Michael's perfomance at Super Bowl XXVII, 1993
January 30, 2015, 10:04:15 PM
The following article is now trending, presumably in light of the upcoming 2015 Super Bowl on February 1.

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
How the NFL convinced
Michael Jackson to perform at
Super Bowl XXVII

By Yahoo Sports Staff
January 29, 2015 9:23 PM

SportsDash Super Bowl XLIX between the Seattle Seahawks and New England Patriots could be the most watched edition in the game's illustrious history. Cheap seats at University of Phoenix Stadium in Glendale, Ariz. are going for $8,500. But the NFL's championship wasn't always so grand. Way back when, it took some convincing by the league to get The King of Pop to show up. In a truly captivating read, Sports Illustrated's Austin Murphy recounts the evolution of the Super Bowl's halftime show. Murphy specifically notes Michael Jackson's involvement in Super Bowl XXVII being a game-changing moment in how the halftime performance is viewed today — and how it almost never happened.

For a month they got nowhere. [The NFL's Jim] Steeg sat down with the King of Pop’s manager, Sandy Gallin, 11 months before Super Bowl XXVII. “I remember pitching them,” he says, “and them not really having a clue what we were talking about.” At a subsequent meeting, producer Don Mischer pointed out that the Super Bowl would be broadcast in more than 120 countries. Now he had Jackson’s full attention.

Steeg recalls Jackson saying, “So you’re telling me that this show is going live to all those places where I’ll never do a concert?” A pause. “I’m in.”

“Michael worked harder than anybody [who’s done the halftime show], before or since,” says Steeg, who remembers seeing Jackson still rehearsing his act at seven the night before the game, in a tent outside the Rose Bowl.

And it showed. Jackson, rocking a bandolier-draped frock coat on loan, apparently, from Muammar Gaddafi, was sensational. The final moments of that show were the most viewed in the history of television at the time.

Watch the entire twelve-and-a-half minute performance here. (You know you're big time when James Earl Jones does your intro.) Needless to say, Katy Perry has big shoes to fill.

I'm unable to get the performance video mentioned above to post, :icon_e_confused: but here's the link to a truly great moment in history-- :multiplespotting: Michael Jackson, Super Bowl XXVII halftime:

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
It's all for L.O.V.E.

gwynned

Well, well, well.  I was going to start a thread about the Superbowl and here we are! 

It's been 22 years.  Nice number.  I don't know about you but I see Michael behind lots of what is currently going on as we ramp up to the big event, which, as Madonna described it before her performance: 

“The Superbowl is kind of like the Holy of Holies in America. I’ll come at halfway of the “church experience” and I’m gonna have to deliver a sermon. It’ll have to be very impactful.”

Odd thing to say.  And did I detect just a bit of hostility in her voice?  For most of the audience her performance was anything BUT impactful, but then it wasn't designed for the masses in mind, who were merely mystified by the bizareness of it all. 

One can't really avoid 'news' about the Superbowl and I must confess to having a bizarre fascination with the whole event and the media gratiously delivered quite the interesting stories.  First, of course, is 'deflate gate' with squeeky clean Tom Brady anxiously explaining how he doesn't let anyone squeeze or blow on his balls before a game.  Nevertheless, the Patriots appear to have played with deflated balls.

On the other side, the star running back of the Seattle Seahawks, Marshawn Lynch (an unfortunate last name for a black man) who was fined 15K for grabbing his crotch!!!  :michael_jackson-1135:  You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Lynch doesn't have much regard for rules, so something tells me that after a big play you're going to see Beast Mode going all Michael Jackson on us again, whether it's on the sideline or as he dives into the end zone. Just another reason (as if you needed one) to watch the big game on Feb. 1.

Need more evidence of Michael's 'hand' in these theatrics?

Super Bowl 2015: Why does Marshawn Lynch like Skittles?  Now where have I heard Skittles mentioned before?

And finally, HE WEARS A CRAZY LOOKING MASK BEFORE GAMES!!!!   :thjajaja121:

What might be the symbolism of Tom Brady (like the lily white Brady Bunch) under suspicion of cheating and playing with deflated balls facing off against the mysterious crotch grabbing black 'beast' with a mask? 

And what kind of 'sermon' will Katy Perry deliver?   

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions