Michael and Edgar Allan Poe
February 17, 2010, 12:09:11 AM
I´m a fan of Edgar Allan Poe and Tim Burton....  so when I read this little time after I knew about Michael (and I was terribly sad because I believed his death was real)... I was like "WOW MICHAEL, TIM BURTON AND EGAR ALLAN POE" It´s like a dream..... and I´d never knew Michael liked him too... so I was kind of proud and sad at the same time because it was great but not gonna happen.....

Now reading other post.... this came to my mind again..... and I think is kind of interesting because I remembered that Poe is a hoaxer too.... so I did my research to show you this...

This is the article I found in July...

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Thriller, Nevermore: Michael Jackson’s Tell-Tale Obsession with Edgar Allan Poe
[6 July 2009]

Much has been made of Michael Jackson’s identification with the character of Peter Pan, but the late singer had another literary devotion that didn’t make it into his obituaries: He was an Edgar Allan Poe fanatic and had long planned to star in a biopic about the horror writer.

Called The Nightmares of Edgar Allan Poe, the European-funded vanity project was a dream for the King Of Pop. “Michael says by the time he’s done preparing for this, the audience isn’t even going to know it’s him, with the major makeup,” co-executive producer Gary Pudney told USA Today’s Jeannie Williams in 2000. “The new Michael is Michael Jackson, the movie actor. That is what he wants to devote his energies to.” Jackson pronounced the script as “very scary”, and although the movie was not a musical, he planned to sing a song with lyrics based on Poe’s poetry over the closing credits. Producer Pudney said Jackson had talked to Steven Spielberg about the project, who was enthusiastic and suggested several potential directors, including Tim Burton. Pudney also boasted that the movie, in which characters from Poe’s work came back to haunt the author during the last week of his life, would give Jackson a “great death scene.”

Given Poe’s fear of premature burial, it seemed like more than rote recitation of cliché that the writer might’ve been “rolling over in his grave” at the prospect of being portrayed by Jackson. Indeed, the existence of Nightmares was mind-blowing news, even by the (high? low?) standards of tabloid staple “Wacko Jacko”. It was news that lent itself to jokes: Would he instruct “The Tell-Tale Heart” to “just beat it”? Would “The Raven” be replaced by Bubbles the Chimp?

It was also yet another bizarre turn in the trajectory of Poe’s pop-culture legacy. First an NFL team, the Baltimore Ravens, takes its name from his poem (its raven mascots are named Edgar, Allan, and Poe). Then Poe’s great-great nephew, actor-musician Edgar Allan Poe IV, appeared as the ghost of his great-great uncle on the sitcom Sabrina, the Teenage Witch. Later, a fictionalized Poe was also found sleuthing murders with King of the Wild Frontier Davey Crockett in The Alienist-ish novel Nevermore. But I always understood Jackson’s affinity for Poe, perhaps—no, definitely—because I was once a fifth grade kid obsessed with two people: Michael Jackson and Edgar Allan Poe.

Yes, the racial angle of the MJ casting raised questions, among them: How confused would the late playwright August Wilson have been? But, let’s be honest—casting MJ as Poe was not as problematic as, say, casting El DeBarge as Nathaniel Hawthorne. Whether it’s because of the skin disease vitiligo, cosmetic bleaching, or a combination of both, Jackson’s pallid complexion looks even more Goth than portraits of Poe’s pale visage. The issue here is not casting a black man to play a white man; it was casting an alien mannequin drag queen apparently sculpted out of soap to play a white man.

Below the surface, there were connections between the two cultural icons. Both Jackson and Poe are arguably the most popular American export in their respective fields, and major influences on those who followed. Baudelaire was said to make his morning prayers to God and Edgar Allen Poe, and Justin Timberlake and Usher are obviously both Michael Jackson impersonators moonwalking in MJ’s fleet footsteps.

There was also symmetry to their scandals. They both have been accused of pedophilia—at the very least, they shared a penchant for PYTs: Poe married his 13-year-old cousin Virginia, and Jackson has hosted many a sleepover with 13-year-old boys. Thus their respective sexualities have been wildly speculated about. In a posthumous psychoanalysis of Poe, Dr. Maria Bonaparte theorized that Poe was celibate, entertained thoughts of necrophilia, and suffered from a castration complex (her mentor, Dr. Sigmund Freud provided the preface for this study).

Despite vehement assertions to Diane Sawyer, many said the same (well, minus the necrophilia and castration stuff) of Jackson’s marriages to Lisa Marie Presley and, later, to his plastic surgeon’s nurse, Debbie Rowe, even though they had two children together. (I’d also bet in real-life, that the paternity suit of a certain Billie Jean would’ve been thrown out of court in a hurry.)

Painting by David Gough
They both struggled with financial difficulties despite being among the best at what they did. Many historians say Poe was an opium addict; Jackson revealed he had an addiction to the painkiller Demerol in court papers. They both explored the pull of drugs in their work.

Here’s Poe’s narrator from “Ligeia,” seeing visions of his dead lover: “In the excitement of my opium dream (for I was habitually fettered in the shackles of the drug), I would call aloud her name ...”

Here’s Jackson, from Blood on the Dance Floor‘s “Morphine”:

“Demerol Demerol Oh God he’s taking Demerol
  Hee-hee-hee Demerol Demerol Oh my oh God it’s Demerol
  Hee Oooh”

Then there’s the Vincent Price factor. Price, of course, was the on-screen embodiment of Poe’s work in such Roger Corman films as The Pit and the Pendulum, The Masque of the Red Death, and The Cask of Amontillado. He also provided the rap and maniacal cackle on the title track of Jackson’s Thriller.

But alas, Michael Jackson never ending up playing Poe—at least not in the movie. Sadly, now the haunted figures have another thing in common. They both died young; Poe was 40, Jackson was 50. They were both emaciated, in debt, their bodies abused by chemicals, forever blessed with talent and haunted by demons.

Now while researching I found another article with the same story.... but much older....

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Wednesday, November 10, 1999 Published at 12:52 GMT

Entertainment

Jackson's big screen thrilller

Singer Michael Jackson is on track for his first movie starring role

Pop superstar Michael Jackson is about to play hard-drinking writer Edgar Allan Poe in a big-budget independent thriller, according to a report in a US newspaper.
Industry journal The Hollywood Reporter claims the 41-year-old will take the title role in The Nightmare of Edgar Allan Poe, which will start shooting in Montreal late next year.

Writer Edgar Allan Poe died in 1849
It said the singer "has been looking a long time for the ideal story in which to take his first starring role".

His only movie appearance before now was in 1978 as a supporting actor in The Wiz, which starred Diana Ross.

Jackson will also be an executive producer on the project with Gary L Pudney and Jim Green. It will be funded with cash from France, Germany and Canada.

Poe, who was born in Boston, Massachusetts, died aged 40 in 1849 after a life of misery and madness, and an obsessive fascination with the supernatural.

Jackson (left) as the Scarecrow in 1978's The Wiz
He was best known for his poems, short tales and literary criticism.

The Fall of the House of Usher, written in 1839, was to become one of his most famous stories, while 1841's The Murders in the Rue Morgue is sometimes considered to be the first detective story.

Other stories include The Tell-Tale Heart. while The Raven is one of his acclaimed poems.

Poe has never before been the subject of a major movie biography, though a 20th Century Fox film called The Loves of Edgar Allan Poe was made in 1942, and the writer was a character in a 1951 MGM mystery called The Man with a Cloak.

Writer Philip Levin, who came up with the idea for The Nightmare of Edgar Allen Poe, is said to be writing the screenplay, which will cover the week before Poe's death.

The exact cause of Poe's death, in Baltimore, remains a mystery. Five days earlier, he had been found semi-conscious and delirious: a victim of alcohol, heart failure, epilepsy - or a combination of these.

An this is what you should know about Poe...

Beyond horror, Poe also wrote satires, humor tales, and hoaxes. For comic effect, he used irony and ludicrous extravagance, often in an attempt to liberate the reader from cultural conformity.[78] In fact, "Metzengerstein", the first story that Poe is known to have published,[85] and his first foray into horror, was originally intended as a burlesque satirizing the popular genre.[86] Poe also reinvented science fiction, responding in his writing to emerging technologies such as hot air balloons in "The Balloon-Hoax".[87]

"The Balloon-Hoax" is the title used in collections and anthologies of a newspaper article written by Edgar Allan Poe, first published in 1844. Originally presented as a true story, it detailed European Monck Mason's trip across the Atlantic Ocean in only three days in a gas balloon. It was later revealed as a hoax and the story was retracted two days later.

"The Balloon-Hoax" is like one of Poe's "tales of ratiocination" (such as "The Murders in the Rue Morgue") in reverse: rather than taking things apart to solve a problem, Poe builds up fiction to make it seem true.[9] The story is also an early form of science fiction, specifically responding to the emerging technology of hot air balloons.[10]
Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:08:08 AM by still beLIEve
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Da troot will prevail

MJonmind

Re: Michael and Edgar Allan Poe
February 17, 2010, 01:53:34 AM
Wow, this is a truly amazing post! It's so obvious that MJ was greatly influenced by Edgar Allen Poe. So interesting and needs some real digging and scrutiny. Something that just jumped out at me was the EAP work of "Balloon-hoax". I've long thought that Michael put that family with the boy in the balloon hoax up for it, to test the public's reaction to hoaxes and just to put hoax themes out there, cuz it happened so close to MJ's death, how soon exactly I don't remember, maybe someone does. Michael's love for old film, other music and books (I've heard 10,000 books in his library) have been appearing subtly in his work. My, my, my, my, how I love that MAN and his masterful ways... :P
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 17, 2010, 02:18:23 AM
wow I´ve forgotten about that... you´re right it was on october after Michael "death"..... it´s amazing how everything connects to everything....

And yes.... he is such an incredible man.... I can´t even imagine how interesting it would be to have a talk with him....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Da troot will prevail

February 17, 2010, 07:58:35 AM
Oh wow! great post! I never knew about this! thanx a lot!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

February 17, 2010, 03:16:16 PM
you´re welcome! here is something more about Poe.... and his way of thinking....

Upon its release, "The Murders in the Rue Morgue" and its author were praised for the creation of a new profound novelty.[4] The Pennsylvania Inquirer printed that "it proves Mr Poe to be a man of genius... with an inventive power and skill, of which we know no parallel."[18] Poe, however, downplayed his achievement in a letter to Philip Pendleton Cooke:[19]
These tales of ratiocination owe most of their popularity to being something in a new key. I do not mean to say that they are not ingenious – but people think them more ingenious than they are – on account of their method and air of method.
In the "Murders in the Rue Morgue," for instance, where is the ingenuity in unraveling a web which you yourself... have woven for the express purpose of unraveling?"[5]
Modern readers are occasionally put off by Poe's violation of an implicit narrative convention: The reader should be able to guess the solution as they read. The twist ending, however, is a sign of "bad faith" on Poe's part because readers would not reasonably include an orangutan on their list of potential murderers.[20]
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions