I found another very interesting text I mailed myself a while ago, I think it's from MJDH...
(I should clean out my emailbox more often  :D )

Dont know if it's been posted before...

Joey Skaggs "The Final Curtain"
Who Is Joey Skaggs?
"Joey Skaggs (born 1945) is an American prankster who has organized numerous successful media pranks, hoaxes, and other presentations. He is considered one of the originators of the phenomenon known as culture jamming. "

Joey Skaggs was a prankster. He enjoyed pulling pranks on the media. And only the media.
"refusing to really scam anyone except the media"

How Does This Relate To Michael Jackson?
Well, when I ask people "Why do you think Michael hoaxed his death?"
The answer I get most often is "I think he's trying to teach the media a lesson"
Which makes sense, think about all the Hell the media put him through. Its a logical explanation too me.

"This Is It, This Is The Final Curtain Call"
Sound familiar? That quote was spoken by Michael Jackson himself, at his O2 Press Conference. This quote seems to have been "Stressed". Like they wanted people to remember it. let me explain:

"final curtain call" is a phrase used long before Michaels press conference. Meaning "last show" or "last act". But now all its being assosiated with is Michael Jackson. Look:

All I did was type in "Final Curtain Call" into google, and all I got was Michael Jackson.

How does this relate to Joey Skaggs?

Good question. As you now know, our friend Joey here liked pulling pranks and Hoaxes on the media. Well one of his pranks was named The Final Curtain.

"The Final Curtain (2000): Skaggs' creation was a combined funeral company, virtual graveyard and theme park. It was meant to satirize showmanship in places like Forest Lawn cemeteries."

Basicly, he wanted to draw attention to the death-care industry which he described as "a giant corporate scam, exquisitely successful at commercializing death." He didnt like how big cemeteries, and insurance companies...etc. made so much money off of peoples deaths. (notice how Forest Lawn is used as an example, coincidence? I think not.)

Making money off of a persons death, now that sounds familiar.

"He hires actors to play his customers, refusing to really scam anyone except the media. Often the prank is nothing more than a press release with a phone number; in these press releases, Skaggs leaves hints or details that easily could be checked for accuracy. Eventually, he reveals the hoax to make his point."

He hires people?
Press release?
Now wasnt Michaels death announced in a press release made by his Brother?
Hints or details that easily could be checked for accuracy?

Such as his Death certificate stating the wrong middle name, or The search warrent stating the wrong adress. You know, things like that?

"Eventually, he reveals the hoax to make his point."

:shock:  !
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Let\'s not forget...

This is real ? Not another fake like BoW or Sam Gretchen Sims ?  :x
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
" I'm going to shock the world, just watch. "

ejay

I remember jonell star had this in one of her last videos before the movie premiered..but it didnt pan out. I think she hoped it would reveal in the movie. I love jonell and miss her vids. :(

anyways, here he is in an interview You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Suzy

No this guy is real.I see once an piece of an interview with him on a hoax video.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

I believe this was one of the redirects from TIAI..
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
"Imagination is more important than knowledge" ~ Albert E.

Quote from: "Cameron"

I don't think it's fake.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Let\'s not forget...

Quote from: "Dancing_Machine"
I found another very interesting text I mailed myself a while ago, I think it's from MJDH...
(I should clean out my emailbox more often  :D )

Dont know if it's been posted before...

Joey Skaggs "The Final Curtain"
Who Is Joey Skaggs?
"Joey Skaggs (born 1945) is an American prankster who has organized numerous successful media pranks, hoaxes, and other presentations. He is considered one of the originators of the phenomenon known as culture jamming. "

Joey Skaggs was a prankster. He enjoyed pulling pranks on the media. And only the media.
"refusing to really scam anyone except the media"

How Does This Relate To Michael Jackson?
Well, when I ask people "Why do you think Michael hoaxed his death?"
The answer I get most often is "I think he's trying to teach the media a lesson"
Which makes sense, think about all the Hell the media put him through. Its a logical explanation too me.

"This Is It, This Is The Final Curtain Call"
Sound familiar? That quote was spoken by Michael Jackson himself, at his O2 Press Conference. This quote seems to have been "Stressed". Like they wanted people to remember it. let me explain:

"final curtain call" is a phrase used long before Michaels press conference. Meaning "last show" or "last act". But now all its being assosiated with is Michael Jackson. Look:

All I did was type in "Final Curtain Call" into google, and all I got was Michael Jackson.

How does this relate to Joey Skaggs?

Good question. As you now know, our friend Joey here liked pulling pranks and Hoaxes on the media. Well one of his pranks was named The Final Curtain.

"The Final Curtain (2000): Skaggs' creation was a combined funeral company, virtual graveyard and theme park. It was meant to satirize showmanship in places like Forest Lawn cemeteries."

Basicly, he wanted to draw attention to the death-care industry which he described as "a giant corporate scam, exquisitely successful at commercializing death." He didnt like how big cemeteries, and insurance companies...etc. made so much money off of peoples deaths. (notice how Forest Lawn is used as an example, coincidence? I think not.)

Making money off of a persons death, now that sounds familiar.

"He hires actors to play his customers, refusing to really scam anyone except the media. Often the prank is nothing more than a press release with a phone number; in these press releases, Skaggs leaves hints or details that easily could be checked for accuracy. Eventually, he reveals the hoax to make his point."

He hires people?
Press release?
Now wasnt Michaels death announced in a press release made by his Brother?
Hints or details that easily could be checked for accuracy?

Such as his Death certificate stating the wrong middle name, or The search warrent stating the wrong adress. You know, things like that?

"Eventually, he reveals the hoax to make his point."

:shock:  !

Wow, this is a great find.  Thank you so much for posting.  I have a link from an interview done on 3/28/2010 where Joey Skaggs is mentioned regarding the MJ death hoax.

God bless you, Dancing_Machine! :)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

You rocked my world, you know you did
And everything I own I give
The rarest love who\'d think I\'d find
Someone like you to call mine

"Let us dream of tomorrow where we can truly love from the soul, and know love as the ultimate truth at the heart of all creation."
------Michael Jackson

Those who go beneath the surface do so at their peril. --Oscar Wilde

Look at the Album list and what you think
and this seem fimilar
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

who is bow
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
[size=200]MJ ON MY MIND <3 <3 <3 <3 <3I love him so much that im .........that im .......just simply speechless <3 <3[/size]

Quote from: "liberiangirl96"
who is bow
I think BoW was a member on this site...I really don't know, but I read something like that somewhere. :D
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
C--ontains
O--ptional
I--nformation
N--ot
C--razy
I--ncidents
D--emanding
E--motional
N--aive
C--razed
E--nforcements

-----------------------------------

b--elieving
e--verything
L--ike
I--nconsistent
E--vidence
v--aries
i--n
n--umerous
g--enres

------------------------------------

If you would just \'Hold my Hand\', together we can cause \'Breaking News\', because we will find out who is \'Behind the Mask\'. --reason

Interesting...I forgot about this myself.  :geek:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Let\'s not forget...

Hazzely

I'm sorry this is going to be long but wow, I advise you to read it!! Specially the last two parts (the red headlines)

All I can say is:           W-O-W!! This man is a genius!!

After your doing to read what's posted under the red hreadlines you will understand what is The "final curtain call" about

Was this his inspiration? What a sweet coincidence! LOVE it

The Final Curtain
May, 2000, New York, New York

Are you prepared for the inevitable?
How do you want to be remembered?
What can you do about it?
The Final Curtain was a satirical concept that depicted the death care industry in an over-the-top and humorous way, hoping to provoking individuals to think about their feelings about life, death and burial in a new light -- before it's personally too late.

To Joey Skaggs, the death care industry is a giant corporate scam, exquisitely successful at commercializing death. Pre-need insurance, embalming services, open coffins, headstones, ground space, religious sanctity, and ancillary products are merchandized to con people into spending money under the premise that this is the right thing to do.

Using calculated public relations and marketing tactics, death care providers have elevated spiritual reverence in the funeral parlor to a high art. Their ploy is to appear to pay appropriate tribute to the dead, making a good show for the mourners. Ultimately, it's a waste of space and resources, and a burden to the natural environment at the financial and emotional expense of their clients.

In 1998, Skaggs put together an international team of volunteer writers, artists, and designers to create The Final Curtain , a Web site purporting to represent a voracious real estate development company, featuring a Disney-like memorial theme park and mall which included a traveling time share program for the deceased.

The Final Curtain catered to creative individuals (visual artists, poets, performers, etc.) who wanted to construct their own iconoclastic, irreverent, and/or humorous monuments, mausoleums, and urns.

Planned to be franchised in major metropolitan cities around the world and open to the public, the parks would be a haven for those who wished to be free of the shackles of the current death-care industry's morbid grip on life's passing.

The Final Curtain memorial theme park concept was so outrageous, yet so plausible, that it was widely reported in newspapers, magazines, on television, radio, and on the Internet. It was immediately accepted by the public as a reality without question. People both embraced and attacked it.

Venture capitalists expressed interest in investing. A corporation threatened legal action for trademark infringement. The States of Colorado and New Jersey threatened investigation into the illegal sales of securities on the Internet. Television and Hollywood movies were proposed. And artists submitted burial concepts hoping to be selected by the company for a free grave site.

Joey Skaggs perpetuated the virtual burial business by setting up a bogus office with a telephone and an answering machine and responding to the barrage of requests for interviews. The fact that he played all the parts of the company's executives, i.e., Michael Varley, Managing Director; Stuart MacLelland, Marketing Director; and Paul Corey, Associate Marketing Director, during interviews, never crossed a single journalist's mind.

When he talked about the artist-designed adventure rides such as the "roller coaster of life and death," or the interactive playgrounds where children could frolic on artists' gravesites, or the shops that sold mausoleum replica key chains and coffee mugs, they all bought it.

Funeral directors who contacted the Final Curtain were all for it. They oozed delight that at last big investment money was helping to merge the death care industry into the entertainment world.

Skaggs always leaves clues in his performances. In this case, his own monument, mounted in the Monument Gallery, under the name of Joseph Sullivan, was a screen animation of Skaggs morphing from flesh to bone, with a worm crawling in one eye and out of his mouth.

Documentation (An expanded list of news coverage can be found in the Company section of The Final Curtain )

Documents and links: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
There you can see legal documents to pull this hoax off and some articles ;D

________________________________________________________________________________

The Final Curtain "a HOAX"

DEATH TRICK

Stupid death tricks

How a Web performance artist created a fake chain of theme-park cemeteries and embarrassed 39 newspapers, 19 radio stations, six TV stations, 10 magazines and 20 Web sites.
BY JEFF STARK

This is a great story. And like most great stories, you can sell it in a few words. In this case, three:

1) Cemetery.
2) Theme.
3) Park.

Cemetery Theme Park. Imagine it for a second. Manicured lawns. Perfect flowers. Necro-Disneyland. Six Flags with 21-gun salute. New Orleans -- only cleaner.

A Cemetery Theme Park called the Final Curtain. Because death is boring, and who needs a cortege when you can hire a parade?

But remember this: There is nothing more powerful than a great story. Not even the truth.

The Final Curtain story may already sound familiar. Maybe you read about it in the Los Angeles Times or the Boston Herald. Perhaps you heard about it on NPR, or a morning show on your local radio station. It's even possible that you saw something about it on a Fox television affiliate.

It doesn't really matter where you actually heard about the Final Curtain. Most of the stories -- dozens of separate pieces -- were pretty much the same. They were all wrong. Deathly wrong.

The Final Curtain, the news organizations reported, was the name of a chain of theme-park cemeteries being built by a New Jersey company called Investors Real Estate Development. The business model was a bit complicated (the Final Curtain was supposedly a private corporation, but some sites would be given away), but the central idea wasn't. The hook: to give artists a chance to design their own grave sites.

In proper forward-thinking art-speak, the Final Curtain Web page called these burials "site-specific works of passage." The company was seeking -- and had accepted -- proposals in anticipation of its first park in New York. Illustrator Nick Gaetano proposed a hot-blue neon sign reading "Nick is Dead." An artist and writer named Julia Solis wanted her body fat to be rendered to fuel an eternal flame. A woman named Kim Markegard had submitted plans for a jukebox and a 10-foot by 10-foot parquet floor so that her friends and family could dance on her grave.

There was more. The Final Curtain would make money by charging guests admission and cleaning up on concessions. There were timeshare plans and vacation packages, galleries and museums, Dante's Grill and the Heaven's Gate Cafe. If it sounds ridiculous, consider a few other cultural realities: "Who Wants to Marry a Multi-Millionaire?", cloned pets, impeachment.

Now, imagine that you're a journalist. You want to cover this story. You can't lose with a story about Cemetery Theme Parks. Your editor is impressed. The jokes write themselves. The headlines alone ...

It's almost too good to be true.

Unfortunately, that was the problem.

The Final Curtain turns out to be an elaborate media hoax cooked up by Joey Skaggs, a 45-year-old trickster in New York who's made a career of fooling the media and calling it art for nearly 35 years. Skaggs has appeared on CNN and "Good Morning America" as a drill sergeant with the Fat Squad, a fake disciplinarian diet program; WABC did an Emmy-nominated investigative segment on his Cat House for Dogs, a place to get your pooch laid.

Skaggs refuses to reveal how much of his own money he spent on his latest prank; he makes a living selling paintings and sculpture and occasionally teaching.

This is a great story.

"The hook, the line and the sinker." These are the three phases of any Skaggs prank. Setting up the Final Curtain took Skaggs more than two years. The reporters who fell for his story spent anywhere from two hours to two days writing their stories.

A prank as long and complicated as the Final Curtain required a lot of legwork. First, Skaggs needed a physical space for the Final Curtain to exist, so he installed a hard phone line at a friend's home in New Jersey. Then he printed stationery and business cards. He collected ideas and artwork from 15 collaborators. He invented personas. Most importantly, he registered You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login and built a deep Web site.

Then he baited the first hook -- more than a year ago -- with a little ad on the back page of the Village Voice and 19 other alternative weeklies. The advertisement read:

DEATH GOT YOU DOWN?

At last an alternative!

Later, when reporters questioned him -- or, rather, his invented personas -- he would point to those advertisements as evidence that the Final Curtain had not gone up overnight. The fact that Final Curtain was already spending money gave the project an air of legitimacy. The next step was a simple press release. "Until now, the handling of death has been regimented and boring," it explained. "At the Final Curtain we are throwing away all the rules."

The press release was picked up almost immediately on Oct. 7, by Wireless Flash News Service, a daily wire that "provides daily feature and entertainment content to more than 800 broadcast outlets, newspapers and Web sites world wide." The dummy phone in New Jersey started ringing almost immediately. Calls were mostly fielded by "marketing director" Stuart MacLelland or "spokesman" Paul Corey -- personas cooked up by Skaggs. Some reporters didn't even bother to call.

On Oct. 11 the L.A. Times published a column called "Off-Kilter" by Roy Rivenburg. The headline was "Go out with a bang: Cutting-edge tombstones in a theme-park setting." Rivenburg wrote the story straight. He spent about 200 words introducing the idea and cut straight to the grave markers: "A giant Etch-a-Sketch filled with cremated remains mingled with iron particles"; "A massive ant farm tombstone made from a combination of soil and cremated remains"; "a coffin containing a video camera -- so visitors could watch the corpse decay live or via time-lapse recording."

Rivenburg was one of the writers who didn't call anyone at Final Curtain, although he did exchange an email or two. He was skittish enough about the concept to write a sort of disclaimer into his copy: "Although much of it sounds tongue-in-cheek, Final Curtain officials insist the proposal is real." Those Final Curtain officials, of course, were Skaggs.

Amazingly enough, two days later Skaggs received a letter from an attorney representing Uncle Milton Industries Inc., the maker of Uncle Milton's Ant Farms. The letter was also sent to Rivenburg at the Times. Turns out that "Ant Farm" is a registered trademark. "We believe that you and Final Curtain meant an 'ant vivarium' or an 'ant habitat' to describe the concept. 'Ant Farm' is not a descriptive phrase but is an incontestable trademark that identifies Uncle Milton Industries."

Skaggs had a new line. He fired off another press dispatch about Final Curtain and the Uncle Milton letter. Now he had something far better than a silly idea: a controversy. The only thing the press likes more than a gimmick is a controversy.

"Sometimes you have to nurse things along," said Skaggs last week from his studio. "Controversy is a smokescreen. This is what politicians do to us all the time. They take you away from important issues by creating stupid issues. Then the media focuses on the stupid issues and you never question the premise."

From that point, the Final Curtain took on a life of its own. All Skaggs had to do was sit back and watch the press clippings pile up. On Oct. 22, Rivenburg at the L.A. Times kicked off the coverage with yet another column that made fun of Uncle Milton for going after Final Curtain. By this point, the site was drawing tens of thousands of hits per day, according to Skaggs.

By mid May, 39 newspapers in Europe and the States, some of which ran AP stories that originated with a story in the Charleston (S.C.) Post and Courier, at least 19 radio stations, 10 magazines, 20 Web sites and six television stations that had all fallen for his hoax. "It was a snowflake into a snowball into an avalanche," Skaggs says.

Two European TV crews inquired about shooting documentaries. A student at the University of Chicago asked to use Final Curtain as the basis of her graduate thesis. And then there were the online businesses and Web rings, which were only slightly more plausible than the Final Curtain. One site, selling itself as "the No. 1-visited cremation site online" offered advertising banner space. A letter from the founder of NetKin, which sells "virtual memorials," invited Final Curtain to become an "associate" site and place "Netkin Memorials" on its site. Final Curtain would take in a chunk of blood money from anyone who bought a memorial. Progressive-minded infidels from Funeral Industry made a few calls, too.

Then a pair of state agencies became intrigued.

In December, New Jersey and Colorado sent letters to the Final Curtain demanding that the site produce financial information or quit soliciting online. A Colorado officer refused to comment on the case, which is apparently ongoing. New Jersey did not return phone calls. Skaggs dismissed both with a polite letter pointing out that he wasn't soliciting any money.

A few months later, he sent out another press release, explaining that the whole thing was a hoax.

As a breed, journalists don't particularly like making mistakes. They like being bamboozled even less. Upon being informed of Skaggs' hoax, some grudgingly admit they were taken.

"I am aware of him and of the tradition of this sort of stunt," says Boston Herald writer Joel Brown, who wrote about Final Curtain in his column "The Web Browser" in October. "Usually they don't seem to be as dedicated. My bullshit detector didn't go off on this one."

Though Brown detected something rotten -- he inserted the following caveat into his story: "In the back of your mind, you have to wonder if the whole thing is just some sort of art-weasel prank, but the New Jersey outfit seems for real." Still, he never made contact with Final Curtain. Nor did he check anything about the organization other than its Web site. He copped to his mistake in his last column.

"We're embarrassed and disappointed," says Mother Jones staffer Alastair Paulin, who wrote a short item about Final Curtain. "This was a really sophisticated prank with a lot of people involved. The fact checker here actually spoke to the same artist [I interviewed]. It makes it tough, even if it smells funny."

So what's the point? Well, Skaggs calls it art. He claims to have a social message. From his press release: "To Joey Skaggs, the death-care industry is a giant corporate scam, exquisitely successful at commercializing death ... Ultimately, it's a waste of space and resources, and a burden to the natural environment at the financial and emotional expense of their clients."

Skaggs' pranks are a bit more graceful than his explanations.

To complete this story, let's incorporate some of Skaggs' words, a few quotes from the journalists who took the bait and a few other proverbs for a more suitable ending.

1. There's a sucker born every minute.

2. "The line between truth and falsehood has become blurred online." -- Village Voice freelancer Jeff Howe.

3. "We're a service industry. We're no different than any other industry." Jay Roberts, Lowe Funeral Home, Burlington, N.C.

4. Don't believe everything you read. ---> LOL! Wasn't this what they wrote also at FL today? Michael's tomb vandalised . And this is what Michael always said also! ;D

5. "It's hard for satire to stay ahead of what's already a bizarre culture. But that makes satire all the more important." -- Skaggs.

6. There is a difference between a prank and a scam. A scammer only wants to rip people off. A prankster wants to make them laugh.

7. Ant Farm is a registered trademark of Uncle Milton Industries, Inc., of Westlake Village, Calif.

8. "Media hoaxing has a bright, promising future. All we can hope is that the hoaxers are smarter than the media." -- Jeff Howe.

9. "No matter how lightweight the story, or how archly it was written, we were presenting it as real." -- Alastair Paulin.

10. No one can resist a good story.
Last Edit: July 13, 2010, 05:41:22 PM by Hazzely
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
May your spirit keep the freedom of a butterfly in spring and your heart be filled always with the joys of simple things. May your essence claim the freshness of the new laid morning dew. All of this...and more...
Forever, http]

Hazzely

double post
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
May your spirit keep the freedom of a butterfly in spring and your heart be filled always with the joys of simple things. May your essence claim the freshness of the new laid morning dew. All of this...and more...
Forever, http]

mumof3

Quote from: "ejay"
I remember jonell star had this in one of her last videos before the movie premiered..but it didnt pan out. I think she hoped it would reveal in the movie. I love jonell and miss her vids. :(

anyways, here he is in an interview You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
so do i her  videos were great and clever
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mumof3

Quote from: "mumof3"
Quote from: "ejay"

so do i her  videos were great and clever
I always wondered if she was asked to be quiet as she wanted to make a big shock video that we all waited for and it didnt happen
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions