everlastinglove_MJTopic starter

I decided to start this thread because I recently read a heart touching story about a family who was gripped with cancer. When I was reading this story I felt so much compassion with this family and I almost could feel the despair. If I was in such a desperate situation with this worst diagnose, I would do everything in my power to save my kid's life and to find a curing treatment too.

The worst year of my life: cancer has my family in its grip
His four-year-old niece has been diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumour and her mother has breast cancer

Luke Bainbridge

The Observer, Sunday 20 November 2011
Article history

This article is the subject of a column by the readers' editor here

My four-year-old niece Billie has an inoperable brain tumour. Her mother, my sister-in-law, has breast cancer. It's just been the worst year. It's hard to describe how things have been for us all.

I'm one of three brothers and Billie is the daughter of my little brother Sam, who is 33. He and his wife Terri, 40, have a second child, Joe, aged two. Terri was diagnosed in February. And then Billie became ill in June.

While Terri was having chemotherapy, Billie began to show signs of being unwell. At first they thought it was just a reaction to her mum's illness. Then she started to get wobbly, her eyes started drooping and she had difficulty swallowing. They realised that her speech was becoming slurred and she was having problems with her balance.

Her GP referred her immediately to hospital. Initially they thought she might have had a mini-stroke. But after a scan, she was diagnosed with a tumour on her brain stem. It's called Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine Glioma (DIPG). And it's known as the worst type of brain cancer. A doctor described it as "the worst kind of tumour in the worst place".

This is an incredibly rare illness: only about 40 children are diagnosed with it every year in Britain. The cause is unknown but it is not genetic. If you look it up on the internet, all the statistics are stacked against Billie. It's an aggressive tumour and it's in the most delicate place. It's too dangerous to operate on because many of the brain's vital functions are located in the stem. So all that can be done is to try to reduce it using radiotherapy.

The prognosis is complicated. Many of the children with these tumours have a life expectancy of around a year to 18 months. Is it impossible for her to survive? No, as it turns out. Sam and Terri very quickly found out about a pioneering treatment at the Burzynski Clinic in Texas for children with DIPG. The estimated cost is £200,000. It is not available in this country, it is new and there are no guarantees. When you are faced with a decision like that, what can you do? It's like Monopoly money and when we realised we would have to raise this amount, it seemed ridiculous. Especially as there's only a slight chance that the treatment might work.

But it might save her life. So you have got to try. It was a relief to finally do something. When we realised we had to raise this money it was almost like a blessing because we felt that we could divert our energy into that. I've always worked as a music writer and editor (I was one of the founding editors of the Observer Music Monthly) so I know a lot of people from that world. It has been refreshing after so many years working with a music business which Hunter S Thompson rightly called a "cruel and shallow money trench" to find musicians so willing to help, just because they can.

We set up a gig in Manchester with Badly Drawn Boy for the end of November. I helped him put out his first single and wrote the press release for it in 1997. We are still good friends. When I told him about what was going on, he said: "Whatever you need me to do, just tell me and I'll do it."

I also happen to know Peter Kay because I used to edit Manchester's CityLife and he was its Comedian of the Year in the late 1990s. I sent him an email and he responded immediately. He offered to set up two gigs in Blackpool which take place next week. Tickets go on sale tomorrow.

Everyone we have asked has done something. The actor Antony Cotton (Sean Tully in Coronation Street and currently on I'm a Celebrity Get Me Out of Here) heard about it and got the script from Coronation Street's 50th anniversary live episode signed by the entire cast so that we could auction it. Cheryl Cole sent a signed autobiography. So did Michael Bublé. Professor Green gave us a pair of signed trainers. Gorillaz gave us some rare figurines of them by a Japanese toy manufacturer. Radiohead was maybe the most shocking: I was expecting them to send a signed box set or something. They gave us Ed O'Brien's guitar. It raised more than £9,000.

I'm amazed by what has happened. Once people find out there is a family in which the mother has breast cancer and the daughter has an inoperable brain tumour, they will do anything to help. People locally in Exeter have organised "butterfly balls" (the charity is called Billie Butterfly Fund). Two guys did a bike ride from Edinburgh to Exeter in two days.

Billie's nursery donated a full-time nursery place worth about £20,000. The guy who won it in the raffle already had a child at the nursery and said: "I don't want to take the prize, I want the nursery to bill me and the money will go direct to the fund."

One anonymous donor in the US sent $25,000. I still can't quite take that in. So far we have raised more than £170,000. With the Peter Kay gigs we are hoping to exceed the £200,000 and any money that is not spent directly on Billie's treatment will go towards research. Billie has already started the clinical trial. She went to Texas for a month, six weeks ago. She was able to come back and bring the treatment with her. She has a backpack with the treatment in it and a Hickman line going into her chest which administers this liquid every four hours. She has not been eating since she has been on the treatment so she also has to be fed through a tube – milkshakes and protein drinks.

Her health goes in waves. She started school a couple of weeks ago. She goes in for the afternoon for an hour and then just sleeps in the corner of the classroom.

Of course, she doesn't comprehend what is happening. When Terri got breast cancer, her parents told her: "Mummy has a lump and the doctors have to take it out to make her better." Now they tell her, "You have a lump too. The doctors can't take it out. But they are going to try to make it smaller." That's about as much as a four-year-old can grasp. Her brother Joe just knows that she is poorly.

In some ways the fundraising has been great because it has given us something to do. Friends and family have been amazing and have really led all that because obviously Terri and Sam have to try to have some semblance of normal family life for the children. They run a property company together and that has been a double-edged sword. On the one hand, they don't have a problem with getting time off work. On the other, they are self-employed so they are not earning while all this is going on. It's not exactly the least of their concerns because they have a mortage to pay, but when something like this happens you do what you have to do. At the moment Terri's prognosis looks a lot better. But she has only just finished her chemotherapy and radiotherapy.

I'm overwhelmed by the support that we have had and I'm thrilled Peter Kay is doing these two gigs. It's a chance for people to see him in a relatively intimate venue. The Blackpool Opera House seats 3,000 and normally he would play to 20,000.

We hope the shows are a sell-out. I'll be there. Although I'm not sure I'm really in the mood for laughing much.

Until this happened Billie was just one of those people you imagine will sail through life. The change in her from a year ago is huge. I've spent the past 15 years as a music journalist meeting all these rock stars who supposedly have "the X factor". Most of them really don't have it. Billie does.

It's hard not to resort to clichés but she is one of those little girls who is incredibly beautiful and who just lights up a room. Of course, she's my niece. So I'm biased.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The name 'Burzynki' crossed my mind instantly, because while I was watching 'Thrive The movie' a few weeks ago, I saw the part about the healthcare industry which is suppressing alternative cancer cures for economical gain and their battles against medical geniuses who invent and develop those cures. I consider Dr. Burzynski as one of those brave geniuses.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWRzikJ3iso [/youtube]

Geüpload door BurzynskiMovie op 18 jan 2011

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login - WATCH FREE: The first 36 of 108 minutes of "Burzynski - Cancer Is Serious Business" - get the DVD and find out more info at You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

ABOUT THE FILM:
Burzynski, the Movie is the story of a medical doctor and Ph.D biochemist named Dr. Stanislaw Burzynski who won the largest, and possibly the most convoluted and intriguing legal battle against the Food & Drug Administration in American history.

His victorious battles with the United States government were centered around Dr. Burzynski's belief in and commitment to his gene-targeted cancer medicines he discovered in the 1970's called Antineoplastons, which have currently completed Phase II FDA-supervised clinical trials in 2009 and could begin the final phase of testing in 2011—barring the ability to raise the required $150 million to fund them.

When Antineoplastons are approved, it will mark the first time in history a single scientist, not a pharmaceutical company, will hold the exclusive patent and distribution rights on a paradigm-shifting medical breakthrough.

Antineoplastons are responsible for curing some of the most incurable forms of terminal cancer. Various cancer survivors are presented in the film who chose his treatment instead of surgery, chemotherapy or radiation - with full disclosure of medical records to support their diagnosis and recovery - as well as FDA-supervised clinical trial data comparing Antineoplastons to other available treatments.

One form of cancer - diffuse, intrinsic, childhood brainstem glioma has never before been cured in any experimental clinical trial in the history of medicine. Antineoplastons hold the first cures in history - dozens of them.

This documentary takes the audience through the treacherous, yet victorious, 14-year journey both Dr. Burzynski and his patients have had to endure in order to obtain FDA-approved clinical trials of Antineoplastons.

Dr. Burzynski resides and practices medicine in Houston, Texas. He was able to initially produce and administer his discovery without FDA-approval from 1977-1995 because the state of Texas at this time did not require that Texas physicians be required to adhere to Federal law in this situation. This law has since been changed.

As with anything that changes current-day paradigms, Burzynski's ability to successfully treat incurable cancer with such consistency has baffled the industry. However this fact has prompted numerous investigations by the Texas Medical Board, who relentlessly took Dr. Burzynski as high as the state supreme court in their failed attempt to halt his practices.

Likewise, the Food and Drug Administration engaged in four Federal Grand Juries spanning over a decade attempting to indict Dr. Burzynski, all of which ended in no finding of fault on his behalf. Finally, Dr. Burzynski was indicted in their 5th Grand Jury in 1995, resulting in two federal trials and two sets of jurors finding him not guilty of any wrongdoing. If convicted, Dr. Burzynski would have faced a maximum of 290 years in a federal prison and $18.5 million in fines.

However, what was revealed a few years after Dr. Burzynski won his freedom, helps to paint a more coherent picture regarding the true motivation of the United States government's relentless persecution of Stanislaw Burzynski, M.D., Ph.D.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S81PXHwjMAQ [/youtube]

Texas Med. Bd. vs. Dr. Burzynski 4/11/12 - Gene-Targeted Cancer Therapy
[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCrsn8ziGWU [/youtube]

Here's some recent news about a new attack of the TMB (Texas Medical Board) on Dr. Burzynski:
January 4, 2012

Breaking News: Outrageous New Attack on Dr. Burzynski

by Alliance for Natural Health

The pioneering cancer doctor is a target once again. But you can help stop the attack.

Stanislaw Burzynski, MD, PhD, is a biochemist practicing in Texas who developed (using his own money) a nontoxic gene-targeted cancer therapy called antineoplastons. It has been shown to effectively help cure some of the most “incurable” forms of terminal cancer.

Dr. Burzynski had tried to get the FDA to review and approve antineoplastons since 1977, to no avail. To make sure he would not get into trouble for using the experimental therapy in his practice, his legal team confirmed that he was acting within the law and could use antineoplastons in his own practice “to meet the immediate needs of patients.” But in the 1980s the Texas Medical Board (TMB) charged him with breaking a law that didn’t actually exist and tried to revoke his medical license. Numerous investigations later—including an appearance before the Texas Supreme Court—found no violation of any law or standard of care. The TMB came up empty-handed.

We have reported on the TMB’s pattern of harassment against integrative doctors a number of times, discussing serious allegations from the Association of American Physicians and Surgeons, the serious attacks on Dr. Bill Rea’s work in environmental medicine and chemical sensitivity, and on Texas Governor Rick Perry’s involvement in appointing board members who actively harass integrative physicians.

As Dr. Joseph Mercola reported in June of this year, the FDA, the pharmaceutical industry, and the National Cancer Institute all knew how promising Dr. Burzynski’s therapy was proving to be. Standard cancer treatment is based on very expensive machines and very expensive toxic drugs. There is an enormous amount of money to be made in this paradigm, and Dr. Burzynski’s work single-handedly threatened to overturn much of it. On the other hand, this treatment showed such promise that they wanted to get their hands on it themselves.

So first they tried to copy his invention using a single non-patented ingredient, and when that failed, they tried to steal his patents out from under him. However, they knew they couldn’t use the stolen patents so long as he had the ability to defend his rights. So the government spent over $60 million to prosecute him on 75 counts of violating federal law, hoping to tuck him away in jail for the rest of his life.

For the next ten years, Dr. Burzynski was engaged in a lengthy and convoluted legal battle with the FDA. After two trials, he was found not guilty on all counts, and his antineoplastons medication is currently undergoing the FDA approval process. His fight was chronicled in a stunning documentary film, Burzynski: The Movie. More info on the documentary can be found at the film’s website, while the movie itself can be viewed online for a limited time.

Now the Texas Medical Board is back. The TMB is making yet another attempt to revoke Dr. Burzynski’s medical license which, if successful, would result in the closure of his clinic, the abandonment of all his patients, and would squelch any possibility of antineoplastons gaining FDA-approval.

Using the death of two of his terminally ill patients as a pretext, the TMB is charging Dr. Burzynski with the off-label use of FDA-approved drugs. It must be stressed, however, that Dr. Burzynski uses the drugs off-label in order to tailor the medication specifically to an individual’s genetic profile, rather than using a one-size-fits-all approach. Dr. Burzynski takes blood and tissue samples from his patients to form their molecular profile. From that he chooses from wide variety of existing FDA-approved drugs to tailor his gene-targeted therapy to his patient’s genetic profile specifically.

Multi-agent targeted gene therapies are the way of future. The American Society of Clinical Oncology has stated that they want to focus on “targeted therapies and personalized diagnosis and treatment” over the next decade. Dr. Burzynski is the only one who is using such a treatment on patients today.

The TMB’s complaint concerns a patient who had triple-negative breast cancer, had already undergone conventional cancer treatment without success, and initially felt better after Dr. Burzynski’s treatment and was able to return to work. The board is charging Dr. Burzynski over the side effects of his treatment, though they do not seem concerned with the horrible side effects she experienced with the conventional cancer treatments.

The complaint also concerns a patient with estensioneruoblastoma, a cancer so rare that any medication use would have been “off-label” since there is no recognized treatment for this disease at all. The patient lived for five more years and the tumor decreased in size by 40%, but the TMB complaint is charging that the disease actually progressed during his treatment.

The off-label use of FDA-approved drugs is not uncommon, and it is legal. According to the American Cancer Society, a study showed that 8 out of 10 cancer doctors surveyed had used drugs off-label. And half of the chemotherapy drugs used are for conditions not listed on the FDA-approved drug label.

Please take 20 minutes to watch this brand-new video on the upcoming court case, and share it with friends. Not only does it outline the charges involved in this case, but it also gives you a glimpse at a new side of Dr. Burzynski’s treatment. You’ll be shocked at how flimsy the TMB’s case is—and how doggedly persistent the board is in harassing Dr. Burzynski and others like him.

The Texas Medical Board v. Stanislaw Burzynski trial will begin on April 11, 2012. Please write to Gov. Rick Perry, who appointed a number of members of the TMB, including its heads, as well as the House Committee on Public Health and the Senate Committee on Health and Human Services, which oversee the TMB. This is about our right as citizens to choose our own cancer treatment—and not allow decades of important gene-targeted cancer research be flushed down the drain in the name of protecting the profits of an industry that doesn’t want Burzynski to survive. Please take action today!

Read the full article here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Sorry for this long post but I felt that these cases deserved more attention, and they don't get too much attention from the media as they deserve? Well..media isn't always so independent as you might think.. but we do know that already, don't we?

This is really not surprising considering that that media mogul Rupert Murdoch's son, James Murdoch, is a member of drug giant GlaxoSmithKline's (GSK) corporate responsibility committee (a position he entered in May 2009). His job? To review "external issues that might have the potential for serious impact upon the group's business and reputation" -- a position he's well suited for …

James Murdoch, as you may know, is the chairman and chief executive of News Corporation Europe and Asia, and chairman of BSkyB.

I can only imagine the extent to which drug makers can benefit from having a media mogul on their payroll, as well as "sponsoring" media content on health policy. Clearly they've thought this one through, and it makes perfect sense when you consider the clout they need to keep the media quiet about their various wrongdoing ...

I think it's safe to say that if strings need to be pulled, they will be pulled—hard.

Drug industry influence is not restricted to Murdoch's newspaper empire, but their ties are worth noting as they have been at the center of intense media and legal scrutiny before regarding allegedly fabricating lies against a respected British doctor, Andrew Wakefield (against whom, ironically, the British Medical Journal also launched an unjustified vicious attack).

L.O.V.E.
Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 08:53:04 AM by everlastinglove_MJ
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

Thank you, RK, for sharing and putting our attention to those important matters. It feels much more meaningfull to waste my energy on this alternative cancer cure and how it possibly can come to mankinds use than argueing about 'Who is Who' in Hoaxland - and while waiting for BAM we can do a lot of good to make the world a better place, even if it's just study and spread information to eachother. bearhug
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Playing it safe is the riskiest choice.
I've seen the documentary about this doctor and I saw people who believe in him so i don't think he's doing any harm. There really is no cure for cancer? After all the research??
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

LoveShyMichael

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • You don't have to explain something you never said
Sure there's cures for cancer. But if your BIG PHARMA ... there's NO MONEY IN CURE. The "system" is designed to keep you sick & on medication. Because anyone who has cancer will spend their whole life savings just trying to prolong their life. And if you choose modern medicine. Your going to die broke & in pain. Burzyniski has been fighting the AMA- (which I call AMERICAN MURDER ASSOCATION). because they know his facility actually heals people. I watch his videos on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Did everyone ever think if they found a cancer what would happen to all those "cancer treatment centers of America?". All those people would be out of work. The agenda is suppose to keep you sick. If cures we're put out there for the public, the sick scum bags in medical fields & running this system would not be doing their job right. Cancer has just exploded. Breast cancer, all those pretty little pink things people buy, all your doing is helping them buy more portable buses so they can go to impoverished neighborhoods (mainly black & hispanic) & tell them they are offering FREE BREAST CANCER SCREENINGS. They pumped their breasts full of radiation, for a couple years in a row...........wow............guess what???????.............they get breast cancer. What better way for a repeat customer???  THE VERY SAME THING OUR MEDICAL SCUM BAGS SAY IT WILL PREVENT..........IS THE VERY SAME DISEASE YOU WILL GET!!!! What would you pump radiation in your body for disease you would've NEVER GOTTEN ANYWAYS!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
Sure there's cures for cancer. But if your BIG PHARMA ... there's NO MONEY IN CURE. The "system" is designed to keep you sick & on medication. Because anyone who has cancer will spend their whole life savings just trying to prolong their life. And if you choose modern medicine. Your going to die broke & in pain. Burzyniski has been fighting the AMA- (which I call AMERICAN MURDER ASSOCATION). because they know his facility actually heals people. I watch his videos on You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login.  Did everyone ever think if they found a cancer what would happen to all those "cancer treatment centers of America?". All those people would be out of work. The agenda is suppose to keep you sick. If cures we're put out there for the public, the sick scum bags in medical fields & running this system would not be doing their job right. Cancer has just exploded. Breast cancer, all those pretty little pink things people buy, all your doing is helping them buy more portable buses so they can go to impoverished neighborhoods (mainly black & hispanic) & tell them they are offering FREE BREAST CANCER SCREENINGS. They pumped their breasts full of radiation, for a couple years in a row...........wow............guess what???????.............they get breast cancer. What better way for a repeat customer???  THE VERY SAME THING OUR MEDICAL SCUM BAGS SAY IT WILL PREVENT..........IS THE VERY SAME DISEASE YOU WILL GET!!!! What would you pump radiation in your body for disease you would've NEVER GOTTEN ANYWAYS!!
A friend of mine had such a free screening and they found something there that she said she had it there for many years and never bothered her...the result was they told her it was cancer and in 4-5 years after that she was dead, after having surgery, chimio and radiations :(((((.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

LoveShyMichael

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • You don't have to explain something you never said
yes, most women are also given "false positives". So they do all the pumping of radiation on a false positive to come to find out there was nothing there to start out with. I have 2 sisters who've had breast cancer. I don't have it. When I woke up to the truth of the cancer screenings I don't get them done anymore. And when  I mentioned that to my doctor, & was concerned about all the radiation getting pumped into my breasts. she responds......."yea there is alot of talk of side affects"......& agreed with me. Everyone's doctors' office has to show revenue coming in. Most in vaccine dosages, & tests being run. If they can't generate revenue, they're facility will be shut down. They get kickback for every test, every blood drawn, & how many kids they can brain damage by injecting VACCINES! full of toxins. I know because my 5 year old grandson is brain damaged by vaccines, ( fancy word for autismn) so don't think it can't happen to you. My sisters are just radiation & chemo "survivors".
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or LoginYou are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

If you read the comments, blogs, articles on the web about Burzynski's treatment you simply can't ignore the discussions, controversial opinions and scepticism. I think it is important to read all sides of the story. It is obvious that internet and social media create awareness, though confusion too..

Dr Hilary Jones Promotes Questionable Burzynski Clinic on TV

December 21, 2011
 By Le Canard Noir

Viewers told "It is pioneering research, and pioneers in medicine tend to get a rough ride to begin with."

There is a stark and inexplicable difference in how the mainstream media and bloggers have been covering the Texas based cancer clinic of Dr Stanislaw Burzynski.

There has been an explosion of blog posts since the clinic starting threatening bloggers who questioned the claims of the clinic, my own blog included.

Instead of looking at the claims of the clinic and the ethical practices involved in the long running ‘trials’, the mainstream media have been unable to tackle the issues in any other way than framed through the stories of desperately poorly children who are wanting to attend the clinic and need hundreds of thousands to get there. When framed in this way, the ‘human interest’ story will always overwhelm any concerns that people may have about this centre.

Bloggers, almost without exception, have focussed their writing on the science and ethics of the clinic – both of which have caused much concern. If patients have been involved, it has been tangential and as part of a discussion as to how Burzynski presents himself. The Observer responded to criticism of its own coverage by damning the bloggers who tackled the way in which the paper had discussed Burzynski, calling them ‘sanctimonious and aggressive’ and “having a disregard for the facts”.

It’s a topsy-turvy world.

The paper highlighted how the parents of children with cancer were distressed by much of the online coverage. Indeed this may be true. But the mainstream media is not showing that it is themselves who are putting these vulnerable people into the spotlight where indeed they may be exposed to negative coverage of their “personal choice of treatment”. Bloggers, if they want to cover the issue, are in a near impossible position.They cannot cover the serious issues about Burzynski without being made to look like thoughtless and socially inept fools who will make the families of terminally ill children suffer.

For their part, there has not been a single mainstream UK media article, programme or news item that has focussed squarely on how this clinic is almost certainly raising false hope, depriving desperate families of their life savings and misleading the world as to what it is really doing.

Even the Guardian had to frame their critical story of Burzynski through a 17 year old, who is himself seriously ill, who is having his own “struggles with injustice”.

This morning delivered a particular low point in this story.

ITV’s Daybreak programme brought on a girl with cancer, Chiane Cloete, and her father to talk about how they were raising £130,000 to send the five year old to Burzynski. Dr Hilary Jones, the programmes resident doctor, was there on the sofa to discuss the issues.

The segment started promisingly with one of the presenters saying how Burzynski was “controversial” and had been tried for fraud, and how the treatments ‘were not recognised by the US authorities.

Jones was explicitly challenged over the ‘question marks’ regarding sending someone to this clinic in the US. His response was shocking,

The treatment that Dr Burzynski is offering is very experimental. It is pioneering research, and pioneers in medicine tend to get a rough ride to begin with.

This is a simple distortion. Burzynski cannot be described as a ‘pioneer’. He has been treating people in this way for over thirty years. He is using an approach that other investigators have explored and found unsatisfactory. He is also using a ragbag of conventional chemo drugs in a haphazard way. So, whilst, ‘to begin with’ you might expect some harsh criticism. But after decades of being unable to provide decent results from your ‘experiment’ you might start to expect quite a lot more than a ‘rough ride’.

Jones is playing straight the Burzynski advertising spiel, described so well by oncologist David Gorsky, as a ‘cult of personality’ where Burzynski is a “brave maverick doctor”.

Burzynski is not a maverick. At best, he may be incompetent. Gorsky says of him,

Dr. Burzynski’s stock in trade, as far as evidence goes, is anecdotes and case series without control groups subject to major confounders and selection bias, all wrapped in a patina of science-y sounding gobbledygook designed to mimic what real oncologists and real science do. He keeps numerous clinical trials open to allow him to administer his antineoplastons but never seems to be able to progress to phase III trials or to publish his clinical trial in halfway respectable journals. Unfortunately, although Dr. Burzynski is a good mimic and very talented at portraying the “brave maverick doctor,” he’s not so good at actually doing oncology. As I have shown before, he uses the results of a commercial test that does nothing better that what a lot of other cancer centers do and produces recommendations that are facile and whose applicability to the tumor being tested ranges from the painfully obvious without the test to the highly questionable to come up with cocktails of chemotherapy and targeted therapies without regard to potential interactions. Then, of course, he throws antineoplastons–excuse me, phenylbutyrate–into the mix. The result is a gmish of up to six or seven drugs thrown together without consideration of potential drug interactions, the likelihood of which rises markedly with each new drug added to the cocktail. Worse, Dr. Burzynski tells the press and his patients that he is not giving chemotherapy when, in fact, he gives lots and lots of chemotherapy in a non-evidence-based manner, along with huge doses of antineoplastons, either given as antineoplastons many grams at a time or as phenylbutyrate, which is an HDAC inhibitor and thus chemotherapy.

Jones goes on to explain how one of his friends is currently attending the clinic and is ‘very impressed with what goes on there. And we need to keep an open mind. It’s unfortunate it costs so much money, but pioneering treatment so often does.’

This again is deeply misleading. Burzynski is charging people huge amounts of money to be included in trials. Remember, trials are the only way he is allowed to deliver his treatments. His trials have been going on for decades. No substantial results have been published. People are not normally charged to take part in trials. Indeed, in many cases, patients are paid to take part. The costs for these trials have also been criticised by patients as being disproportionate for what they receive.

Appearing to endorse the approach and the costs of the clinic is deeply irresponsible in my opinion.

People have been tweeting that I should report Jones to the GMC or that this programme should be reported to Ofcom. I am not sure about that. The main disciplinary hearing I am interested in is when Burzynski faces the Texas Medical Board in the New Year. What I would actually like to see is the mainstream media actually cover Burzynski where he is the subject. Where the story is focussed on the criticisms of the clinic and not on some heart breaking story of a dying child.

At the moment, all the heavy lifting around this story is being left to bloggers. And for their efforts, they have been threatened by Burzynski’s hired gangsters. Rhys Morgan, 17, had pictures of his house sent to him. I was told to “Be smart and considerate for your family and new child, and shut the article down..Immediately”.

It’s not as if the public only want to hear about heroic children. I have had nearly a quarter of a million page views in the past month regarding these issues. It would not just be ethically right to cover Burzynski properly, but it might also be a sound economic decision.

Not that it should be, of course, But it makes it even stranger as to why the media are incapable of doing anything other than promoting this dubious wicked nonsense.

Related posts:
1.Burzynski Clinic Issues a Statement What to make of the press release issued by the Burzynski Clinic? Well, the good news is that Marc Stephens, the PR man who threatened my family, has had his...
 2.The Burzynski Clinic Threatens 17 Year Old Blogger I have been hinting that Burzynski has been threatening other prominent UK bloggers. Well, that blogger has now gone public. Rhys Morgan Rhys Morgan is a 17 year old schoolboy...
 3.The False Hope of the Burzynski Clinic Yesterday’s Observer contained a full page, heart breaking story of a 4-year old girl, Billie Bainbridge, who has a inoperable and rare form of brain cancer, Diffuse Intrinsic Pontine...
 4.The Observer Responds – Complicity in Misinformation This morning, the Observer has responded to the large amount concern raised by its coverage of the Burzynski Clinic two weeks ago. The Observer told the story of how Peter...
 5.The Burzynski Clinic Threatens My Family. Tonight, the entertainer Peter Kay will be performing the first of two special sell-out gigs in Blackpool to raise funds for a very poorly four-year old girl with brain cancer
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

Andrea

I feel the same way about big pharm companies.  Their business is to make and keep people sick and the amount of $$ they make is disgusting.  A cure for cancer is counter-productive for them.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I also feel the same way....and believe they don't want to let the public know about cures.  Unfortunately, it's necessary for kids to get a zillion vaccines before they can enter school.   And I do believe they experiment on people by giving free vaccines.  I know so many people who :::run::: to get antibiotics and drugs at the slightest hint of feeling sick.  And yes, I know all drugs aren't meant to be bad....but Big Pharma wants you on them forever so they can line their deep pockets. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tink

Look, the only thing I agree on is that the FDA drags its heels on many things. I've known of many lame brain clinics that are purported to "heal" those who can't be cured, between Texas & Mexico. Most would've survived and saved much more money if they'd simply eaten an organic diet that's lowfat, and low on meats and sugars. Cancer is something I'm all to familiar with, and it's taken more people in my family than heart disease. For the most part, people simply need to do self checks, and come in to the doctors, instead of WISHING that growing lump to go away. Eyes blurring, etc., just doesn't go away.

I believe in a hybrid solution for cancer: catch it early, but eat right in the first place, eat organic. If you get it, fight, fight, fight! Throw the book at it!

I remember when everyone got sick with measles, small pox, chicken pox, etc., in grade school. Some kids died! Now there's vaccinations, yaaay! Unfortunately, once you've had chicken pox, you've got the Epstein Virus in your system, and it's going to come back as Shingles, usually over 60 today. Glad there's a shot for that.

Everyone's had their shots in my family, and no direct blood relative's had autism.

I have trust in the RESEARCH SCIENTISTS, and doctors I do follow them, look them up, and save the info, when it's brought to my attention.

But be forewarned: some people may seem to only get better from these side treatments for a short period of time. The big Mexican clinic showed off a girl that they claimed cured on tv, to garner more patients. She died like 6 months later, the cancer went out of control in her tiny body.

Once again, don't believe everything you read - research it.

Just because one person says Big Pharma is evil - are they really? Or, is it just someone not liking to pay the high costs out of pocket, and doesn't have insurance? They could go directly to the company, and sign some paperwork, and get their meds for $10 a month! Yes, seriously.

Too many people just like complaining, not actually getting into the trenches, and doing something. I believe Glaxo-Smith helped to create Cervarix, which is an HPV shot, that has been proven to dramatically cut down CERVICAL CANCER, a real killer! It can come back 40 years after anyone's deemed cured, if you're not getting PAP smears.

Once the meds go generic, Big Pharma companies are already working on other things.

But please - do blame those selling the meds, not the scientists. They really do work from their hearts!

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Black & Proud! I'm like the Oracle/Batgirl, who helps Batman in the comic books. I believe in "Comic Book justice."

GINAFELICIA

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
I also believe we have to see the 2 sides of the story and I agree  the old-fashioned vaccins have saved many lives but when it comes to cancer I don't trust the official "cure" simply because it proved inefficient.
All the people I know who had cancer and followed the old path of surgery- chemo-radio -* they all died in max 5 years and we're talking about young people, 40-45 years old. I guess if they would have done nothing more but follow a diet they would have survived at least that long.

Something is very wrong in this picture to me.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tink

Patch Adams used HUMOR, and made people laugh as part of his "Medicine." This was part of what many doctors have concluded, but have met with resistance.
Laughter, positive reinforcement, changing your mood from angry to happy - your mood affects everything, when you're sick!
Michael had done research into that, and why he had happy music and videos for the Wish Foundation at Neverland always piped in everywhere!

Actually, the attacks on Dr. Burzynski are NOT unfounded. No one's been able to do independent testing, to prove him right. They've tried. Usually for experimental testing, the subject gets paid, yet he charges an awful lot. That's partly what got people sniffing around his doorstep, because of previous fraud allegations, back in the 90s.

If someone gets worse, they get removed from the trials. Sounds fishy, doesn't it?

Short version: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Loooong version: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: January 04, 2012, 03:25:25 PM by Tink
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Black & Proud! I'm like the Oracle/Batgirl, who helps Batman in the comic books. I believe in "Comic Book justice."

Patch Adams used HUMOR, and made people laugh as part of his "Medicine." This was part of what many doctors have concluded, but have met with resistance.
Laughter, positive reinforcement, changing your mood from angry to happy - your mood affects everything, when you're sick!
Michael had done research into that, and why he had happy music and videos for the Wish Foundation at Neverland always piped in everywhere!

Actually, the attacks on Dr. Burzynski are NOT unfounded. No one's been able to do independent testing, to prove him right. They've tried. Usually for experimental testing, the subject gets paid, yet he charges an awful lot. That's partly what got people sniffing around his doorstep, because of previous fraud allegations, back in the 90s.

If someone gets worse, they get removed from the trials. Sounds fishy, doesn't it?

Short version: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Loooong version: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I agree. 'Patch Adams' has been a great inspirator for many hospitals, called “Strength Through Laughter” therapy. Party's are being organized, f.i. at Halloween patients wear "spook cancer" costumes. Studies showed that laughter and fun makes so much difference for them.
Michael was convinced about this laughter/humor/music treatment. It was/is his dream to make a difference for these children.

About Burzynski, indeed it is hard to see solid proof of cured patients. In the movie we hear a positive talk of patients and it has a high PR level, so we will never know how TRUE it is. My point is, triggered by the movie Thrive, that we should be aware and NOT take everything for granted what the healthcare industry tells and 'sells' us.

L.O.V.E.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

Actually, it is a very positive fact that an internet discussion about vaccination is running. About 10 or 15 years ago I wasn’t aware about the side effects and risks of vaccinating children and I didn’t even consider to do research on internet. I took things too much for granted as a lame sheep, call it naive. Ok, I read the information which was included on the invitation of the children’s vaccination program. Now I know about the pros and cons of vaccinating children thanks to internet and some critical media outlets.
Still I find vaccinations necessary to prevent childhood mortality and for protection against infectueus diseases with a high risk on severe complications, f.i. according to the WHO measles is still one of the leading causes of childhood mortality. The change is that we’ve become critical and we are the ones who make choices and decisions and not the government or healthcare organizations.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

paula-c

When someone dares to defy these mafias of the pharmaceutical industry  surely be victim of defamation. Here in Venezuela there is a case where a doctor is working on a vaccine and its possible use in the treatment of cancer. Dr. Jacinto Convit development the vaccine against leprosy.   You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

This man of 98 years been the victim of attacks  the part of journalists, the media and of course the pharmaceutical industry.

"A new experimental medical treatment is available for those suffering from breast cancer, colon, brain and stomach."

The team responsible for its manufacture is under the supervision of doctor Jacinto Convit, world renowned for having discovered the cure leprosy and leishmaniasis.

'Before that nothing ­se hastened to clarify Convit­, is important to clarify that this is an immunization for treatment, but it is not preventive'. Which means that it can only be placed on people who suffer from the disease, so it cannot be used to avoid it.

Although the vaccine has been tested in only 24 patients, it has been very well studied and documented. Some patients have been in treatment for 3 years and they have shown significant improvements, which could mean a step forward in the eradication of the disease.

On the other hand, the specialist emphasized that ' need much support, but not money, but of wills '. The doctor called to join efforts to advance medical and scientific: ' there is much to be done, we need people who want to work with us. I hope that volunteers will appear. Them are here waiting '.     

With the serenity that characterizes it, Convit said that this 'vaccine', as he calls it, is nothing out of this world, but on the contrary, ' is based on a simple principle: the strengthen the body '.

Inoculation is made up of three basic elements: BCG, formalita and carcinogenic dead cells from the patient are mixed to give turn to the required dose. Thanks to this last ingredient, the vaccine may not be produced in series, but is fully customized. 'For each patient, his vaccine', said Convit.

Patients must not absolutely pay nothing to receive treatment.

"The Director of the National Institute of Biomedicine of the Vargas Hospital in Venezuela Jacinto Convit reported today,"Have developed the vaccine against breast, colon and stomach cancer through Immunology therapies"." The invaluable Venezuelan scientist, released this statement and added that "the price is enormous to combat these diseases, chemotherapy therapies are extremely costly to patients, chemo can cost close to $3,000, the vaccine that we have been developing in immunotherapy of Vargas is free". The researcher said that this vaccine is composed of cells mutant of the patient, which have several types of cells and not a single mutation is causing relapse later in the patient, to combine a gram of cancer cells that have only just in case the cost of $5, the patient develops an improvement in its own body for the production of antibodies that destroy cancer cells". However, not everything is there, specialist, indicated that it has obtained great results in patients who has provided this vaccine, in special mention to those affected with breast cancer, which in his view of "are those who attend our campus, with an immense faith and in a large number". By what says, "as this vaccine there are none, the production of vaccines is not frequent in the country, we are rather those who receive them from other countries". "Researchers conclude by indicating that from the Vargas Hospital we want to contribute to the lives of patients, we want to provide treatments, we do not seek money from no one, only we call patients to attend this Institute".

Very little cancer patients attend this hospital seeking the help of this doctor thanks to the large amount of attacks that the received

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions