Hello Guys,
I didn't see anything posted about Kriyss Grant talks about MJ.He was the first dancer chosen. Tell me what you think. I will post the link and the article. I found it on MJJC website. He said that MJ saw the way dance, he saw himself in him. I thought Travis Payne said this. When you watch on the DVD about meeting dancers, Travis Payne does state this not MJ.

Local entertainer Kriyss Grant, the first dancer chosen by Michael Jackson for his “This Is It” tour, discusses what it was like working with the “King of Pop.”

On the influence Jackson had on him: “I was really brought up with Michael Jackson. My grandmother bought me ‘Moonwalker,’ [the 1988 film that showed, among other things, Jackson in concert] which is something I watched every day. ... I wanted to be just like that. ... I would always try to perform. If there was a party, a family reunion, anything, I would dance and perform for everyone.”

On his audition: “I was scared. And I didn’t think I was going to get it. But I went. ... It was a three-day audition period. Thousands of dancers [4,000]. Michael came the third day. ... I had never been on tour. I was the newest dancer from Florida. Everyone else was from L.A. and had worked with and danced backup for other artists, so they had that on their resume. I had [MTV’s] ‘Making the Band’ on my résumé.

“Had Michael not been there, I don’t think I would’ve been picked. ... Michael saw me, he saw the feeling in me. I saw him jump up while I was dancing, but I didn’t know what he was reacting to. Later, they told me that he was reacting to me and how he saw himself in me.”

On meeting him for the first time: “When we stepped off the stage to go meet him, he was like the statue on his ‘History’ album. He was dressed in all black, he had the glasses on. And his hands were really big and firm; they took over my entire hand. ... He told me I was amazing. ... I was just staring at him. I think I told him he was awesome. I don’t know.”

On his personality and energy: “Michael was the type of person who would look at you and know, like that, what you were all about. ... He was say certain things like he knew you. He knew I was nervous. He’d tell me to save my energy for the crowd. Always positive, but it was also like [the comments were tailored] to us.
“There were times when I’d feel the energy of the music, feel his energy, and I’d be dancing all out. And he would stop and look at me. I thought maybe I was going too hard, doing too much. But he’d shake his head and smile, like whatever I was doing was a good thing.”

“He was very warm. I’d never felt anything like that. I was so happy. His energy was like no other.”

On rehearsals: “Michael would come in occasionally in the beginning. ... He didn’t start rehearsing with us until we moved to the Staples Center. He was killing it, going full out, doing slides and everything—it was crazy. ... As soon as that music would come on, he’d start killing it. We’d look at each other like, ‘Is he trying to outdo us?’ ... He still had it. He proved that. ... But he was nervous. He was 50, and he hadn’t danced like that in a long time. He had to familiarize his body with all those moves he used to do. I think he was scared; he couldn’t take the stage and appear fragile to us.”

The last rehearsal: “He was his old self. He was interacting with us, giving us suggestions, making changes. In the beginning, he let everyone else run things. Then, he was like, ‘This is my show. We’re going to do it how I want to do it.’ I loved it. That’s something I always wanted to see. I thought he was being taken advantage of in the beginning because he was older. ... And you could tell he had something to say, but he wouldn’t say it. But that last day, he took over.
“He knew what he wanted. The dancers were like, ‘Good, he’s speaking up.’ The dancers had Michael’s back.”

The day Jackson died: “We didn’t know what to do, what to say, where to go. It was this feeling of you finally getting to where you always wanted—of finally making it. And before you get to grasp it, it’s snatched away from you. ... It’s like a tease. I touched it, but did this really happen? I have memories, but there was no time to sit in that moment and really feel the vibe. Everything happened so fast, fast, fast in rehearsals ... And then, it’s all taken away.

“It really hasn’t hit me yet. I know I was a part of it. I know it was a big deal to be a Michael Jackson dancer on the ‘This Is It’ tour that never happened. ... I don’t think it will ever hit me.”
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "techdiva"
Hello Guys,
On rehearsals: “Michael would come in occasionally in the beginning. ... He didn’t start rehearsing with us until we moved to the Staples Center. He was killing it, going full out, doing slides and everything—it was crazy. ... ”

how interesting! Now we have confirmation that the scenes in TII were in fact shot in the span of a few days, seeing as they didnt move to staptles until june 22nd or so...
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "ballongiraf"
Hello Guys,
On rehearsals: “Michael would come in occasionally in the beginning. ... He didn’t start rehearsing with us until we moved to the Staples Center. He was killing it, going full out, doing slides and everything—it was crazy. ... ”

how interesting! Now we have confirmation that the scenes in TII were in fact shot in the span of a few days, seeing as they didnt move to staptles until june 22nd or so...

This is kind of proof MJ made TII for a movie only.This was to be the biggest comeback of all time and MJ only showed up in late June and the concerts were starting in early July, you'd imagine for this kind of comeback MJ would be rehearsing for months beforehand.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
“The greatest education in the world is watching the masters at work.”

the arabian nights

Hello Guys,

i never knew that they only moved to staples on 22nd

i saw a show during the first few days when they were somewhere other than the staples centre

so he only worked at the staples for 22, 23, and the 24th

no can that be right he had more than 3 outfits i thought someone said he had 12 outfits or something  and questioned that.

well how many hours of footage thought it was something like 100 hours or more not sure how does that work - suppose mostly non mj
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "the arabian nights"
Hello Guys,

i never knew that they only moved to staples on 22nd

i saw a show during the first few days when they were somewhere other than the staples centre

so he only worked at the staples for 22, 23, and the 24th

no can that be right he had more than 3 outfits i thought someone said he had 12 outfits or something  and questioned that.

well how many hours of footage thought it was something like 100 hours or more not sure how does that work - suppose mostly non mj

i wonder if MJ was rehearsing by himself then joined the dancers later. The back up singer and dancers seemed good to go in my opinion - they knew their stuff and seemed ready for the show. All that was left was for MJ to add the finishing touches. Did Kenny say that they had 100 of hours of MJ rehearsing or just rehearsals in general? it's all in the wording!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Where there is L.O.V.E I\'ll be there

the arabian nights

i was just thinking - what an ego that guy has got - what does he mean - was mike trying to out do them -

disgusting ego
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

the arabian nights

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

FEATURESFilter by:NewsInterviewsTrailersMovie ClipsReviews      Matt’s Picks for the 82nd Annual Academy Awards Fan Made THE FIRST AVENGER: CAPTAIN AMERICA Movie Posters PRECIOUS Has Huge Night at Independent Spirit Awards ALICE IN WONDERLAND Review New IRON MAN 2 Trailer Premiering on Jimmy Kimmel Live After the Academy Awards Sunday NightExclusive: Director Kenny Ortega Says Expect 2 to 3 Hours of Additional Footage on THIS IS IT DVD/Blu-ray
by Steve 'Frosty' Weintraub    Posted:October 31st, 2009 at 10:29 am

A few days ago I got to speak with director Kenny Ortega for Michael Jackson’s “This Is It” as a reporter for our partner’s at Omelete.  Since Ortega has spoken at great length about the project to other websites and media outlets, I tried to ask some news questions.  The main thing I wanted to know was since they had shot around 100 hours of footage when documenting the rehearsals, how much additional footage could fans expect to see on the eventual DVD/Blu-ray.  According to Ortega, we’re going to get between two and three hours of additional footage.  He also told me it won’t be added into the movie like a director’s cut but will be part of the extras section.  And for people wondering when it’ll be released, he says early next year.  Watch the full interview after the jump:

Kenny Ortega

•Has he ever been to Brazil
•Did anyone help him decide what to use from the 100 hours of footage
•What will be on the DVD/Blu-ray - says early next year it will be released and there will be 2 or 3 hours of additional footage
•Says the movie will be as is and all the additional footage will be a separate section of the DVD
•What is he doing next
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

the arabian nights

here are some comments from amazon

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

Editorial Reviews
Amazon.co.uk Review
It's hard not to watch This Is It without feeling a mixture of sorrow and elation. When he passed away in the summer of 2009, Michael Jackson was in the midst of rehearsals for his final tour, an ambitious 50-date engagement. In editing 120 hours of rehearsal footage together, Jackson producer Kenny Ortega proves that it would've been an event for the ages. Michael performs material that spans his career, from a Motown medley to multi-platinum hits from Off the Wall, Thriller, and Bad. Though he hadn't toured in 10 years, it becomes instantly apparent, despite rumours to the contrary, that Jackson was still in full possession of that unmistakable voice--high-pitched whoops and all--and that he still had the gravity-defying moves of a man half his age. Jackson and Ortega also collaborated on some real showstoppers, such as a graveyard-set "Thriller"; an imposing "They Don't Care About Us," in which several dancers appear to morph into thousands; and a film noir sequence in which the singer slides in and out of Gilda and other black-and-white classics, singing "Smooth Criminal" all the while. Not everything works, like the Jackson 5 numbers, in which he flubs a few lyrics, claiming that his earpiece isn't working properly, but as he readily acknowledges, "That's what rehearsal is for." It's a tragedy that he didn't get the chance to share this dazzling show with the world, but Ortega allows fans to feel as if it actually happened--at least onscreen. --Kathleen C. Fennessy

DVD Description
Michael Jackson's This Is It is a rare, behind-the-scenes look at the performer as he developed, created and rehearsed for his sold-out concerts at London’s O2 Arena.

Chronicling the months from April through June 2009, this film was produced with the full support of the Estate of Michael Jackson and drawn from more than one hundred hours of behind-the-scenes footage, featuring Jackson rehearsing a number of his songs for the show. In raw and candid detail, Michael Jackson’s This Is It captures the singer, dancer, filmmaker, architect, creative genius and great artist at work as he creates and perfects his planned final London shows.

DVD Special Features

Disc One:
• European release only: "The Unfinished Rehearsals" featurette
Kenny Ortega and Production Designer Michael Cotton reveal two show-stopping concepts for This Is It which never made it to the big screen.
• "Staging the Return: The Adventure Begins" Making-of Documentary
This in-depth documentary reveals Michael Jackson’s unique, groundbreaking vision for his ambitious return to the stage, with director Kenny Ortega and the entire crew from This Is It.
• "Staging the Return: Beyond the Show" Making-of Documentary
Director Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It discuss Michael Jackson's final rehearsals, and the purpose behind creating the concert film.
• "The Gloved One" Costumes Featurette
Costume Designer Zaldy reveals the elaborate new costumes created for Michael Jackson to wear on the This Is It tour.
• "Memories of Michael" Featurette
Kenny Ortega and the crew of This Is It share personal stories about working with Michael Jackson, and how they will remember their friend.
• "Auditions: Searching for the World's Best Dancers" Featurette
A look at the high-stakes audition process, which began with over 5,000 applicants and ended with the selection of 11 exceptionally talented dancers.
• Theatrical Trailer

Disc Two:
• Meet the Dancers
Meet each of the 11 dancers chosen among thousands to dance with Michael Jackson on his This Is It tour.
• Meet the Band
Go behind the scenes with the band members chosen to perform on the This Is It tour with Michael Jackson
• Meet the Vocalists
Go behind the scenes with the vocalists selected to sing with Michael Jackson on the This Is It Tour

Stills from Michael Jackson: This Is It (Click for larger image)

Synopsis
Legendary musical superstar Michael Jackson takes the stage one last time in this theatrical concert film compiled from over 100 hours of rehearsal footage for the 50 shows he had been scheduled to perform at London's O2 arena at the time of his death. Take a trip behind the scenes to see the mastermind behind such classic pop hits as 'Thriller' and 'Billie Jean' prepare for the concert that would have crowned his entire career. Produced in collaboration with the Estate of Michael Jackson, the film details the elaborate preparations that took place for two months beginning in April of 2009.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Customer Reviews
The greatest concert the World will never see
I went to the cinema with genuine discomfort at the motivations for releasing this film. Would it be yet another exploitation of Jackson's legacy? Another shot at raking in money from his name? Could rehearsal footage be of any interest? Did I really want to see a skeletal drug-addict shamble around? But my children really wanted to see the film, and I had promised them a treat following their exams so I was beholden to taking them. I was not looking forward to seeing "This Is It" and I am not a nutty fan.

In short, Kenny Ortega has produced a staggering film. Admittedly, there is some sycophancy from some of the dancers (only in the opening sequence) and Jackson is not giving a full-on stage performance (remember - it's a rehearsal!), but... Wow! Even when operating at 70%, Jackson's stagecraft, voice and dancing are miles ahead of anyone performing today. This 50 year old man shows everyone how it should be done.

"This Is It" cannot be pigeon-holed. It is not a movie. It is not a concert. It is not a documentary. The footage was shot for Jackson's personal collection. However, Ortega has compiled a compelling and amazing film.

The sheer scale of the concerts, the preparation required, the rigs, the video sequences... this would have been the greatest comeback in the history of pop. I know I sound like Elizabeth Taylor here, but I am pretty critical. If you see my other reviews, I don't dole out 5 stars willy-nilly.

For all the negativity I have read about this film, I cannot agree that Jackson looked weak. He was certainly thin, but he was more than able to perform the moves. He was saving his voice, so didn't belt out every song, but that's the norm for rehearsals - and even with so much in reserve, he sounds incredible. Of course, Ortega might have edited it favourably for Jackson's posterity, but this is no bad thing for the viewer. There is no mawkish focus on watching Jackson wither. If Sony and AEG are cynically exploiting Jackson's memory, it doesn't feel like it on watching the film. I would urge you not to deny yourself the opportunity to see this film because of the bad press it has received from some (I would say, uninformed) corners. If you were ever a fan of Jackson's music, you are in for a treat with this film.

"This Is It" is without doubt one of the very best cinematic experiences I have ever had.

The World was denied a once in a generation event. Having seen this film, I have no doubt that had Jackson lived to perform the concerts, his reputation as the greatest entertainer of his generation, and perhaps all-time, would have been secured.

5 Stars for the film but 2 for the extras.
Obviously the films 5 stars. No question.

But if your buying the two disc special edition your buying this for the extras also.. Although they're great... they're not what I was hoping for.. I heard there was going to be 6 hours and loads of extra footage of Michael.

There basically isn't ANY extra footage of Michael! Everything of MJ is in the film.. the extra footage is just mini docs about the costumes or the staging or the dancers or meeting the band etc etc.. with lots of talking heads from the producers, musicians etc etc..

If your hoping for an unedited version or two of say one whole run through of smooth criminal or whichever track, the extras here don't feature any such treat.

There is hardly any, if any, extra MJ performance footage in the extras!!!

We do see things like the planned ending for the show explained.. and the costume doc explaining and showing what was planned for the Billie Jean costume is great - I wonder actually why these two bits weren't in the actual film..? - really fascinating.

Obviously as I say the film is great, and as a fan I would never not buy the 2 disc version.. just thought I'd give people a heads up that the extras.. although great.. probably won't thrill you as much as you hope... Hundreds of hours of material were shot during rehearsals.. and none extra were put on these discs!!! :(

The second disc actually just has on it three mini docs. Meet the Band, Meet the Dancers and Meet the Vocalists... sums it up really.. all just a bit of a con.

If you buy this you want to see extra MJ right? here you get extras interviews with the producers.. There's a Kenny Ortega interview on youtube from last year almost promising extra footage, what happened?? I suppose they're planning on flogging this further and releasing another DVD in a year or so...?

History in the making

I went to the cinema to see "This is It" last week and knew at once that I would have to own it on DVD. I did my growing up with Michael Jacksons music over the years and this movie proved to me that he still had it at 50. At times when watching it you almost feel that you are looking at a concert and I found myself smiling at some of the things that were been said on stage as if he was really still here.

I left the cinema with mixed emotions but the one question in my mind was "What happened to him" he was so ready for the O2 concerts.

If you are into Michael Jacksons music, dancing, professionalism etc., then you dont want to miss this chance to own the last footage of a great star in action.

Support the Dictionary! Buy Amazon stuff here
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

the arabian nights

is this grief or selfishness

The day Jackson died: “We didn’t know what to do, what to say, where to go. It was this feeling of you finally getting to where you always wanted—of finally making it. And before you get to grasp it, it’s snatched away from you. ... It’s like a tease. I touched it, but did this really happen? I have memories, but there was no time to sit in that moment and really feel the vibe. Everything happened so fast, fast, fast in rehearsals ... And then, it’s all taken away.

i am so shocked, can he not hear what he sounds like - no wonder their all smiling at the memorial
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions