Racism in Entertainment Industry
January 21, 2012, 02:17:11 PM
I recently finished Leonard Rowe's book. It was an eye opener on so many levels. (Don't even get me started on the AEG contract with Michael--that is another post). The inherent racism that he reveals in the industry on the level of promoters of music and the righteous fight that ensued was information new to me.

I then coupled that with a video that I watched of the National Black Caucus Foundation in October 2009 which was a tribute to Michael. I was struck by LA congresswoman swearing that the investigation by the FBI prior to his death would continue after his death.

I just finished looking at internet information regarding recent George Lucas comments on the film industry not supporting Red Tails because their isn't enough of a market for it since it is an all Black cast. WTF?? And George talks about retiring from making blockbusters to do what he wants  /bravo/

So this makes me angry/then extremely sad to think how institutionalized this is and all the brilliance we are missing because of this continued hatred masked as ignorance.     *FU*

Guess I am going to the movies this afternoon.....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

Re: Racism in Entertainment Industry
February 17, 2012, 05:28:23 AM
I just went to see the movie, Red Tail, yesterday with my hubby.  I thought it was super and highly recommend it. PG 13.
I know Paris tweeted once about the movie title, so it must hold significance for MJ.

Just to be accepted into the white world of doing flight combat missions, blacks seemed to have to work twice as hard to earn respect.
In the end after earning many awards for their accomplishments, they were welcomed and cheered by whites.

One thing that caught my eye, was that one young man was always showing and talking about his picture of a black Jesus. The others teased him about it, but when this boy went up on a mission he was shot, his plane leaking fuel all over him and he was bleeding badly. He landed on the runway bursting into flames. He was pulled out, and the doctor said he would be okay, but had 60% burns.

Later his friend had somehow gotten out the picture which was burned around the edges, but you could still see the black Jesus.
So this guy had been through fire, but with his 'black Jesus', he had survived.

Now it could be the movie director is just showing something cultural with the black Jesus, what blacks feel better about believing about Jesus.
But I think that someone directing knows, that Jesus really was black-skinned, as I believe there is ample proof, but this is one of many major complex cover-ups in our long racial history. Just me I guess.

Then the true-    Now in movie!

A crew of African American pilots in the Tuskegee training program, having faced segregation while kept mostly on the ground during World War II, are called into duty under the guidance of Col. A.J. Bullard.  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tink

February 17, 2012, 11:40:27 AM
THIS is what all minorities fight, each and every day, including women of ALL colors! I do wish Red Tails had focused more on the actual individual characters, but I understand Lucas did the best he could. Out here, we jokingly called it Star Wars 7.  ;))

Regardless - Lucas said he WOULD touch on that, with a prequel, and a sequel! He thinks of movies in complete story arcs. You'd be surprised at how many people are chomping at the bit, to make more movies on us Black & Biracials! Because they normally just call us the same.

Also during WW2, we used Navaho Code Talkers, which was an indecipherable language. Hitler knew about the Comanche Code talkers during WW1. He was called, "Crazy White Man!"  /toldya/

Then there were the Japanese American fighting group, who wanted to prove their loyalty - though their families had been rounded up, taken out of their homes, and put into internment camps, here on American soil. They proved themselves, though at high costs, to show they were indeed loyal to their homeland of America!

And who can ever forget, all the women who worked the factories, building the airplanes!? This forever empowered women, showed us that they could do more than pop babies, and take the hat & coat from the man, and feed him when he comes home. But many men coming home from WW2, didn't like the change - so we got dumbed down tv shows, trying to convince women to be the man's version of utopia here; no! Why? This was also prejudism, all! Women got fully emancipated, and loved it! Women now had a choice, a say. They could be whatever they wanted now.

I just wish more was said, about minorities during WW2! We all deserve to know - for with all their help, the tide was definitely turned in America's favor.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Black & Proud! I'm like the Oracle/Batgirl, who helps Batman in the comic books. I believe in "Comic Book justice."

MJonmind

February 18, 2012, 04:45:50 AM

Interesting Tink, say more, about Lucas plans, and Code talkers!

Oh, to hear all the unsung hero/heroine stories, of courage and determination against all odds.  We are all unsung, under appreciated, for the little  acts we do, the little stone we throw into the pond that makes ripples that affect everything around us. Remember the movie, "It's a wonderful life!"
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tink

February 24, 2012, 08:24:36 PM

Interesting Tink, say more, about Lucas plans, and Code talkers!

Oh, to hear all the unsung hero/heroine stories, of courage and determination against all odds.  We are all unsung, under appreciated, for the little  acts we do, the little stone we throw into the pond that makes ripples that affect everything around us. Remember the movie, "It's a wonderful life!"

Best interview yet of Lucas on Red Tails!You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
I hope you enjoy it.  ;))

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Black & Proud! I'm like the Oracle/Batgirl, who helps Batman in the comic books. I believe in "Comic Book justice."

MJonmind

February 25, 2012, 12:05:52 AM
Unavailable in my area. Thanks for trying.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 25, 2012, 12:16:08 AM
Cool post, this song came on as I was reading.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pR1tOVd4PCk[/youtube]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tink

February 27, 2012, 03:08:00 AM
Try here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Sift through these shows.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

everlastinglove_MJ

February 27, 2012, 10:05:39 AM
I recently finished Leonard Rowe's book. It was an eye opener on so many levels. (Don't even get me started on the AEG contract with Michael--that is another post). The inherent racism that he reveals in the industry on the level of promoters of music and the righteous fight that ensued was information new to me.

I then coupled that with a video that I watched of the National Black Caucus Foundation in October 2009 which was a tribute to Michael. I was struck by LA congresswoman swearing that the investigation by the FBI prior to his death would continue after his death.

I just finished looking at internet information regarding recent George Lucas comments on the film industry not supporting Red Tails because their isn't enough of a market for it since it is an all Black cast. WTF?? And George talks about retiring from making blockbusters to do what he wants  /bravo/

So this makes me angry/then extremely sad to think how institutionalized this is and all the brilliance we are missing because of this continued hatred masked as ignorance.     *FU*

Guess I am going to the movies this afternoon.....

I agree with your post and as soon as "Red Tails" is running here I will definitely go to the movies as well!

The Lucasfilm “Red Trail” Tribute to Black History

If you do not believe that racial prejudice, or bigotry or racial intolerance or racial discrimination is still very much alive and deeply impeded in the very fabric of the American society just ask George Walton Lucas, Jr.

Lucas is an extremely successful American film producer, screenwriter, director, and entrepreneur who is the founder, chairman and chief executive of Lucasfilm.

He is very well known, but is best known as the creator of the space opera franchise Star Wars and the archaeologist-adventurer character Indiana Jones. Lucas is one of the American film industry's most financially successful directors/producers, with an estimated net worth of $3.2 billion as of 2011.

In the making of the movie “Red Trail” Lucas sought financial from several financial institutions and the all turned him away because making a movie about the Tuskegee Airmen was not a socially welcome project.

The Tuskegee Airmen is the popular name of a group of African American pilots who have been around since March 1944 and fought in World War II. Formally, they formed the 332nd Fighter Group and the 477th Bombardment Group of the U.S. Army Air Corps.

Some people in Communities across this country knew of the Tuskegee Airmen but give them very little attention. For many it was like a dream forgotten until George Walton Lucas, Jr. chairman and chief executive of Lucasfilm used approximately $65 million of his own money to make and market or distribute the movie “Red Trail.”

Tuskegee Airmen mainer is sweeping the country. In many cases states and local government leaders are making sure everyone gets to see this documentary. For example, State of Ohio Representative Denise Driehaus Democrat from Price Hill a lifelong resident of Cincinnati and is serve Ohio’s 31st District will hosting a free screening of a Tuskegee Airmen documentary on Friday night, February 24th, 2012, 7 P.M. at the Western Hills Brethren In Christ Church located at 2815 Robert Avenue, Cincinnati, Ohio.

Many who have seen this movie have acted as though they are not aware these types of racial prejudices, or bigotry or racial intolerance or even racial discrimination.

The point is given the fact that Lucas is a man of great wealth and could have afforded the funding of this project but because the subject of the project was about “Black Men-The Tuskegee Airmen” was an undesirable topic spoke volume.

Driehaus pointed said the film serve as a "Double Victory" and added, this LucasFilm documentary details the story of how the Tuskegee Airmen, the first group of African-American aviators in the United States, fought fascism in Europe while fighting racism at home.

Also, James Shaw, president of the Cincinnati chapter of the Tuskegee Airmen, and one of the original Tuskegee Airmen will be in attendance.

Our young African American brothers and sisters can learn valuable lessons from the experienced of Tuskegee Airmen. In that, spite of adversity and limited opportunities they can achieved and shine as the brightest starts that they are.

It must be taught and it must be learned that African Americans have played a significant role in U.S. military history over the past 300 years. Although they were denied military leadership roles and skilled training because many believed they lacked qualifications for combat duty they were proven to be the best.

Before 1940, African Americans were barred from flying for the U.S. military. Civil rights organizations and the black press exerted pressure that resulted in the formation of an all African-American pursuit squadron based in Tuskegee, Alabama, in 1941. They became known as the Tuskegee Airmen.

Consequently, before the Tuskegee Airmen, no African American had been a U.S. military pilot. However, in 1917, a group of African American men tried to become aerial observers, but they were rejected.

African American Eugene Bullard served as one of the members of the Franco-American Lafayette Escadrille, but he was denied the opportunity to transfer to American military units as a pilot when the other American pilots in the unit were offered the chance. Instead, Bullard returned to infantry duty with the French.

The racially motivated rejections of World War I African American recruits sparked over two decades of advocacy by African Americans who wished to enlist and train as military aviators.

The effort was led by such prominent civil rights leaders as Walter White of the National Association for the Advancement of Colored People (NAACP), labor union leader A. Philip Randolph, and Judge William H. Hastie.

Finally, on April 3rd, 1939, Appropriations Bill Public Law 18 was passed by Congress containing an amendment designating funds for training African American pilots. The War Department managed to put the money into funds of civilian flight schools willing to train black Americans.

War Department tradition and policy mandated the segregation of African Americans into separate military units staffed by white officers, as had been done previously with the 9th Cavalry, 10th Cavalry, 24th Infantry Regiment and 25th Infantry Regiment. When the appropriation of funds for aviation training created opportunities for pilot cadets, their numbers diminished the rosters of these older units.

A further series of legislative moves by the United States Congress in 1941 forced the Army Air Corps to form an all-black combat unit, despite the War Department's reluctance.

Due to the restrictive nature of selection policies, the situation did not seem promising for African Americans since, in 1940, the U.S. Census Bureau reported there were only 124 African American pilots in the nation.

The exclusionary policies failed dramatically when the Air Corps received an abundance of applications from men who qualified, even under the restrictive requirements. Many of the applicants already had participated in the Civilian Pilot Training Program (CPTP), in which the historically black Tuskegee Institute had participated since 1939.

It is difficult to understand the financial net worth of $3.2 billion. The presupposition that one is denied financial access is completely mind boggling.

In today’s financial worldAfrican Americans are still being discriminated against. They are continuously being denied access to capital.

Perhaps states and local government leaders such as State of Ohio Representative Denise Driehaus needs to investigate financial institutions lending practices and relationships in the African American Communities.

Problems of racial prejudice, or bigotry or racial intolerance or racial discrimination is still very much alive and deeply impeded in the very fabric of the American society and are detrimental to the African American community access to capital.

I am watching, listening, reading and writing. Access to capital is the next major “Civil Rights Issue.”

Written By;

Ishton W. Morton

Continue reading on Examiner.com The Lucasfilm “Red Trail” Tribute to Black History - Cincinnati Public Policy | Examiner.com You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

L.O.V.E.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

everlastinglove_MJ

February 27, 2012, 10:18:01 AM
Try here:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login Sift through these shows.

Thanks, but not available here.

Sorry, currently our video library can only be watched from within the United States
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

MJonmind

February 28, 2012, 05:46:12 AM
Just thought I'd share another movie we own, that is one I just love. I highly recommend you watching.
It's called, "Something the Lord made".  I cried SO much, and I cried when I watched the trailer now again.

It's the true story of Vivian Thomas, a black doctor who fought against racism to be the one to usher in open heart surgery, particularly on 'blue babies'.  My niece who is now 22, was a blue baby at birth, and at 7 days or so old, was rushed to the hospital where they performed this surgery on her, tubes everywhere. Today she is a beautiful healthy woman with a 2 year old boy. She's had to have occasional adjustments and monitoring, but she owes her life to him.

All the money he had saved in the bank for medical school was suddenly just wiped out. Things like this happened all the time to blacks, and I’ve read elsewhere their stores would be burned down, etc.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tink

March 12, 2012, 03:37:38 PM
Just thought I'd share another movie we own, that is one I just love. I highly recommend you watching.
It's called, "Something the Lord made".  I cried SO much, and I cried when I watched the trailer now again.

It's the true story of Vivian Thomas, a black doctor who fought against racism to be the one to usher in open heart surgery, particularly on 'blue babies'.  My niece who is now 22, was a blue baby at birth, and at 7 days or so old, was rushed to the hospital where they performed this surgery on her, tubes everywhere. Today she is a beautiful healthy woman with a 2 year old boy. She's had to have occasional adjustments and monitoring, but she owes her life to him.

All the money he had saved in the bank for medical school was suddenly just wiped out. Things like this happened all the time to blacks, and I’ve read elsewhere their stores would be burned down, etc.

That's wonderful that your niece survived, MJonmind!

It's just been so much more difficult on Blacks - especially if you're also female on top of it. Nobody thinks you're worth anything, automatically simply by the color of your skin + the shape of your skull! It's sickening.

Michael definitely went up several notches for me, when he pointed out what was culturally stolen from us, then covered with
a white rapper (pun intentional, as is typo). It's been painful.

One of the strangest things that has happened to me my entire life, is that children instinctively trust me - they will simply come up, and hold my hand. I'll do it, of course - safer with me, than strangers. But parents wig out, each & every time!! Children are taught to hate skin color...distrust us. They don't care; they just want someone to hold them, not judge them.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Its her

March 15, 2012, 10:15:04 AM
There is a most interesting movie, actually a documentary, along these lines, from 1998, which I never heard of until a couple of nights ago. It is called, Classified X, by Melvin Van Peebles. It is on You Tube in 6 parts.

He shows ALL the dirty laundry of the American film industry, including examples of where Black artistry and ingenuity was stolen and reproduced as White invention in film after film (Sort of like the people we learned about in another thread here, who stole the inventions of Romanian inventors and presented them as their own. Nothing new under the sun---just different perpetrators. :evil: ) 

And he points out instances of the "same ole same old" in movies as late as the Lethal Weapon series!   ???/

It is an  8)  bow/ AMAZING historical film.
bounce/

Certainly, much of the wrong was done with purpose, such as never allowing a black man a meaty hero/ stud part--to avoid arousing an ("unnatural") interest in  a white woman's mind; but much of it was eye-opening, to me anyway, as he cut together, scene after scene after scene after scene (!) of maid and butler and servant ONLY parts. History "crunched" is 20/20!

I had noticed the absence of people of color in all the westerns and tons of other movies, unless they were written in as "bad guys": natives, enemies to be killed off, or simpletons serving food & drink, but I just thought that since those were historical pieces, that the only parts written were for servants and such :?. Maybe, Idk, black actors weren't in any hurry to claim parts like that. I had no idea that hundreds, maybe thousands of films with a variety of parts were made and shown only in "Black Cinemas", before the Industry squeezed them out.

In the eighties there was an Ebony magazine which had a beautiful picture of young Michael Jackson on the cover, and an article inside, lamenting about how "Black Love" wasn't accurately portrayed in film. It sounded so intriguing, as if there was some :D unique mystery (:oops: In my defense, I was  confused/ discombobulated by the picture of  ;)) mega-mysterious medieval MJ !! NOT my fault. respect/).

Later, I couldn't even think of ANY black lovers in film, only a single mother on TV once, and some street girls in action movies, and some old granny types...so, yeah, I guess not! It was not being portrayed at all. But, it took years and years for even ANY folks to be allowed in a room with a full sized bed even fully clothed (and even 25 years later, I still don't think anyone has gotten it exactly right, until very recently, and I do not errrr mean soap operas :-[  In fact, I don't think I have seen YET, anything but white women's stories of love and woe on the Lifetime movie channel. Oh, wait---I did see Obsessed! on there once, I think, and Marry Me, with Lucy Liu. Ok,  :roll: TWO movies out of ten movies per day every day!! ). 

Well, anyway, I heard that when Lucy and Desi Arnez were pregnant for real and they wrote it into their show (with the twin beds) that she was pregnant, no one on screen was allowed to say the word "pregnant".  :? So, we have come a long way, on the one hand, showing too much skin and explicit language :o , and stayed back in others, holding back in the financing  :-\ and support of quality of story and any heartwarming flirtation, affection and abiding love, as if it just doesn't go on in non white relationships, or does not matter.

Hollywood, for years and years, has not wanted people to see any men but white men as creative or hot, ambitious, fierce heroes, or desirable tender lovers, almost as if the idea were obscene, and people may just believe it!  afraid/ The Industry knew early and feared the power of film!

Melvin Van Peebles said he got into films for THIS reason, this lie, this great disservice to the world; this great waste of talent and expression. He set out to right this wrong. This documentary is very honest and bold, very matter of fact, and gutsy, and I just can't say enough about it, I am so impressed! ;D /bravo/

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions