Michael Jackson’s 1993 Mexico Deposition Videos Prove His Songwriting / Music IQ Were Off The Charts
November 3rd, 2012 9:39pm EDT |   By: Brad Washington

:WTF:
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

The elements of songwriting are simple to some: compose a melody, get some words together and turn it all to form. For those who are songwriters in today’s mainstream music industry, assembly line pop music doesn’t necessarily count. A majority of songwriters today write songs just to get spins on the radio; which means basic song structure consisting of easily-caught melodies and words. But then there are some songwriters who are so gifted at their craft, it’s just mind-blowing on how they come up with their particular composition in terms of structure and rhythm. Michael Jackson, the late great king of pop, was, of course, a renowned entertainer whose talent was limitless in terms of the art. But it was his knowledge of musical song structure, which further pushes his claim into the songwriting Mount Rushmore.

It’s known that Jackson’s songwriting was a strong suit of his, but he never exactly went in depth into a step-by-step guide of how he takes the composition from step one to completion. At last, and ironically, amidst a deposition in Mexico which he was being questioned for a plagiarism suit, he explained in excellent detail how he composed the song “The Girl is Mine” that was featured on the Thriller album. To keep in mind, Michael Jackson didn’t physically write music, he recorded what was in his head into a tape recorder. But never mind why he was there and what exactly he composed his music on, it was his knowledge on song construction that, to me, impressed and made me cherish the gift that he had even more.  He explained in the Deposition video he could compose the bass, percussion and drums all in his head. He structured the rhythm of the slow, catchy groove of The Girl is Mine; he explained how he composed the string lines of the song, he knew exactly when the bass section of the song would change into keyboard’s bass section, and he also explained that he used “musical counter lines that could go against the main part. It could be a keyboard, it could be a flute, and it could be a string part. It’s a tapestry of sound, which is what the law of music is.”

The point that he had no formal musical composition training: besides learning from his fellow Motown label mates as a member of the Jackson 5, makes his songwriting gifts a rarity. And it’s safe to assume he was only 23 at the time of the composition, which was a prelude to the strong body of work that would originate from years to come. From the self-composed numbers of  “Billie Jean”, “The Way You Make Me Feel”, “Leave Me Alone”,  “Heal the World”, “Stranger in Moscow”, and “Earth Song”, the musical composition talent  Michael Jackson possessed is a constant reminder of the creativity that flowed through him.

While of course, no one is exactly taught to have sounds that would be in popular music, not everyone understands the magnitude and importance of each musical instrument, the melody, structure and arrangement of a song. It should make the musical mind wonder if there are any tapes of how he exactly composed his landmark songs such as “Billie Jean” and “Earth Song” and the others I named previously.  Musical Geniuses may not be born, but some come with the pre-loaded craft to mold and build. Michael Jackson’s musical IQ was a rare but brilliant ability that some musicians and classically trained musicians/singers do not possess.  I’ll end with a quote from Michael Jackson about letting a song create itself:

“Don’t write the song, don’t write anything. Let the song create itself. Let the strings tell you what to do and where it should come. Let the piano tell you what chords to hit. Let the bass tell you what it should be doing.”

Photo Credits: HRC/ WENN.com

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yZUDOgRjhxU[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KCiXVy_pFo[/youtube]

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0KCiXVy_pFo[/youtube]
Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 08:48:23 AM by hesouttamylife
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
"Don't stop this child, He's the father of man
Don't cross his way, He's part of the plan
I am that child, but so are you
You've just forgotten, Just lost the clue.”

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…
   and leaving me Speechless!

“True goodbyes are the ones never said

Andrea

I think the deposition tapes are a fascinating glimpse into MJ's songwriting abilities.  It's too bad that someone tried to rip off his songs as their own but the silver lining is we got that glimpse into how MJ composes his songs. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

It pains me that it has taken 19 years for this to get any media blitz.  My question is what is the significance of it gaining momentum right NOW. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…

sounds BAMalicious to me  :michael-jackson:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
People laugh when I explain. And though they may laugh, that doesn't change the fact that it's still the truth.

Michael is Alive
The end of evil is nigh
Trust in God
The righteous will prevail

ellyd

sounds BAMalicious to me  :michael-jackson:

Sorry, Aussie and Michael, I could not resist... ;-)

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNuX7bs2qAM&feature=related[/youtube]
Last Edit: November 04, 2012, 03:47:58 PM by ellyd
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJ "Magical Child"
Still Rocking my World…

sweetsunsetwithMJ

• Hoaxer
  • View Profile
  • Michael I am looking forward to your BAM!!
It pains me that it has taken 19 years for this to get any media blitz.  My question is what is the significance of it gaining momentum right NOW.

The fact that this deposition is being released now is because Michael wants us to be aware of the pain he was going through.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
I WANNA BE WHERE YOU ARE!!

everlastinglove_MJ

I think the deposition tapes are a fascinating glimpse into MJ's songwriting abilities.  It's too bad that someone tried to rip off his songs as their own but the silver lining is we got that glimpse into how MJ composes his songs.

I agree.
the musical composition talent  Michael Jackson possessed is a constant reminder of the creativity that flowed through him.

MJ's demonstrations on how composing music and songs remind me of the spoken intro with beatboxing "drums" of the song "I Like The Way You Love me" on the 'Michael' album and during the Immortal World Tour show, in which we are also getting a glimpse into MJ's composing abilities. I love how he introduces the song "I Like The Way You Love Me".

Thank you for sharing this article Hesouttamylife: )

LOVE

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

Guys s it me or does this sound like the Michael as Dave Dave on Larry king. Listen guys.

Also linked when Michael sorry Dave Dave talked about Paul McCartney and the girl is mine ;0)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions