You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

2005 Uri Geller:  Michael Jackson’s career comeback to be “most dramatic ever seen in showbiz”June 30, 2009

In a 2005 interview published in London’s   Daily Telegraph , 1970s spoon-bending psychic / magician / alleged fraud Uri Geller spoke of his confidence that his friend Michael Jackson would soon make the greatest comeback of his career: "I’m quietly proud of my part in relaunching Michael’s career. This comeback of his is going to be the most dramatic ever seen in showbiz…. In fact, the only thing that could beat this would be for Elvis to come back from the dead."

As I wrote in my January / February 2006 "Skeptical Inquiree" column "Geller Revisited," "So stay tuned for the earth-shaking resurrection of either Elvis Presley, or Michael Jackson’s career." I hate to be churlish about anyone’s death, but it seems fair to point out that Geller’s precognitive psychic abilities are apparently as lame as his mental cutlery bending skills…

Keep going, Uri! You’ll be right one of these days! (Yes he will be right  lolol/)

Here is the Telegraph Sunday interview:

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I put Michael into a trance: it was unethical, but I had to know the truth about Jordie
By Uri Geller
12:01AM BST 19 Jun 2005
Comment
Out of catastrophe comes fresh hope. Six months ago, my friend Michael Jackson was facing disaster in every area of his life - his career was flatlining, his finances were coming apart at the seams, his reputation was smeared by a television show that he had hoped would relaunch his image. Worst of all, he was facing a court case that could destroy him utterly.

The courage he needed to withstand whatever fresh ordeals were in store was awesome. I felt deep sympathy and pity for him. Worse than this, I blamed myself. I had persuaded Michael to make the documentary with Martin Bashir that set off this appalling chain reaction. I couldn't have predicted that Michael would make such naive and damaging statements to Mr Bashir about his friendships with adolescent boys. And I couldn't believe that his legal team had not demanded complete editorial power over the documentary.

I was shocked, during the long weeks of the trial, by the savage delight displayed by the media at the destruction of an artist whose music has given joy to millions. It was not so much a court as a Roman circus, and the world's press thrilled as a fallen idol was torn limb from limb.

Still, I blamed myself. Sometimes my relentlessly positive outlook can blind me to the dangers of my decisions. For the record: in the many hours I have spent with Michael Jackson, both relaxing and chatting in private, and on show to the public, nothing in his demeanour ever made me suspect that a depraved nature lay concealed behind his face. The face is dreadfully scarred by plastic surgery, to many people's minds, but that seemed to reflect nothing more than the self-destructive tendency of American celebrity.

We met during the recording of his album Invincible, a $30 million project that had also been intended to relaunch his career. Michael pleaded with me to focus my skills as a motivator and inject energy into the final sessions. I was amazed at the invitation, and flattered.
When he confessed to me that he needed more than motivation, that he wanted to be hypnotised, I was surprised. I'd watched him in the recording studio, a commanding presence with dazzling musical inventiveness, and he seemed focused and healthy. But as everyone drifted away, his confidence seemed to collapse and I found myself talking to a man-child, an adult who spoke with the voice and the emotions of a little boy.

I agreed to place him in a hypnotic trance and to manipulate his sub-conscious, to direct his mind. It's a technique I have used many times on heavy smokers who are trying to quit. He was a remarkably suggestible subject for hypnosis. Within a few seconds he had surrendered his will and was allowing me to lead him into a relaxed state of trance. I have hypnotised many people, and it's easy to tell if they are faking. A good subject can eat a whole onion in the belief that it's a sweet apple. Michael was an excellent subject.

If I was to become this man's friend, if I was going to introduce him to my family and invite him to dine with us, there was something I had to discover, for my own peace of mind, while he was in a trance. "Michael Jackson," I said, "tell me with total honesty - what was the real story behind the allegations of sexual abuse made against you by the boy Jordie Chandler?" He answered without hesitation: "It was all made up. His family just wanted my money."

"Why did you pay the family?"

"It was the easiest thing to do." The statement was simple and unembroidered, made without sufficient pause to invent a lie. "I couldn't take it any more. I'd had enough."

"Have you ever touched a child or a young person in a way that you shouldn't?" I asked. And he replied: "Never. I would never do that. My friendships with children are all very beautiful."

Later, he told me that hypnosis had brought immediate benefits, of calmness and focus, but I am certain he did not remember the series of searching questions I raised at the end of the session. While he was still under hypnosis, I ordered him to forget I had ever asked. Maybe it was not ethical of me, but I had to know - and I believed what he told me. Sadly, it seemed as if many others did not believe his denials, despite an absence of real evidence which, I am told, would have ensured that in this country the case would have been thrown out of court.

Thank God, the jury agreed with me. As the verdicts were delivered on Monday, Michael Jackson's life turned around. His headlong plunge became a soaring flight to freedom. At the same moment, the burden of guilt on my shoulders began to lift. I'm quietly proud of my part in relaunching Michael's career. This comeback of his is going to be the most dramatic ever seen in showbiz, more seismic than Elvis Presley's return from the US Army. In fact, the only thing that could beat this would be for Elvis to come back from the dead.

The change in Michael's fortunes is literally rocking the world. Switch on your radio and turn to any music channel - they're all playing Billie Jean, Man In The Mirror, Bad, Don't Stop Till You Get Enough. Hundreds of millions of people are remembering that they love this music. America's music industry measures success in dollars, and over the next few days Michael is going to be its biggest star once more.

If he feels strong enough to perform this year, he can name any price - the moguls of Las Vegas will risk anything to outdo their rivals and stage the biggest comeback performance possible. If Elton John and Celine Dion can command fees of around $50 million for their Vegas extravaganzas, think what Michael will be able to bank. Then count up the value of the DVD of the show, the live CD, the merchandise, the television special. And that's just for starters.

If Michael commits to a world tour, he could shatter audience records on every continent. In Indonesia and Brazil, tens of millions love his music as fiercely as his fans in Europe and America. His back catalogue is equalled only by that of The Beatles (which he happens to own). We've seen the music of Queen, Abba and Rod Stewart conquer the West End… a musical starring Michael's galaxy of hits could be the biggest triumph ever seen on Broadway.

But above all, the most positive aspect of this trial has been how the Jackson family closed ranks to protect Michael. We saw how dignified Joe and Katherine, his parents, looked as they accompanied their son into the courthouse on Monday, and how solid the support was from Janet and his other sisters and brothers. My friend has often spoken of the pain he has suffered with the people he loves best, but now he will never have cause to doubt again: his family loves him. With their strength behind him, he will quickly recuperate. The trial has been a physical ordeal almost too great to bear, but it's over now, and he's still standing: full health will follow.

There's one more factor that every-one seems to be ignoring: Michael is a musical genius. His talent to create and inspire is awesome. I know he will fall back on music to heal himself. The results, I promise, will be fabulous.

My only regret is that our relationship has been tarnished by the Bashir affair. My feelings of friendship towards him are unchanged, but inevitably he regrets trusting my judgment over the documentary. I don't blame him: my greatest relief is that, though I might have read Mr Bashir's intentions wrongly, I did not misjudge Michael's character. I have received assurances that our friendship is intact, and there is no doubt in my mind that we will be able to erase the scars between us.

We were hoping to meet at the wedding of a mutual friend earlier this month: Michael was so sure that his trial would be over, and that the jury would clear his name, that he had booked a hotel in London. I know how much he loves England, and how much he values his privacy. I hope that very soon he will be staying in my home again, meditating in my glass pyramid and taking solace by the banks of the Thames.

© Uri Geller 2005

Last Edit: November 27, 2011, 10:48:29 AM by julia142
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I don't know but ''dramatic'' comeback is so much a clue from the past! What could be bigger than Elvis coming back from the dead??? Huh? Do you think that ''This is it''could have been a ''dramatic comeback'', NO!  Do you think ''This is it'' would have been bigger than Elvis coming back from the dead? NO!

But if Michael would faked his death and come back after, can it be a ''dramatic'' comeback and bigger than the supposed hoax of Elvis? YES!  elvis_/

moonwalk_/

:)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions