ZenTopic starter

Symbol on shirt in 70's
January 14, 2010, 09:55:05 PM
Please feel free to delete or move if this has been posted already. My friend just called
this pictures to my attention.   I think this symbol is Islam?  

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Crescendo

Re: Symbol on shirt in 70's
January 15, 2010, 12:08:21 AM
I think I know what youre talking about. The symbol which i believeis used to represent islam is similar to the brooch Michael is wearing. But that doesn't necessarily mean its the symbol for the islamic relgion. i think its just a design in this case with michael.

I used to have a necklace with a star and moon on it. But it didn't mean anything.

Im sure as a boy Michael only knew of the teachings which came from the Jehovah's witnesses.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Serenitys_Dream

January 15, 2010, 12:37:48 AM
Here is the image from the link.

When I googled it I found this:

The symbol of a crescent moon and star has been used since antiquity. The Greeks used it to represent the goddess Diana, the Carthaginians used it to represent their goddess Tanit, and it was used in worship in Central Asia and Siberia. The symbol has been used by cities and to commemorate battles. It has been imprinted on coins, flown on flags, and approximately one thousand years ago, it was painted on the ceiling of a rock canyon in the American southwest. Some of these artifacts may also record the supernova that created one of the jewels of the night sky, the Crab Nebula.

There are several records that document the supernova in 1054. In the records of the Chinese Sung Dynasty, a “guest star” was observed in the constellation of Taurus. A Japanese observation describes a nova as bright as Jupiter and in Arizona, New Mexico, and Baja California, Mexico, indigenous people were painting a crescent moon near a star on canyon walls and boulders. But are these the only records of Supernova 1054?

Background

Not long after becoming interested in archeoastronomy, I was looking through a book with pictures of flags from countries around the world. I was immediately intrigued to see so many flags with a crescent moon and star. Was this a coincidence?

After asking a few times, I was told that the crescent moon with a star are symbols of Islam. The evidence for the response seemed reasonable. Muslims begin some holidays, such as Ramadan, based on the phase of the Moon; their calendar is based on the lunar cycle; they are to visit a holy meteorite in Mecca at least once in their lives; and their religion has roots near Babylonia, known for astronomical observations.

The early Muslims, however, did not use symbols on their flags. They flew solid green, black, or white flags. The crescent moon and star were not used until the Ottoman Empire in 1453 when the Turks conquered Istanbul and adopted the city flag. Was there another reason why this symbol appears on so many Muslim flags? Could they also be a record of Supernova 1054?

Googling Supernova 1054:

SN 1054 (Crab Supernova) was a supernova that was widely seen on Earth in the year 1054. It was recorded by Chinese, Japanese, Native Americans, and Persian/Arab astronomers as being bright enough to see in daylight for 23 days and was visible in the night sky for 653 days. The progenitor star was located in the Milky Way galaxy at a distance of 6,300 light years and exploded as a core-collapse supernova.

There is also evidence the Mimbres and Anasazi Native Americans saw and recorded SN 1054; an Anasazi cliff painting near the great house of Penasco Blanco may portray it.

It has also been claimed that an obscure entry in a number of Irish monastic annals originally referred to SN 1054 but was subsequently corrupted, becoming in the process an allegorical fantasy based on the legend of the Antichrist.

The cloudy remnants of SN 1054 are now known as the Crab Nebula. The nebula is also referred to as Messier 1 or M1, being the first Messier Object cataloged in 1758. X-rays from this object were detected in April 1963 with a high-altitude rocket of type Aerobee with an X-ray detector developed at the Naval Research Laboratory; the X-ray source was named Taurus X-1, and the energy emitted in X-rays by the Crab nebula is about 100 times more than that emitted in the visual light.

A pulsating radio source, now known as the Crab Pulsar, lies in the heart of the nebula.

The photo of this reminds me of the one used at the memorial of the Milky Way??

The Crab Nebula, remnant of SN 1054. Credit: NASA/ESA.

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

January 15, 2010, 03:37:28 AM
We also have seen Michael wearing a kipah (or whatever this is what the Jews people used to wear) when he become the best-man of Uri Geller .
That doesn't mean anything . ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions