NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • 201 Replies
  • 7416 Views

0 Members and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Disco

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 286
    • Show only replies by Disco

NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 10:07:54 PM
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
Its All For L.O.V.E

somekindofsign

  • *
  • Guest
    • Show only replies by somekindofsign

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 10:15:58 PM
That´s really extrange since MJ was waiting for the contract to expire and just wanted to give them a collection album with one or two new songs. (his own words)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GirlSaturday

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 1020
    • Show only replies by GirlSaturday

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 10:29:06 PM
$ONY is going to make a lot of money off of Michael Jackson for many years to come.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline voiceforthesilent

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 5485
    • Show only replies by voiceforthesilent

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 10:48:00 PM
I don't know what to think but my heart is unsettled reading this. Sony? Weren't there other labels out there interested a partnership with Michael? What about Michael himself? Did he really need a label to sell his music?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »
I'm proud to be a child of God and a member of MJ's Army of L.O.V.E.
 
"Press coverage of my life is like [watching] a fictitious movie...like watching science fiction. It's not true." ~Michael Jackson (2005)

"You should not believe everything you read. You are missing the most important revelations". Craig Harvey 3-15-2012

Offline mikestanek1

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 123
    • Show only replies by mikestanek1

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 10:55:24 PM
Maybe this is a good thing?  I'm not really too sure.  How do we know that he wasn't the one that pushed for this deal to happen.  To all of us the estate could just mean the estate where as it's really MJ himself, but to the public it has to say estate, and maybe even to sony it's just the estate.  He could just keep releasing music for years and stay in hiding for years.  You never know
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ~Souza~

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Hoaxer
  • *****
  • Mrs. SEHF
  • Posts: 10067
    • Show only replies by ~Souza~
    • Michael Jackson Death Hoax Investigators

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:02:52 PM
Quote
Michael Jackson Estate Inks Record, Record Deal
Posted Mar 15th 2010 10:49PM by TMZ Staff

TMZ has confirmed the Michael Jackson estate has signed the biggest deal ever in music -- worth up to $250 million with a guarantee of $200 million.

The estate made the deal with Sony Music Entertainment. According to the Associated Press, the contract is for 10 projects over 7 years.

One album will debut in November, which contains never-before released recordings. We're told Jackson left enough material for at least 3 albums.


Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/03/15/michael-j ... z0iIxFx7GY


That is pretty interesting.

First of all: 7 years? That's a weird period for a contract...

And MJ left enough for 3 albums, so how are they going to fill the other 7 albums?

Contract worth 250 million: 2+5 = another 7...

Coincidence? [/color]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GirlSaturday

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 1020
    • Show only replies by GirlSaturday

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:05:05 PM
The Jackson Estate made the deal with $ONY. John Branca and John McClane are executors of the estate and in charge according to the will.  To receive an advance of  $200 million, then it would have to be a major label.

$ONY is the pitbull that has had it's teeth sunk firmly into this since June 25th. You're not alone, the article made me think unsettling thoughts too.

Quote from: "voiceforthesilent"
I don't know what to think but my heart is unsettled reading this. Sony? Weren't there other labels out there interested a partnership with Michael? What about Michael himself? Did he really need a label to sell his music?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GirlSaturday

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 1020
    • Show only replies by GirlSaturday

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:09:13 PM
Interesting just enough to fill 3...

My favorite record executive Tommy Motolla  gave the impression that there were 100s of songs. He made this revelation when he was singing MJs praises on GMA after MJs death.  

Quote from: "~Souza~"
Quote
Michael Jackson Estate Inks Record, Record Deal
Posted Mar 15th 2010 10:49PM by TMZ Staff

TMZ has confirmed the Michael Jackson estate has signed the biggest deal ever in music -- worth up to $250 million with a guarantee of $200 million.

The estate made the deal with Sony Music Entertainment. According to the Associated Press, the contract is for 10 projects over 7 years.

One album will debut in November, which contains never-before released recordings. We're told Jackson left enough material for at least 3 albums.


Read more: http://www.tmz.com/2010/03/15/michael-j ... z0iIxFx7GY


That is pretty interesting.

First of all: 7 years? That's a weird period for a contract...

And MJ left enough for 3 albums, so how are they going to fill the other 7 albums?

Contract worth 250 million: 2+5 = another 7...

Coincidence? [/color]
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline KingofPop4ever

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 100
    • Show only replies by KingofPop4ever

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:10:20 PM
Hmm... I'm getting tired of ''coincidences.'' This 7 thing is just getting weirder and weirder...
I guess ''beware the ides of March'' is true.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 11:12:46 PM by KingofPop4ever »

Offline ~Souza~

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Hoaxer
  • *****
  • Mrs. SEHF
  • Posts: 10067
    • Show only replies by ~Souza~
    • Michael Jackson Death Hoax Investigators

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:10:52 PM
Quote from: "GirlSaturday"
The Jackson Estate made the deal with $ONY. John Branca and John McClane are executors of the estate and in charge according to the will.  To receive an advance of  $200 million, then it would have to be a major label.

$ONY is the pitbull that has had it's teeth sunk firmly into this since June 25th. You're not alone, the article made me think unsettling thoughts too.

Quote from: "voiceforthesilent"
I don't know what to think but my heart is unsettled reading this. Sony? Weren't there other labels out there interested a partnership with Michael? What about Michael himself? Did he really need a label to sell his music?


Something tells me this might not be that bad. Sony got the deal for the movie, without having the highest bid. There must be a reason why Sony gets all the deals. Either they are of use one way or the other, or they will be screwed big time.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline lovemj4everandever

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 573
    • Show only replies by lovemj4everandever

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:19:02 PM
OMG! This is GREAT NEWS!  Contract for 10 albums over 7 years and he left behind enough for 3!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:   They could never, never, never recoup those costs by putting out 7 more compilations to make a total of 10 albums!    We've had nothing but compilations for years!  This SHOW gets better every day!    :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

Hurry back, Michael!  You owe us seven more albums besides the three already from the grave!    :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

this1crazygirl

  • *
  • Guest
    • Show only replies by this1crazygirl

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:22:02 PM
Quote from: "mikestanek1"
Maybe this is a good thing?  I'm not really too sure.  How do we know that he wasn't the one that pushed for this deal to happen.  To all of us the estate could just mean the estate where as it's really MJ himself, but to the public it has to say estate, and maybe even to sony it's just the estate.  He could just keep releasing music for years and stay in hiding for years.  You never know
8-)  I think I like that
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline neversaynever

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 362
    • Show only replies by neversaynever

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:22:19 PM
Quote from: "~Souza~"
Quote from: "GirlSaturday"
The Jackson Estate made the deal with $ONY. John Branca and John McClane are executors of the estate and in charge according to the will.  To receive an advance of  $200 million, then it would have to be a major label.

$ONY is the pitbull that has had it's teeth sunk firmly into this since June 25th. You're not alone, the article made me think unsettling thoughts too.

Quote from: "voiceforthesilent"
I don't know what to think but my heart is unsettled reading this. Sony? Weren't there other labels out there interested a partnership with Michael? What about Michael himself? Did he really need a label to sell his music?


Something tells me this might not be that bad. Sony got the deal for the movie, without having the highest bid. There must be a reason why Sony gets all the deals. Either they are of use one way or the other, or they will be screwed big time.




I totally agree with you. And this "Sony" issue has been on my mind since the beginning. Why them? He hated them! There is a reason behind it - you are right. The story is hitting the news as we speak on our local Miami news.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline mikestanek1

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 123
    • Show only replies by mikestanek1

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:26:32 PM
Quote from: "this1crazygirl"
Quote from: "mikestanek1"
Maybe this is a good thing?  I'm not really too sure.  How do we know that he wasn't the one that pushed for this deal to happen.  To all of us the estate could just mean the estate where as it's really MJ himself, but to the public it has to say estate, and maybe even to sony it's just the estate.  He could just keep releasing music for years and stay in hiding for years.  You never know
8-)  I think I like that

Thanks crazy girl =P  It was kind of hard to understand but I'm glad you agree and like it
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline neversaynever

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 362
    • Show only replies by neversaynever

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:31:02 PM
Again, he broke another record. They are saying this is the biggest deal ever and there will be an "official" announcement tomorrow.  HA!  The man continues to kick %ss! 8-)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline MJsFan4Ever

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 334
    • Show only replies by MJsFan4Ever

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:36:10 PM
Yeah me too I also think there is a meaning behind all this Why Sony? Only MJ knows  :D
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GirlSaturday

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 1020
    • Show only replies by GirlSaturday

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:54:00 PM
Good job. You guys are on a roll in terms of sorting this out. I just peeked at TMZ and saw their version of the announcement. What do you make of this statement: A source tells TMZ the royalty rate on foreign sales is the key to the deal -- and 2/3 of the sales of MJ records traditionally have been outside the U.S.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0iJAhry2z

I do have another question that perhaps someone else has thought about. 10 releases over 7 years. MJ never released back to back music that fast. He had larger gaps between releases. What are your thoughts behind the strategy there? We could still be enjoying one release and then get hit with another.

 :?:  :ugeek:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

this1crazygirl

  • *
  • Guest
    • Show only replies by this1crazygirl

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:57:40 PM
Quote from: "neversaynever"
Again, he broke another record. They are saying this is the biggest deal ever and there will be an "official" announcement tomorrow.  HA!  The man continues to kick %ss! 8-)

 :)  you're kidding me right?  :)  :D  :lol:  ;) ooo my boo crazy just like me LOL  :lol:

"everytime i see you walkin down the street so pretty... go on with ya BAD self LOL singing to myself  ;)
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline lovemj4everandever

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 573
    • Show only replies by lovemj4everandever

The SONY DEAL WAS SIGNED IN 2008!

  • on: March 15, 2010, 11:59:44 PM
Look at the tagline....A TWO YEAR extension would make it 2019!  NOT 2017!  The deal was signed in 2008!!!!!!!

From the article...

"And we're told Sony gets a two-year extension for the right to distribute the Michael Jackson catalog -- to 2017."  And contracts ARE NOT retrospective to go back and cover something that has already been released like the 2-disc CD for This Is It!  Now the "always good to sing with my brother" is making sense!  OMG! This gets better every day!  

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0iJBw3iAD

WE KNEW IT ALL ALONG!  That is when he contacted DiLeo about making a movie, in 2008, the kind of movie that had never been done before!   LMAO!  

What a freakin' GENIUS!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ~Souza~

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Hoaxer
  • *****
  • Mrs. SEHF
  • Posts: 10067
    • Show only replies by ~Souza~
    • Michael Jackson Death Hoax Investigators

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 16, 2010, 12:01:48 AM
Quote from: "GirlSaturday"
Good job. You guys are on a roll in terms of sorting this out. I just peeked at TMZ and saw their version of the announcement. What do you make of this statement: A source tells TMZ the royalty rate on foreign sales is the key to the deal -- and 2/3 of the sales of MJ records traditionally have been outside the U.S.

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0iJAhry2z

I do have another question that perhaps someone else has thought about. 10 releases over 7 years. MJ never released back to back music that fast. He had larger gaps between releases. What are your thoughts behind the strategy there? We could still be enjoying one release and then get hit with another.

 :?:  :ugeek:

That's one every 8.4 months.... I can't make anything of that now...
Of course the releases don't have to be all music.

I have to think more, I'll try to get back on it later, my head hurts....
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ~Souza~

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Hoaxer
  • *****
  • Mrs. SEHF
  • Posts: 10067
    • Show only replies by ~Souza~
    • Michael Jackson Death Hoax Investigators

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 16, 2010, 12:04:23 AM
Thinking out loud here...

3 albums in 7 years is quite normal. Leaves 7 projects, one every year...what returns every year?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline Hoaxornot

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 100
    • Show only replies by Hoaxornot

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 16, 2010, 12:07:20 AM
I thought Sony were the bad guys
So why a deal with them?

7 years is a normal lenght for a contract in music or motion picture industry
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline GirlSaturday

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 1020
    • Show only replies by GirlSaturday

Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael

  • on: March 16, 2010, 12:09:58 AM
credit Wall Street Journal. I didn't want to start a new thread even though this gives more detail for the record deal.

By ETHAN SMITH
Months after his death, Michael Jackson set a music-industry record, thanks to a deal between his estate and Sony Corp. valued at as much as $250 million, according to people familiar with the terms.


.The deal—touted by both Sony and Mr. Jackson's estate as the most lucrative recording contract ever— guarantees the estate at least $200 million. With 10 albums over seven years, the deal will involve a mix of previously unreleased songs and new packages of familiar ones.

The dollar amount is especially striking against the backdrop of the music industry as a whole, in which U.S. album sales have plunged 52% in a decade. Superstar deals worth tens of millions of dollars per album were rare even at the peak of the CD-sales boom in the late 1990s. Yet it also underscores that the biggest acts are becoming even more essential to record labels, as individual fans purchase fewer albums each year.
 
Sony has sold an estimated 31 million Jackson albums since his death.
.Since Mr. Jackson's death on June 25, Sony has sold an estimated 31 million of his albums globally. By the first anniversary of his death, his estate expects to have earned $250 million from sales of music, merchandise and tickets to the posthumous concert film "This Is It."

The advances being paid by Sony are to be offset by sales of albums as well as revenue generated by licensing Mr. Jackson's music for uses like videogames, movies and theatrical performances. But unlike the megadeals struck in recent years by concert promoter Live Nation Entertainment Inc. with pop stars Jay-Z and Madonna, the Jackson deal doesn't give Sony income from other parts of the late singer's business, such as merchandise sales or fees for licensing his name and likeness.

In an interview, Rob Stringer, chairman of Sony Music Entertainment's Columbia/Epic Label Group, said that his company was confident it would more than recoup its hefty investment, which he characterized as more than just a record deal.

"We see it as a partnership," Mr. Stringer said.

The deal should give Mr. Jackson's heirs plenty of breathing room with respect to the crushing debt load he had built up in his final years. With his album sales dwindling and concert touring ground to a halt, Mr. Jackson borrowed heavily to finance his lavish lifestyle.

.The estate is likely to pay off about $125 million in debt by the end of this year, including $35 million owed to AEG Live, the promoter that was to stage a series of concerts by Mr. Jackson in London. The estate is likely to refinance another $325 million backed by Mr. Jackson's two biggest assets: Sony/ATV Music Publishing, his venture with Sony that owns copyrights to 251 Beatles songs; and his 2,600-acre Neverland Valley Ranch outside Santa Barbara, Calif.

A $300 million loan backed by Sony/ATV and held by Barclays PLC matures at the end of the year, and before Mr. Jackson's death it loomed as a major financial challenge.

In striking the deal, Sony is betting that the appetite for Mr. Jackson's music will prove more than just a spike generated by his unexpected death and the ensuing round-the-clock coverage. A record contract struck in the early 1980s gave Mr. Jackson ownership of his recordings. Sony had the right to distribute those recordings through 2015. The new deal extends that right until 2017, and adds the rights to material recorded since then.

The new deal, like the one from the 1980s, was negotiated by John Branca, Mr. Jackson's long-time lawyer and now an administrator of the estate.

The deal retroactively covers the soundtrack album to "This Is It," plus a range of other releases, some of which have been mapped out, with others to be determined later. An album of previously unreleased songs is likely to hit stores before the end of this year, and another collection is due out later. The deal is also likely to cover expanded reissues of Mr. Jackson's albums "Off the Wall" and "Bad," as well as collections of remixes. A DVD of all of Mr. Jackson's music videos is likely to be created at some point.

Speculation has circulated that Cirque du Soleil would create a Las Vegas show based on Mr. Jackson's music, as it already has done with Beatles' music. If it does, a soundtrack album of some kind would likely be part of the deal.

The estate could probably wipe out the debts entirely by selling its half of Sony/ATV, although such a drastic step is viewed as unlikely now that Mr. Jackson's posthumous business is generating so much cash.

Mr. Jackson acquired ATV for $47.5 million in 1985. Sony in 1995 paid $150 million to become a 50% partner in the venture. Mr. Jackson's half is now valued at at least $1 billion.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline ~Souza~

  • *
  • Administrator
  • Hoaxer
  • *****
  • Mrs. SEHF
  • Posts: 10067
    • Show only replies by ~Souza~
    • Michael Jackson Death Hoax Investigators

Re: The SONY DEAL WAS SIGNED IN 2008!

  • on: March 16, 2010, 12:11:09 AM
Quote from: "lovemj4everandever"
Look at the tagline....A TWO YEAR extension would make it 2019!  NOT 2017!  The deal was signed in 2008!!!!!!!

From the article...

"And we're told Sony gets a two-year extension for the right to distribute the Michael Jackson catalog -- to 2017."  And contracts ARE NOT retrospective to go back and cover something that has already been released like the 2-disc CD for This Is It!  Now the "always good to sing with my brother" is making sense!  OMG! This gets better every day!  

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0iJBw3iAD

WE KNEW IT ALL ALONG!  That is when he contacted DiLeo about making a movie, in 2008, the kind of movie that had never been done before!   LMAO!  

What a freakin' GENIUS!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So if that is true, can we all count how many projects are finished already?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

Offline lovemj4everandever

  • *
  • Hoaxer
  • Posts: 573
    • Show only replies by lovemj4everandever

Re: The SONY DEAL WAS SIGNED IN 2008!

  • on: March 16, 2010, 12:14:18 AM
Quote from: "~Souza~"
Quote from: "lovemj4everandever"
Look at the tagline....A TWO YEAR extension would make it 2019!  NOT 2017!  The deal was signed in 2008!!!!!!!

From the article...

"And we're told Sony gets a two-year extension for the right to distribute the Michael Jackson catalog -- to 2017."  And contracts ARE NOT retrospective to go back and cover something that has already been released like the 2-disc CD for This Is It!  Now the "always good to sing with my brother" is making sense!  OMG! This gets better every day!  

Read more: http://www.tmz.com/#ixzz0iJBw3iAD

WE KNEW IT ALL ALONG!  That is when he contacted DiLeo about making a movie, in 2008, the kind of movie that had never been done before!   LMAO!  

What a freakin' GENIUS!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:

So if that is true, can we all count how many projects are finished already?

Well the CD for This is It, the Motion picture, and the DVD for This is it makes three already!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by Guest »

 

Related Topics

  Subject / Started by Replies Last post
5 Replies
960 Views
Last post February 02, 2010, 03:23:57 AM
by teine21
1 Replies
294 Views
Last post March 15, 2010, 11:11:38 PM
by ~Souza~
6 Replies
498 Views
Last post March 19, 2010, 03:39:11 AM
by ZIsis
2 Replies
314 Views
Last post March 16, 2010, 05:09:20 PM
by somekindofsign
16 Replies
850 Views
Last post March 23, 2010, 06:37:59 AM
by MashMike