  michael-jackson/
If you've been to a show, please share, I'd love to know. It must be awesome!

With L.O.V.E.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

SpeedDemon1987

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • I'm Standin' Though You're Kickin' Me
Re: First Listen: Michael Jackson, 'Immortal'
November 18, 2011, 05:34:08 PM
Michael Jackson was a genius of unrivaled artistic grace who gave the world a story that may never be fully absorbed. Eccentric to the point of painful isolation, yet deeply loved by myriad fans of many different stripes, Jackson embodied the extremes of America's glittering, punishing popular culture. His music ranks among its highest achievements, while the details of his life and death, at age 50 in 2008, confound us.
Sorry, just had to point this out. Typo or deliberate?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"I ask for a bad guy, and they give me MICHAEL JACKSON?!?!?"

anewfan

November 18, 2011, 09:23:05 PM
I've been listening to these songs all night....they are good. "I'll Be There" gave me goosebumps.....such a beautiful song. I am going the Cirque show in Vegas in December as well as the Fanfest. I am beyond excited!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Your true character is how you act when no one is looking.

anewfan

November 18, 2011, 09:43:20 PM
On the Scary/Threatened song they keep repeating the "Hail, the king has risen" line from Monster several times in a row.

In the middle it goes from Scary into the following......

"I always feel like...somebody's watching me...."  with the sounds of cameras clicking non-stop (obviously paparazzi) then it goes onto.....

"A Nightmare....that's the case....Never Neverland...that's the place....a monster...that you can see disappear....a monster...the worst thing to hear...." (Does anyone know what this is from? I've never heard it before.)

then it goes into the "Hail, the king has risen"....

Take a listen and let me know what you think.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 19, 2011, 03:30:31 AM
"A Nightmare....that's the case....Never Neverland...that's the place....a monster...that you can see disappear....a monster...the worst thing to hear...." (Does anyone know what this is from? I've never heard it before.)

You are a new fan, aren't you  ;)
Check this out -
check all vids on channel, they are cool.

Quote from there:
"Michael Jacksons Song THREATENED contains excerpts from Rod Serling's "The Twilight Zone", an american television anthology series. Jackson refers in THREATENED to some significant Twilight Zone episodes. Significant for his past, present and future."

MJs songs nearly always have crazy amount of hidden messages and references, same with short films.
Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:35:28 AM by Aidan_81
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

marumjj

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • "Lies run sprints, but the truth runs marathons"
  • Smile, though your heart will hurt
November 19, 2011, 05:16:18 AM
Thanks everlastinglove_MJ! Cirque du Soleil no doubt has made every effort to make this show up to Michael. Listen to some songs and at first sound odd, but have an effect consistent with the show. It's a show I'd like to see. Thanks for sharing   moonwalk_/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

PureLove

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • To die would be an awfully big adventure.
November 19, 2011, 06:16:13 AM
I'm definitely buying this album. It's amazing.  bounce/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

anewfan

November 19, 2011, 10:26:33 AM

You are a new fan, aren't you  ;)
Check this out -
check all vids on channel, they are cool.

Quote from there:
"Michael Jacksons Song THREATENED contains excerpts from Rod Serling's "The Twilight Zone", an american television anthology series. Jackson refers in THREATENED to some significant Twilight Zone episodes. Significant for his past, present and future."

MJs songs nearly always have crazy amount of hidden messages and references, same with short films.

Yes...there are many songs that I haven't heard all the versions of......I've been listening to MJ Tunes and there are many that I've heard for the first time.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

anewfan

November 19, 2011, 10:35:26 AM
It's weird...I've heard Threatened before, but I guess I didn't really LISTEN to it. I had never noticed that part before. (shame on anewfan)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Playing it safe is the riskiest choice.
November 19, 2011, 11:17:14 AM
I am surprised they used Somebody's watching me suspicious// suspicious// suspicious// afraid/ afraid/ afraid/

Was it ever included on a MJ album?! I might not be well informed but I don't recall seeing it on any MJ album.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Galaxy

November 19, 2011, 12:11:04 PM
I really like this album. Thankfully there's even more to come.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Saving The Universe One A**hole At A Time.

November 19, 2011, 12:59:17 PM

by Ann Powers

Hear 'Immortal' In Its Entirety[1 hr 16 min 46 sec] Add to Playlist
Purchase Music
close Purchase Featured Music"The Immortal Intro"Album: ImmortalArtist: Michael JacksonLabel: EPICReleased: 2011Amazon »Your purchase helps support NPR Programming. How?

Listen To Individual Tracks From The Album

November 18, 2011

Michael Jackson: Immortal adds another dimension to the Jackson omnibus. He's the third pop star to earn his own Cirque du Soleil production — after The Beatles and Elvis Presley — but he probably should have been the first. No contemporary pop star identified more with the flash and magic of old-time entertainment, which Cirque has so artfully brought into the age of new technologies. And none have been as open as Jackson was to the dark side of the circus arts — to the pomp and tomfoolery, the weirdness of the freak show, the god-defying hubris of the acrobats.

This soundtrack album crafts a new version of Jackson's life story through remixes of his biggest hits and a few obscurities, as well as his own stated favorite songs. The final product forms a brightly colored backdrop specifically designed to suit Cirque's candy-coated acid-trip style. Musical director Kevin Antunes, who's worked with glossy acts like Madonna and Justin Timberlake, uses touchstones from Jackson's life — his childhood as a member of his era's most famous family band, speeches he gave about his love of nature and dedication to helping needy children, the fascination with horror that produced "Thriller" — to form a sonic narrative that's both instantly familiar and sometimes jarring. It's a fitting complement to the Cirque method of dazzling its audiences while also aiming to unsettle them.

Olivier Samson Arcand
Medleys like the one devoted to Jackson 5 hits or the hit-strewn "Immortal Megamix" offer a new way into very familiar material ("Billie Jean," "ABC") without really altering the basic ingredients. Sometimes the songs break up as if someone had turned the knob on an old radio; sometimes Antunes throws a snippet of Jackson's speaking voice into his mash-ups. The effect is startling — instead of absorbing the music in the habitual way, you're forced to pay attention, as if you've just walked in on somebody else's listening experience.

It's a fun new way to take on Jackson's music — not offering a ton of new insights, but helping us hear more clearly what we thought we knew so well. Removed from the Cirque production (which is likely on its way to a city near you soon), this soundtrack becomes a kind of Zen stick — it gives your ears a slap and reminds you how fresh these great songs sounded when you first discovered them.

There are some moments of great beauty, too: the voice of the young Michael, ringing like a glass bell, in a minimalist remix of "I'll Be There," or the impeccable, iridescent "Human Nature" given a soft new introduction. Mostly, though, this is music meant to inspired Cirque's body artists and dancers. Lesser-known Jacksons songs like "This Place Hotel" and late-career highlights like "They Don't Care About Us" feature big beats: You can just see the Spandex-clad chorus line busting some smooth criminal moves.
Michael Jackson: Immortal joins a burgeoning number of posthumous releases inviting new listeners (children, for example) and old fans into this classic body of work through a new door. It's always good to go back to the music. The recent trial and conviction of Jackson's doctor, Conrad Murray, for his part in the singer's death took the world's attention away from his art again, a problem that will always plague his legacy. Jackson was our tragic object lesson, our golden boy genius, our angelic messenger and our most heartbreaking fallen star. But, above all, he was pop's magician. Like the sequined costumes he loved to wear, Jackson's music reflected in seemingly infinite directions, melding elements of jazz, soul, pop, hip-hop, rock, schmaltz, rage, raw eroticism and seraphic spirituality.

Jackson himself compared his gift to the world-creating force of nature itself. "When I create my music, I feel like an instrument of nature," he once said. "I wonder what delight nature must feel when we open our hearts and express our God-given talents. The sound of approval rolls across the universe, and the whole world abounds in magic, wonder fills our hearts, for what we've glimpsed, for an instant, the playfulness of life." Antunes samples part of that speech on Immortal. For a moment, Jackson seems to be right here with us. It's a trick, of course. Michael Jackson, that illusionist, would have loved it.

It's a trick, of course. Michael Jackson, that illusionist, would have loved it.
8-)

I loved reading (& listening) this article and I'd like to share it with you.
I hope to see a show once.  michael-jackson/
If you've been to a show, please share, I'd love to know. It must be awesome!

With L.O.V.E.

Thank you very much for this news :) !! I listned on some snippets on youtube and the album is great  :)!!!

Michael Jackson "Immortal"-snippets (CD)
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KSSqPiLCdrA&feature=channel_video_title[/youtube]

If you have time please listen to this video,it's about how the album was made.All this people LOVES Michael so  much  :cry: OMG ,you can actually feel this from the way they speach about him .At the I'll be there song part I have to admit that I cried  :cry: ,but when I heard the chorus started singing together with They don't care about song I was so happy and felt chillis all over my body.The music ,the passion ,everything is just beautiful  penguin/ !!!!

Michael Jackson - Immortal EPK
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FasTWBc-Bg0[/youtube]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

November 19, 2011, 06:31:59 PM
I am surprised they used Somebody's watching me suspicious// suspicious// suspicious// afraid/ afraid/ afraid/
Was it ever included on a MJ album?! I might not be well informed but I don't recall seeing it on any MJ album.

Nope I guess, it's Rockwell debut song, why would it be on MJ album?
Yeah, it's unusual it was used on MJ album now  suspicious//
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MaryK

• Registered users
  • Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • The world is just illusion, trying to change you
November 19, 2011, 06:34:43 PM
Michael and Jermaine were singing the chorus in "Somebody´s watching me" ;-)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You and I were never separate

It's just an illusion

Wrought by the magical lens of Perception

MissG

November 19, 2011, 06:42:47 PM
 :-\ :P :'( :'( :'(

I´ll never get over it   :'( :'(

/overreacting/ can´t i enjoy a song without  :'(  /overreacting/  /scream/
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
("Minkin güerveeeee")
Michael pls come back

"Why a four-year-old child could understand this hoax. Run out and find me a four-year-old child. I can't make head nor tail out of it"

SimplePortal 2.3.6 © 2008-2014, SimplePortal