Re: NEW Record Deal for Michael
March 15, 2010, 10:36:10 PM
Yeah me too I also think there is a meaning behind all this Why Sony? Only MJ knows  :D
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

March 15, 2010, 10:54:00 PM
Good job. You guys are on a roll in terms of sorting this out. I just peeked at TMZ and saw their version of the announcement. What do you make of this statement: A source tells TMZ the royalty rate on foreign sales is the key to the deal -- and 2/3 of the sales of MJ records traditionally have been outside the U.S.

Read more: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

I do have another question that perhaps someone else has thought about. 10 releases over 7 years. MJ never released back to back music that fast. He had larger gaps between releases. What are your thoughts behind the strategy there? We could still be enjoying one release and then get hit with another.

:?:  :ugeek:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

this1crazygirl

March 15, 2010, 10:57:40 PM
Quote from: "neversaynever"
Again, he broke another record. They are saying this is the biggest deal ever and there will be an "official" announcement tomorrow.  HA!  The man continues to kick %ss! 8-)

:)  you're kidding me right?  :)  :D  :lol:  ;) ooo my boo crazy just like me LOL  :lol:

"everytime i see you walkin down the street so pretty... go on with ya BAD self LOL singing to myself  ;)
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

The SONY DEAL WAS SIGNED IN 2008!
March 15, 2010, 10:59:44 PM
Look at the tagline....A TWO YEAR extension would make it 2019!  NOT 2017!  The deal was signed in 2008!!!!!!!

From the article...

"And we're told Sony gets a two-year extension for the right to distribute the Michael Jackson catalog -- to 2017."  And contracts ARE NOT retrospective to go back and cover something that has already been released like the 2-disc CD for This Is It!  Now the "always good to sing with my brother" is making sense!  OMG! This gets better every day!  

WE KNEW IT ALL ALONG!  That is when he contacted DiLeo about making a movie, in 2008, the kind of movie that had never been done before!   LMAO!  

What a freakin' GENIUS!   :lol:  :lol:  :lol:  :lol:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

~Souza~

March 15, 2010, 11:01:48 PM
Quote from: "GirlSaturday"
Good job. You guys are on a roll in terms of sorting this out. I just peeked at TMZ and saw their version of the announcement. What do you make of this statement: A source tells TMZ the royalty rate on foreign sales is the key to the deal -- and 2/3 of the sales of MJ records traditionally have been outside the U.S.

I do have another question that perhaps someone else has thought about. 10 releases over 7 years. MJ never released back to back music that fast. He had larger gaps between releases. What are your thoughts behind the strategy there? We could still be enjoying one release and then get hit with another.

:?:  :ugeek:

That's one every 8.4 months.... I can't make anything of that now...
Of course the releases don't have to be all music.

I have to think more, I'll try to get back on it later, my head hurts....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

March 15, 2010, 11:04:23 PM
Thinking out loud here...

3 albums in 7 years is quite normal. Leaves 7 projects, one every year...what returns every year?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 15, 2010, 11:07:20 PM
I thought Sony were the bad guys
So why a deal with them?

7 years is a normal lenght for a contract in music or motion picture industry
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 15, 2010, 11:09:58 PM
credit Wall Street Journal. I didn't want to start a new thread even though this gives more detail for the record deal.

By ETHAN SMITH
Months after his death, Michael Jackson set a music-industry record, thanks to a deal between his estate and Sony Corp. valued at as much as $250 million, according to people familiar with the terms.

.The deal—touted by both Sony and Mr. Jackson's estate as the most lucrative recording contract ever— guarantees the estate at least $200 million. With 10 albums over seven years, the deal will involve a mix of previously unreleased songs and new packages of familiar ones.

The dollar amount is especially striking against the backdrop of the music industry as a whole, in which U.S. album sales have plunged 52% in a decade. Superstar deals worth tens of millions of dollars per album were rare even at the peak of the CD-sales boom in the late 1990s. Yet it also underscores that the biggest acts are becoming even more essential to record labels, as individual fans purchase fewer albums each year.

Sony has sold an estimated 31 million Jackson albums since his death.
.Since Mr. Jackson's death on June 25, Sony has sold an estimated 31 million of his albums globally. By the first anniversary of his death, his estate expects to have earned $250 million from sales of music, merchandise and tickets to the posthumous concert film "This Is It."

The advances being paid by Sony are to be offset by sales of albums as well as revenue generated by licensing Mr. Jackson's music for uses like videogames, movies and theatrical performances. But unlike the megadeals struck in recent years by concert promoter Live Nation Entertainment Inc. with pop stars Jay-Z and Madonna, the Jackson deal doesn't give Sony income from other parts of the late singer's business, such as merchandise sales or fees for licensing his name and likeness.

In an interview, Rob Stringer, chairman of Sony Music Entertainment's Columbia/Epic Label Group, said that his company was confident it would more than recoup its hefty investment, which he characterized as more than just a record deal.

"We see it as a partnership," Mr. Stringer said.

The deal should give Mr. Jackson's heirs plenty of breathing room with respect to the crushing debt load he had built up in his final years. With his album sales dwindling and concert touring ground to a halt, Mr. Jackson borrowed heavily to finance his lavish lifestyle.

.The estate is likely to pay off about $125 million in debt by the end of this year, including $35 million owed to AEG Live, the promoter that was to stage a series of concerts by Mr. Jackson in London. The estate is likely to refinance another $325 million backed by Mr. Jackson's two biggest assets: Sony/ATV Music Publishing, his venture with Sony that owns copyrights to 251 Beatles songs; and his 2,600-acre Neverland Valley Ranch outside Santa Barbara, Calif.

A $300 million loan backed by Sony/ATV and held by Barclays PLC matures at the end of the year, and before Mr. Jackson's death it loomed as a major financial challenge.

In striking the deal, Sony is betting that the appetite for Mr. Jackson's music will prove more than just a spike generated by his unexpected death and the ensuing round-the-clock coverage. A record contract struck in the early 1980s gave Mr. Jackson ownership of his recordings. Sony had the right to distribute those recordings through 2015. The new deal extends that right until 2017, and adds the rights to material recorded since then.

The new deal, like the one from the 1980s, was negotiated by John Branca, Mr. Jackson's long-time lawyer and now an administrator of the estate.

The deal retroactively covers the soundtrack album to "This Is It," plus a range of other releases, some of which have been mapped out, with others to be determined later. An album of previously unreleased songs is likely to hit stores before the end of this year, and another collection is due out later. The deal is also likely to cover expanded reissues of Mr. Jackson's albums "Off the Wall" and "Bad," as well as collections of remixes. A DVD of all of Mr. Jackson's music videos is likely to be created at some point.

Speculation has circulated that Cirque du Soleil would create a Las Vegas show based on Mr. Jackson's music, as it already has done with Beatles' music. If it does, a soundtrack album of some kind would likely be part of the deal.

The estate could probably wipe out the debts entirely by selling its half of Sony/ATV, although such a drastic step is viewed as unlikely now that Mr. Jackson's posthumous business is generating so much cash.

Mr. Jackson acquired ATV for $47.5 million in 1985. Sony in 1995 paid $150 million to become a 50% partner in the venture. Mr. Jackson's half is now valued at at least $1 billion.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

~Souza~

Re: The SONY DEAL WAS SIGNED IN 2008!
March 15, 2010, 11:11:09 PM
Quote from: "lovemj4everandever"
Look at the tagline....A TWO YEAR extension would make it 2019!  NOT 2017!  The deal was signed in 2008!!!!!!!

From the article...

"And we're told Sony gets a two-year extension for the right to distribute the Michael Jackson catalog -- to 2017."  And contracts ARE NOT retrospective to go back and cover something that has already been released like the 2-disc CD for This Is It!  Now the "always good to sing with my brother" is making sense!  OMG! This gets better every day!  

WE KNEW IT ALL ALONG!  That is when he contacted DiLeo about making a movie, in 2008, the kind of movie that had never been done before!   LMAO!  

So if that is true, can we all count how many projects are finished already?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 15, 2010, 11:14:18 PM
Quote from: "~Souza~"

From the article...

Well the CD for This is It, the Motion picture, and the DVD for This is it makes three already!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

March 15, 2010, 11:18:58 PM
Accordingto the Wall Street Journal article...

The deal retroactively covers the soundtrack album to "This Is It," plus a range of other releases, some of which have been mapped out, with others to be determined later.[/b]

So we have TII as release #1. What about the random mix albums that have been released since June 25th? I wonder how many of those count as retroactive releases?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 15, 2010, 11:23:16 PM
Duh...no wonder I'm spinning in circles. I interpreted 10 releases over 7 years to mean 10 albums over a 7 year period. You guys are looking at all releases i.e. movie, dvd ...blah blah blah.  :lol:

Quote from: "~Souza~"

From the article...

Well the CD for This is It, the Motion picture, and the DVD for This is it makes three already!   :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 15, 2010, 11:30:07 PM
Contracts are NOT RETROACTIVE!  That is all SPIN!  Our dear Michael signed this contract in 2008!!!!  That is why the two year extension takes it 2017 instead of 2019!  

:mrgreen:  :mrgreen:  :mrgreen:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 15, 2010, 11:39:18 PM
Cool. I didn't know that about contracts.  :oops:

Contracts are NOT RETROACTIVE!  That is all SPIN!  Our dear Michael signed this contract in 2008!!!!  That is why the two year extension takes it 2017 instead of 2019!  

friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

March 15, 2010, 11:40:20 PM
Quote from: "GirlSaturday"
Cool. I didn't know that about contracts.  :oops:

why are we excited about 2017? cause it has a 7 in it? i'm confused about this whole thing :oops:
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions