Hello everyone,
I went to an exhibition in Brussels yesterday where they are showing 3 photos taken by David Lachapelle last year.
They are beautiful, especially where Michael is standing on the devil (he's crying), the American Jesus one is realy sad....
They were taken in Hawaii in 2009.

They are called:
American Jesus: Hold me, carry me boldly
Archangel Michael: And No Message Could Have Been Any Clearer
The Beatification: I'll never let you part for you're always in my heart

FYI: the link for the exhibition is here: You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login
Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:13:32 AM by evolution
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Michael Jackson: the greatest spiritual teacher of our time.
You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login

First, thank you for posting these pics as I have not seen them before.
I do not wish to offend anyone or start arguments, but something feels very odd to me about these supposed photos. Are they really photos? The scenery appears to be so but the figures don't look authentic to the photos. Plus, the only one that looks like the current MJ to me is the "Beautification" photo.  The other two really look like ECassanova to me and we all know he was in Hawaii in 2009 (after MJ's "death").

What may be more striking is the message. Hmmm.......I am going to ponder that for awhile as I process my reaction to them. However, it will be interesting to read others comments in regards to the photos.  What do you all think????
Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 06:00:00 PM by Guest
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Michael Supporter
Be the change you wish to see in the world.
~Mahatma Gandhi

Yes  (the photos are "real life size" in the gallery - I was able to look realy close.
I agree, Michael doesn't look the same in them all.....maybe lighting, makeup? I can only go on what the artist himself says....

I think there may be a message too....If they are all Michael (and taken in 2009), he's fighting the devil and is "dead" in Jesus' arms. I realy have no idea what the beautification means, but I notice he has a dove (peace) and a clock in his hand (time).

About Ecasanova.....I realy don't think he looks 100% Michael, and up close looking at the pictures it never entered my head that they wern't Michael, but again up close the three "faces of michael" are not exactly the same.

Maybe if others are in Brussels they should take a look....the exhibition is free.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

About the beautification photo....the first thing I think of is Roman Catholicism and process to becoming a canonized saint. The two symbols of the dove and watch are indicators to this process as it takes time to become canonized and the dove indicating the Holy Spirit.
This artist has many religious pieces.....including a modern day "Last Supper". I wonder if the artist is Catholic?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Michael Supporter
~Mahatma Gandhi

mac5k

IT'S NOT MICHAEL  :?
The celebrity photographer and artist David LaChapelle had always wanted to take a portrait of Michael Jackson, and nearly did: several shoots were lined up and cancelled as Jackson grew increasingly wary. “Photographers weren’t nice to him,” says LaChapelle. “He got scared.” After Jackson’s death LaChapelle decided to pay tribute, photographing a young lookalike in Hawaii, just outside his own home: a 25-acre ranch on the coast, three hours from the nearest shop. He moved there three years ago, turning his back on lucrative contracts with Vanity Fair, Italian Vogue and Rolling Stone. The “devil” in red is a friend who performs in the Cirque du Soleil. The image forms part of a trilogy inspired by Mexican saint cards. LaChapelle is convinced that Jackson was innocent of paedophilia.

“I don’t think he was capable of hurting anyone,” he says. “I think there’s something really biblical about what happened. His lyrics are so naive and so beautiful. It’s one of the most epic stories of our time, to go from such heights to such depths. He’s a modern-day martyr.”
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Tina K.

To me it looks like paintings....
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Michael I love you allways.

Quote from: "mac5k"

Yes, you are right  :oops: I was so happy with the photos I didn't do a check on internet first....

Quote from: "Tina K."
To me it looks like paintings....
No, they realy are photos (digitaly altered to look like Michael, which is why I realy thought it was him lol....).

This is what LaChapelle himself says: (You are not allowed to view links. Register or Login)
MILLER: Can you give me an example?

LACHAPELLE: I have an image of Michael Jackson as an archangel, where I didn't even photograph him. He was a person living in biblical extremes: the most famous person on the planet, beloved in an almost devotional way, who then fell almost to the lowest depths of society; going from a dark skinned black man to a pale skinned white man... and all the while singing these songs about healing!
In the Martin Bashir interview, there's a kid with cancer without any hair. Then you see him later and he's better, and his family said that it was Michael's belief that cured him. Which, I'm Catholic, and healing the sick is one of the criteria for sainthood. Not to say that he really was a saint, but he was so otherworldly and certainly fits the requirements for martyrdom... He really brings into question all of these issues of gender and race, which are such hot button issues of society. Why can't a man hold a child's hand? Does it have to be erotic? I think that says as much about society as it does about him.

MILLER: So you created a portrait with Michael ever sitting for you? It sounds more like an effigy.

LACHAPELLE: For the picture I mentioned before, I used a Michael Jackson impersonator and spent weeks and weeks moving pixels around to create the face of Michael Jackson circa 1990. It's a photograph, but it's a not a portrait, so it sort of redefines what a photograph is. We spent so much time going back in and putting in details and flaws, and there's no question that it's Michael Jackson. But he never posed for it. It's a very strange concept. In a way, it's going back to painting. So it was time to go back to these more raw things like the collages.

PS: I changed the title of the post
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

TracyK

I think these are paintings and Carlo Riley said they were him. Or at least the one of the Angel is for sure Carlo. He said it right out of his mouth. MJ turned down the opportunity I think is how the story goes, and Carlo said he would love to.
Last Edit: May 18, 2010, 07:26:32 AM by TracyK
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Why Circa 1990 - that was way before any of the allegations. Why does everyone go back to those years and are not happy with post 2005 Michael.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

MJonmind

I think these "art pieces" say more about the artist and his belief than the actual Michael Jackson. They appear very Catholic-like, which doesn't represent Michael. When seeing them before I totally thought they were paintings, thus explaining why the faces don't really look like MJ. They are very beautiful, but IMO they don't match MJ's persona. Has the white American Jesus really been good to him in the USA?
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

TracyK

Quote from: "MJonmind"
I think these "art pieces" say more about the artist and his belief than the actual Michael Jackson. They appear very Catholic-like, which doesn't represent Michael. When seeing them before I totally thought they were paintings, thus explaining why the faces don't really look like MJ. They are very beautiful, but IMO they don't match MJ's persona. Has the white American Jesus really been good to him in the USA?

That was absolutely uncalled for!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: "mac5k"
The celebrity photographer and artist David LaChapelle had always wanted to take a portrait of Michael Jackson, and nearly did: several shoots were lined up and cancelled as Jackson grew increasingly wary. “Photographers weren’t nice to him,” says LaChapelle. “He got scared.” After Jackson’s death LaChapelle decided to pay tribute, photographing a young lookalike in Hawaii, just outside his own home: a 25-acre ranch on the coast, three hours from the nearest shop. He moved there three years ago, turning his back on lucrative contracts with Vanity Fair, Italian Vogue and Rolling Stone. The “devil” in red is a friend who performs in the Cirque du Soleil. The image forms part of a trilogy inspired by Mexican saint cards. LaChapelle is convinced that Jackson was innocent of paedophilia.

“I don’t think he was capable of hurting anyone,” he says. “I think there’s something really biblical about what happened. His lyrics are so naive and so beautiful. It’s one of the most epic stories of our time, to go from such heights to such depths. He’s a modern-day martyr.”

Thank you Mac5K.....I just had a feeling it wasn't MJ.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
Michael Supporter
~Mahatma Gandhi

MJonmind

Sorry I didn't mean to offend. In the painting he was referred to as an "American" Jesus, and America is seen by the world as predominately Christian, and they are the country that hurt him the most. Very sorry.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

mykidsmum

I was gonna say, before I read all the posts, that once again you can tell it is not MJ becaue the person who posed for these pictures is bow legged....MJ is very very knock kneed and MJ's feet flay out to the sides when he stands...plus MJ has thick upper legs usually even when he is at his thinnest, his thighs never look too thin like this guy.  LOL....MJ is a pear shape...LOL,
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

Quote from: mac5k
IT'S NOT MICHAEL  :?

Mexican. Interesting. Remember the one flight to Mexico and the first MJ sighting in Mexico.. I happen to know David quite well, and will see what I can find out about this shoot.
Last Edit: August 02, 2011, 08:58:20 PM by PureLove
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
dislike
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions